Question about rural setup + upload speeds

Related to Router Devices ONLY
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
blobfish

Re: Question about rural setup + upload speeds

Post by blobfish » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:46 pm

Dr-BroadBand wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:31 pm
Would agree with Adm1jth, you will be up and running soon!!

The only hard part of this game is spoofing your self onto the network with an older $20, iPad SIM.
It can be done but sometimes it takes a little black magic.

A weak signal can be a little of a challenge but can be solved with a good antenna setup,

On an iPhone
Call this number to put the iPhone into field test mode.
*3001#12345#* will give you clues how good your signal is in your area.

See link for what a good number is for a signal
https://ltefix.com/cellular-signal-guide
Oh only my brother uses iPhone, I think he'll be up for the weekend but hopefully we'll have everything sorted by then anyway! Thank you very kindly for the info, the help on this forum is beyond anything!

blobfish

Post by blobfish » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:49 pm

Adm1jtg wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:35 am
If on android I use either LTE discovery, network cell info lite or cellmapper. They are all in playstore and all free. More a matter of whoch interface you find easiest to use.
Oh how wonderful!! I did find out from a customer service person where the nearest T-Mobile tower and while only around 3 miles it's through plenty of trees...that said even in a phone data download is often over 20 mbps so here's to hoping that we can achieve respectable speeds with a proper router and modem!! :D

I will certainly check out those apps tomorrow too, thanks for sharing! :)

Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:47 am

blobfish wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:39 pm
You're very kind, thank you! :)

So, this seems like a very basic question, but if you could please point me in the direction of any sort of guide for getting set up I would greatly appreciate it!

The thing is, I am a bit flummoxed as to where to even start! So for example, the modem I've ordered (due to arrive Thursday / tomorrow!!), it appears to be without a case. So, does this mean it needs to be installed within the case of the wifi router...?

And from there, I assume I download the firmware onto my computer, then connect to the new network, and configure things (possibly using trial and error)?

I had a read of your explanation of things like TTL, soooo I'm starting to get used to the lingo but I've got a ways to go!!

Btw I really like your profile pic! Reminds me of the 90s and driving out in the county and seeing some maaaassive satellite dishes...I noticed recently you don't see those anymore, at least not around here. But still, it's a nice bit of nostalgia :)
Ok I didnt see the specifics of your order but here are the basics for first steps when you get all your equipment.

You are correct the modem is a small card that will install inside your router. You simply slide it into the slot in the router, kinda like when you install a memory sim in a computer, and put one screw in to hold it in place. You then take the pigtails, the tiny gold ends of the pigtail press onto the modem card (be careful and gentle take your time till you FEEL them press on). Rotate then slightly when pushing down to make sure they feel like they are on correctly.

The other ends bolt into the holes in the case of your router. Note the case side might already be installed for you by ltefix. If your using the included internal antennas you just screw those on the appropriate place on the outside of your router, they are usually labelled, 4g, 5g and 2.4g both on the router and on the antenna itself.

If you are using external antennas you would be replacing the (2) 4g labelled antennas with the cables running from your antenna(s) on the roof.

Thats really it for hardware,

As far as software I would think that goldenorb whatever variant would come pre-installed. If not I am sure the guys in here can link you to the process for what I call. factory reset and reload as some routers come with chinese firmware, but I think you ordered all your things from ltefix so that shoudnt be an issue.

Now all you do is connect an ethernet cable from your computer to the router, any port will do. in your browser type in the correct ip address to access your router (I think its usually 192.168.1.1), login and password are usually admin and admin respectively. Once in go to the modem tab then the configuration profile and in the apn section put in the correct apn for your provider.

That should get you basic connectivity. I will be honest I forget where the ttl settings are at as its literally a set it and forget it setting and its been over a year for me. I am sure one of the more knowledgeable people in here then me can point yo to that setting.

After all that its just a matter of letting your ocd work for you, aiming the antennas while on the roof and monitoring signal and also testing which lte bands work best for you.

