[SOLVED!] Losing constant Internet connection on Mofi 4500 (and my mind)

Related to Router Devices ONLY
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
BillA

Re: [SOLVED!] Losing constant Internet connection on Mofi 4500 (and my mind)

Post by BillA » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:51 am

You could test the disconnect issue using the ATT APN's below, it may or may not help.
Sometimes different APN's may use different servers/proxies on the carrier's side.
First make sure that it works at all, then run it for a day and see how it goes.

phone
nxtgenphone
broadband

chuckkemp
Has thanked: 0

Post by chuckkemp » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:50 pm

Mofi has release a new firmware today (4_3_2std). I've uploaded and will report if any favorable qualities are evident. One thing I did notice is that more signals were displayed when doing a band search.

Change log:
- 4.3.2 Fixed Band Scanner Issues
- 4.3.2 Fixed Band Lock sometimes not locking correct
- 4.3.1 Fixed reconnect issue with the SIM7 model
- 4.3.0 Updated re-connection option to specify website pings
- 4.3.0 Updated Security patch
- 4.2.9 Fixed some re-connection issues on all networks including Verizon and T-Mobile
- 4.2.9 Fix Speed Throttling Option via MAC address (can now speed throttle by device)
- 4.2.8 Fixed some re-connection issues on ATT

BrentV

Post by BrentV » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:45 am

Thanks for letting us know about the firmware. I don't see anything in the changelog that indicates it will help, but worth a shot anyway. I sent Mofi a support ticket to see if they can shed any light on the issue. My disconnects are becoming increasingly more frequent as months go by. It started out it was about 1-2 times a day, then increased to about every 3-4 hours, then every 2 hours, and yesterday it was happening every hour. I've been trying band locks, TTL 64, TTL 65, the MTU 1430. I have yet to try a VPN, but I think it would still disconnect unless the VPN is setup on the mofi, or the connection monitoring is turned off, because as it is now the mofi checks if there's a connection and reboots the modem if not. During the reboot would still lose connection, so I'm curious those running VPN as a bandaid how its setup?

chuckkemp

Post by chuckkemp » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:53 pm

BrentV wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:45 am
Thanks for letting us know about the firmware. I don't see anything in the changelog that indicates it will help, but worth a shot anyway. I sent Mofi a support ticket to see if they can shed any light on the issue. My disconnects are becoming increasingly more frequent as months go by. It started out it was about 1-2 times a day, then increased to about every 3-4 hours, then every 2 hours, and yesterday it was happening every hour.
I called MoFi and talked to them about the problem a couple weeks back. They asked me to send an email and to download the system logs and send them along after a failure. Nothing but crickets since... I had also opened a ticket via the web interface and heard nothing from them. I also referenced this board for additional background as they said they haven't heard of any problems of which I find it hard to believe as it seems a common ATT user problem.

I too am experiencing a reset nearly every hour though at this moment the IPv4 has been running just over 2 hours. I saw no change after loading the aforementioned firmware other than I see more freq's when I do a band scan.

Festerw

Post by Festerw » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:46 am

I gave up with Mofi and Ubifi, I emailed back and forth with support a few times in June but never resolved anything and then they'd disappear with no response for weeks. It took me over a month to get a refund for the second router I bought from them and filing a Paypal dispute.

I got an email from TMobile that their Home Internet was available in my area and signed up the other day. So far the speeds are comparable to what I was getting with ATT/Ubifi, there's no disconnects, and it's $50/month.

BrentV

Post by BrentV » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:12 am

chuckkemp wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:53 pm
I called MoFi and talked to them about the problem a couple weeks back. They asked me to send an email and to download the system logs and send them along after a failure. Nothing but crickets since... I had also opened a ticket via the web interface and heard nothing from them. I also referenced this board for additional background as they said they haven't heard of any problems of which I find it hard to believe as it seems a common ATT user problem.

I too am experiencing a reset nearly every hour though at this moment the IPv4 has been running just over 2 hours. I saw no change after loading the aforementioned firmware other than I see more freq's when I do a band scan.
Yeah they replied within a few minutes of me opening my ticket and asked for the IMEI and S/N of my mofi, I replied immediately and haven't heard anything from them since. I agree, surely they know, or have heard of the issue. How could they not?
Festerw wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:46 am
I gave up with Mofi and Ubifi, I emailed back and forth with support a few times in June but never resolved anything and then they'd disappear with no response for weeks. It took me over a month to get a refund for the second router I bought from them and filing a Paypal dispute.

I got an email from TMobile that their Home Internet was available in my area and signed up the other day. So far the speeds are comparable to what I was getting with ATT/Ubifi, there's no disconnects, and it's $50/month.
Yeah I'm still waiting for Tmobile, or Starlink or something to be available in my area. The cat and mouse with these providers is tiring. As is having unreliable internet. On the plus side my disconnects over the last week or so has slowed again for no apparent reason. I'm in the middle of my billing cycle so its not like it was reset. I haven't made any other changes, but I get anywhere from 2-4.5 hrs now. Much more tolerable.

terryjett

Post by terryjett » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:29 am

Approved a post few days ago and got me to thinking, could this have anything to do with the disconnects?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2065#p14276 (pls thank @LTE_WAN for find)

The link provided in post leads to to https://www.criticalstart.com/critical- ... i-routers/

"CVE-2020-13859 Authentication Bypass"

Maybe a long shot and not the issue, but nevertheless needs to be brought out into the light :)

coinball32
Been thanked: 0

Post by coinball32 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:06 am

It seems I'm suffering from an almost identical issue/situation - would using the Mofi CloudLink service (which I understand to be a VPN) provide the same solution?

j2227

Post by j2227 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:20 pm

terryjett wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:29 am
Approved a post few days ago and got me to thinking, could this have anything to do with the disconnects?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2065#p14276 (pls thank @LTE_WAN for find)

The link provided in post leads to to https://www.criticalstart.com/critical- ... i-routers/

"CVE-2020-13859 Authentication Bypass"

Maybe a long shot and not the issue, but nevertheless needs to be brought out into the light :)
Thanks for the link. This is very good to know from a user standpoint. I am waiting for my modem (Quectel EM12-G) and router (Linksys WRT1200AC) to arrive and just ordered an enclosure here on the LTEFix store, so once I get up and running, with the help of @undertowzen I can attempt to make a tutorial on how to get this new modem up and running.

I noticed my disconnects leave me still connected to Google (I was changing the settings to my Google account and noticed I couldn't get to any other sites). This was addressed on the forum...I don't remember why it does that though. Can somebody refresh my memory?

chuckkemp

Post by chuckkemp » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:27 pm

As their referenced firmware 4.2.5_std, on 4.3 MoFi provided a security updated. Can't say if it addressed these reported issues in the link above but 4.3.2_std is the latest firmware available and it still has the disconnect issue.