T-Mobile Unlimited Data?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
filo4u

T-Mobile Unlimited Data?

Post by filo4u » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:59 pm

Hello, I'm new at all this and tried out my t-mobile sim that's on an unlimited plan. I have my sim card inside an old Netgear LB1120 that my friend let me borrow for a couple of weeks, and everything is working great. At first, I was getting really slow speeds, but thanks to this forum, I found tips to change TTL value to 65. Now my download and upload speeds are the same as when I was testing it on my phone.

My question is, has anyone here received a warning or letter from t-mobile that you have been using way too much data? I know Sprint doesn't care because I am a hotspot user with the unlimited LTE plan. My only problem with Sprint is signal isn't great where I live and would need to invest in high-end antennas, LTE modem, and router to make it work better. Should I keep using T-Mobile or invest in getting Sprint to work? My other problem is, would all my investments in equipment be useless once T-Mobile and Sprint merge? Thank you in advance.

filo4u

Re: T-Mobile Unlimited Data?

Post by filo4u » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:04 am

Answering my own question here. Reading from a bunch of different articles and forums assuming the merger between T-Mobile and Sprint happens, T-Mobiles plan for band 41 is for 5g and not LTE. Investing equipment for Sprint's band 41 might not be worth it.

terryjett

Post by terryjett » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Greetings and welcome!

Honestly, I would lean towards T-mobile. Sprint's network is not near as solid and they have not invested near the $$$$ as t-mobile.

Been a Sprint user for years and it has always been "hit & miss" with network reliability. A coverage area that was rocking last month, may be barely usable t his month - been that way for years and has never changed.

Have also tested T-mobile over the years and for longest, I called them the "big city and interstate cell provider". Meaning they worked great in larger cities and along the interstate highway. Have always like T-mobile and the CEO, good people.

Concerning the merger, there are so many rumors could drive you insane. Here is a good reliable source of information:

https://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-posts- ... s-on-hold/

If I were going to invest in any equipment for either of the two, I would put my money on T-mobile.
These users thanked the author terryjett for the post:
filo4u (Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:36 pm)

filo4u

Post by filo4u » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:44 pm

Thank you for the excellent response! I do like T-Mobile's reliability. I'm just a little worried that I may be using too much data with just a regular unlimited cellphone line. I will eventually get the T-Mobile ISP service, but it isn't available in my area yet. I am just wondering if anyone has received a letter or call from t-mobile warning them about too much data use.

hinch16a

Post by hinch16a » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Upgrading your equipment is a definite: Router with custom firmware, Sierra modem, directional antenna, LMR 400, etc. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about 5g right now. Wait a few years. My 4g setup is pulling 50mb down/ 8mb up. I'm using AT&T, and during congestion I am prioritized. Might try Sprint because it's CDMA, or T-Mobile because their tower is the closest. I easily use 200Gb of data per month, so having little to no prioritization is a key factor.

SouthernBoyd

Post by SouthernBoyd » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:08 pm

I have been using T-Mobile Unlimited for a couple years in a 4G router (both ZBT WE826-T and WG3526). I also have several friends/customers who I helped set up the same. I typically use 200-300 GB per month and have never had an issue, nor have my friends. We use the connection for online gaming (Xbox Live) sometimes two at a time. We rarely see the effects of prioritization.

Early on, I found that I had to add the "Plus International" option that included unlimited high speed mobile hotspot (+$25/month) in order to get high speed through the router. I didn't know about the TTL setting at the time. This plan option is no longer available, so I am hesitant to remove it now that I know about the TTL setting. What is the plan you are using? They have a couple different levels of "Unlimited".

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Hello,
Been using T-Mobile for well over a year now. Got the Same unlimited Hot Spot plan. Keep it because it is the "right" thing to do and it includes HD streaming. Not breaking any rules with it that way. Told the guy at the T-Mobile store what I was going to do with it. Currently in a Mofi 4500. Like you didn't know about TTL Setting and at the time was just trying to get unlimited hot spot data. My son uses allot of data at times down loading computer stuff and have never had issues with being prioritized or them contacting me about my data use.
[attachment=0]T-Mobile Usage.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
T-Mobile Usage.jpg

SouthernBoyd

Post by SouthernBoyd » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:31 pm

gscheb wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Keep it because it is the "right" thing to do and it includes HD streaming. Not breaking any rules with it that way.
I tend to feel the same way about this.