WE1326 cant connect to 5G WiFi

Related to Router Devices ONLY
Lbnaz

WE1326 cant connect to 5G WiFi

Post by Lbnaz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:14 pm

I Cannot connect to the 5G network on my router. I can connect up to the 2.4 but not the 5. I tried changing channel from 36 to 40, reduced the transmit power to 15db and finally reflashed the router with the latest firmware. I Still cannot connect up. I am using my phone to test it. Signal strength is excellent. I put in the proper password, and hit connect, the phone says connecting then switches to saved if I keep trying it will switch to disabled .
I am using firmware we1326v5-GO2019-04-10 downloaded from the modem and men site.
Any Ideas on what could be causing this?

JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: WE1326 cant connect to 5G WiFi

Post by JimHelms » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:59 pm

First, make sure you have the WE1326 V5. The WE1326 will allow uploading the V5 firmware, but not the other way around.

I would use the firmware recovery menu and reflash the router with GoldenOrb. That will assure there are no files left behind from the previous builds.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:16 am

Do you have any other devices nearby that are on 5 GHz? I see the exact same symptoms in connecting to my non-LTE router (my normal wireless access point), due to a conflict between one of the 5.8 GHz radios on there (it has 2, one at the lower channels and one at the higher end) and my T-Mobile cellular booster. The booster has 2 boxes that talk to each other over a non-802.11 protocol, but using the 5.8GHz frequencies.

Although that booster doesn't show up on this app, if you want to see what all is hanging out in the 2.4 and 5.8 channels, that are doing 802.11 protocols, I recommend downloading an app for windows called "inSSIDer". (Note: Don't keep the app running if you are doing speed tests over wifi, on the machine running the app. I've had it affect the test results when doing that.)

It could very well be a problem with the router firmware, but just figured I'd mention interference too, since your symptoms are identical to mine when I have that issue. Very frustrating when it happens and if it has been long enough that I forget about it. I think it might only happen with my 802.11ac device (an android tablet), but 802.11n is okay on my other devices. 802.11ac has wider channels, so I'm guessing that's probably why there is a greater chance of conflict with my out of band device.

Lbnaz

Post by Lbnaz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:26 am

JimHelms wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:59 pm
First, make sure you have the WE1326 V5. The WE1326 will allow uploading the V5 firmware, but not the other way around.

I would use the firmware recovery menu and reflash the router with GoldenOrb. That will assure there are no files left behind from the previous builds.
Jim, Yes I have the correct firmware. I have also did the firmware recovery. I have tried so far Golden Orb version, WiFix version and I did try the OEM firmware. All had the same results. I have also changed channel to 149 as this is the one I know my phone can connect to. Drove to a location where there were no other networks and had the same results.
Seems like some kind of hardware problem to me. Very frustrating, I selected this router over the we826 specifically because I wanted 5G network. Any suggestions?

Lbnaz

Post by Lbnaz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:33 am

xdavidx wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:16 am
Do you have any other devices nearby that are on 5 GHz? I see the exact same symptoms in connecting to my non-LTE router (my normal wireless access point), due to a conflict between one of the 5.8 GHz radios on there (it has 2, one at the lower channels and one at the higher end) and my T-Mobile cellular booster. The booster has 2 boxes that talk to each other over a non-802.11 protocol, but using the 5.8GHz frequencies.

Although that booster doesn't show up on this app, if you want to see what all is hanging out in the 2.4 and 5.8 channels, that are doing 802.11 protocols, I recommend downloading an app for windows called "inSSIDer". (Note: Don't keep the app running if you are doing speed tests over wifi, on the machine running the app. I've had it affect the test results when doing that.)

It could very well be a problem with the router firmware, but just figured I'd mention interference too, since your symptoms are identical to mine when I have that issue. Very frustrating when it happens and if it has been long enough that I forget about it. I think it might only happen with my 802.11ac device (an android tablet), but 802.11n is okay on my other devices. 802.11ac has wider channels, so I'm guessing that's probably why there is a greater chance of conflict with my out of band device.
xdavidx, Thanks for the suggestion.
I drove to a location with no networks, had the router 5G set to channel 149 as I know my phone can connect to this channel (my home 5g is on this channel and I can connect fine). I had the same results, it starts to connect then immediately disconnects and shows saved. if I keep trying it just disables. I don't know what else to try. I have tons of hours into this router so far & I am still not where I want to be.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:45 pm

Do you have another client device to test against the router, so that you can rule out an issue with your phone or an issue between the router and the phone combination?

There are two 802.11 protocols that work on 5.8GHz.

1) 802.11n
2) 802.11ac

To make things a little easier, have you separated out the SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5.8GHz? When I first ran GoldenOrb on the router, it had a single SSID that covered both of those. For troubleshooting, I'd recommend separating it out so that you have 2 SSIDs, one for 2.4GHz and one for 5.8GHz. Once you have that, we can look at the router wifi screens and maybe try some things with settings to figure it out.

Do you have any security enabled on the wifi on the router currently? I know you mentioned it before, but I would get rid of the encryption, just for testing purposes.

I know how frustrating wifi issues can be to troubleshoot when there aren't any good error messages and things just don't work.

Lbnaz

Post by Lbnaz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:48 pm

xdavidx,
I always separate SSID, makes it easier for troubleshooting and to know what network i am connecting to. I haven't tried the n only ac. I tried my roku which will connect up to my 5G home but not the WE1326, it does not even see it. My son has an Iphone XR and with his phone it sees it but will not connect. At one point in time I did have no encryption, it acted the same.
I have tried many things so far with the same results. I have used a wifi analyizer app on my phone and it does see the WE1326 with excellent signal on the channel I set in my case ch 149, bandwidth set to 80.
Thank you for the help.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:35 pm

Maybe try N just to see how that acts. Also try lowering the bandwidth to see if that helps.

Which model Roku is it?

Do you plan to use the wifi on the router permanently? The wifi isn't a strong-point on these LTE routers. Daisy chaining the LTE router to a regular router that excels at wifi performance is the general approach to getting the best out of the system. That doesn't mean the 5.8GHz shouldn't work at all, of course.

Lbnaz

Post by Lbnaz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:15 am

Roku is the ultra. Just got it this week. I will try the n band and try adjusting bandwidth shortly.

Lbnaz

Post by Lbnaz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 am

I don't need great WiFi , this is going in a 43 foot motor home. Anywhere inside it this should work out well.