Is this a complete parts list for a Raspberry Pi 3b+ router build?

Related to Modems, Hotspots, Dongles ONLY
motoguy

Re: Is this a complete parts list for a Raspberry Pi 3b+ router build?

Post by motoguy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:27 pm

swwifty wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:35 pm
That's a good start. I don't see anything obviously wrong or missed.

The nema enclosure I got from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791 ... UTF8&psc=1

I would go with the 9-11dbi "Yagi" Antennas on the LTE Fix store that are +/- 45 degree mounted.

I'd go with this PoE splitter as its designed specifically for the PIs: https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-PoE-Sp ... B07CNKX14C
Thanks for the info. I'll go with that enclosure, and that splitter as well. It'll save an adapter/failure point.

I still haven't decided on the "Yagi" antennas you mention ($80/pair), or the 15dbi flat panels ($90/pair, I still don't see how an antenna can have more gain, AND be less directional), or just bite the bullet and go with the parabolic dish ($400/pair). I wish I had a way to compare the differences, without actually having to buy them. lol

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:03 am

motoguy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:27 pm
Thanks for the info. I'll go with that enclosure, and that splitter as well. It'll save an adapter/failure point.

I still haven't decided on the "Yagi" antennas you mention ($80/pair), or the 15dbi flat panels ($90/pair, I still don't see how an antenna can have more gain, AND be less directional), or just bite the bullet and go with the parabolic dish ($400/pair). I wish I had a way to compare the differences, without actually having to buy them. lol
IMO the "Yagis" are the best bang for your buck. There's also other considerations you should consider.

1. If you get ice or snow where you live, you'll want something with a radome.

2. Weight is an issue if you have them mounted up high or at the end of a pole. The 15dbi panels are quite heavy.

3. The Yagis were the best overall performance I found, so thats one of the main reasons I chose them.

I wouldn't spend $400 on a parabolic dish, unless the cell tower you are trying to connect to is like 10+ miles away, and the signal is really weak with any other antenna.

motoguy

Post by motoguy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:06 am

I'm in Central MO, so we definitely have snow, sleet, and ice in the winter. I was concerned about weight/wind loading of the parabolics, particularly if I use a tallish mast. When I first started this project, I was under the impression that I'd need all the help I could get. We left ATT service (went to Verizon) a year or two ago, because we couldn't get ANY service at the house.

It appears ATT has changed coverage, as friends/family are now able to get ATT reception here, and even stream (watching a baseball game on the phone). My db readings using the ATT iPhone are in the -93 (best) to -126 (downstairs, in our walk-out basement). So, I may not need the max reach of the parabolics after all.

I agree, I think I'm going to start with the shielded yagi-style for now. We'll see what kind of signal we get, and go from there. Thanks.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:22 am

motoguy wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:06 am
I'm in Central MO, so we definitely have snow, sleet, and ice in the winter. I was concerned about weight/wind loading of the parabolics, particularly if I use a tallish mast. When I first started this project, I was under the impression that I'd need all the help I could get. We left ATT service (went to Verizon) a year or two ago, because we couldn't get ANY service at the house.

It appears ATT has changed coverage, as friends/family are now able to get ATT reception here, and even stream (watching a baseball game on the phone). My db readings using the ATT iPhone are in the -93 (best) to -126 (downstairs, in our walk-out basement). So, I may not need the max reach of the parabolics after all.

I agree, I think I'm going to start with the shielded yagi-style for now. We'll see what kind of signal we get, and go from there. Thanks.
Good luck! Going from inside to outside is at least 10dbm improvement, and going from cheap little 3dbi omnis to some real external antennas will probably net you another 10dbm improvement.