Its seems like kinda a lot to take in i know but as a quote from a favorite book of mine says:
DONT PANIC

We got your back and it really isnt that hard just take it step by step and realize I gave a fairly detailed description for something that in reality will take you like I said before about 10 minutes, lol probably less time then it took me to write this,

blobfish

Post by blobfish » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:37 pm

Wow thank you so much for these instructions!!! :o Seriously blown away here, thank you!! :D
Adm1jtg wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:47 am
You are correct the modem is a small card that will install inside your router. You simply slide it into the slot in the router, kinda like when you install a memory sim in a computer, and put one screw in to hold it in place.
So haha it's just arrived, and this is my first stumbling block I'm afraid!! I can't see where the silly modem goes inside the router, I promise you I've installed ram in plenty of laptops, changed laptop screens out, even upgraded HDDs to SSD ones, which involves cloning the original drive - so I'm a total novice, I swear! (ofc I do admit all that's pretty low-level stuff, not to mention also I did all that stuff back in the day, and I've come to realize that world is a much different place when you have ample time to research and figure things out...)

This is the equipment I have:

https://ltefix.com/shop/modems/sierra-w ... ced-modem/

https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/wifix-r ... 8ghz-wifi/

I notice it does say this about the router: "The NEXR5GO is equipped with a single Mini PCI-E modem slot which allows modem installation without additional hardware."

Is the slot super hidden?! And I'm wondering, the picture shown below the above quote, did they just remove the router's case to show it looks like when it's installed? I don't want to remove the case unnecessarily...

Thank you again so much, can't say that enough!!! :D

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:41 pm

Look at this Link. Will show pictures of where it goes.

https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/wifix-r ... 8ghz-wifi/

Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:49 pm

Short answer... yes you have to open the case. Wen you do you will see the green board like in the pic and the modem slot is the bottom right hand area. In the pic you see the modem already installed.

If you look closely at the green board pic that silver square is your modem. You can see the 2 small gold connectors on the left edge of it and the black plastic bar is where you insert the gold stripe part of the modem into. This will put it in at an angle you then press down so its flat and insert the one screw.

Dont forget you will have to press those 2 small gold connectors onto the modem card. Some think its easier to do this with the modem loose some say do it after the modem is scrwed in. Either way works,

blobfish

Post by blobfish » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:23 pm

Adm1jtg wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:49 pm
You can see the 2 small gold connectors on the left edge of it and the black plastic bar is where you insert the gold stripe part of the modem into. This will put it in at an angle you then press down so its flat and insert the one screw.

Dont forget you will have to press those 2 small gold connectors onto the modem card. Some think its easier to do this with the modem loose some say do it after the modem is scrwed in. Either way works,
I have the modem in but I am struggling with those little gold connectors!! Everyone including yourself says they can break so it's making me quite nervous to press down! I feel like the bit on the modem itself is slightly off-center, while the holes in the gold connectors are quite on-center......... :shock:

But thanks for the advice!!!

Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:33 pm

Line them up best you can and you can EXTREMELY gently rock them a little till you feel them push in.

I will be honest with you I bought the epo6-a modem for a few reasons but one main reason was it uses the larger gold connectors... and they are still pretty small and challenging to connect.

If you have someone hold a magnifying glass or a camera on zoom mode when you try to connect them it might be a little easier with that zoomed in look at it. You can also look at the pins in the modems connector to see if your suspicions are correct in that the pins arent 100% straight.

blobfish

Post by blobfish » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:46 pm

GOT IT!!! oh that was a doozy but it's all closed up now!! There were quite satisfying clicks, phew!!

...tho haha reading what you just wrote, I probably should've inspected everything one last time but I was just so relieved!

oh this is a bit vexing however, while the external antennas are labelled I don't see labels on the actual router itself! On closer inspection of the picture from the website (https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/wifix-r ... 8ghz-wifi/), it looks like the forward left one is 4g at least....? :P

They only have a firmware tutorial at the moment, with a promise to "soon" have instructions for how to install the modem and all that jazz hmm I wonder if it's pretty standard which side they go on...?

Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:06 pm

You can cheat.... the (2) 4g antennas are the ones that run from the modem on those wonderful pigtails you just installed, Looking at the pic from above again the green board one that would seem to be your front left and front right ones.

Sometimes the antennas are "keyed" differently aka the antennas will only fit on the correct terminal. If not see above for where to put the 4g ones :D