[SOLVED!] Losing constant Internet connection on Mofi 4500 (and my mind)

Related to Router Devices ONLY
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
joshuacoggins
Been thanked: 0

Re: [SOLVED!] Losing constant Internet connection on Mofi 4500 (and my mind)

Post by joshuacoggins » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:10 pm

Same as others in that I signed up due to the same issue as the OP. I'm not a network techy by no means but hope to help by providing additional info.

Setup

ISP: UbiFi w/unlimitted ATT 4G
Router: MFOI4500-4GXeLTE V2
- w/ default setup through UbiFi instructions
- 4.2.8-std firmware
- Setup IP Passthrough/Bridge Mode
Wifi: Google AC2200 router (mesh w/ 2 access points)
- Router is connected directly to MoFi using ethernet cable to one of the four ports

During the week, my wife and I work from home, and we starting losing connectivity every couple hours or more starting early October as mentioned by many others. Over the weekend, connectivity never dropped but mostly streamed Youtube TV, Nexflix, etc. She started work a few hours earlier than me this morning and never had an issue (doesn't connect to their network through VPN). I login using a secure VPN to my company's network, and the connectivity dropped within the first 30 minutes.

When we lose internet connectivity, I never have to restart the Mofi or the Google router. I simply switch the ethernet cable from one port to the next one over and begins to work immediately. There's no reason why I started doing this other than my non-techy attempt to resolve our problem because I got tired of restarting. Thought I'd share this approach in case it helps the techy guys with additional info or helps the non-techy folks avoid the time to restart everything. I plan to try out a few suggestions and will share the results if positive. Also, I got the Wilson antenna a couple days ago but haven't installed/setup yet given that it will not solve the issue.

TBHockeysl
Has thanked: 0

Post by TBHockeysl » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:36 am

Not sure what changed, i am on 4.3.0-std on my MOFI4500, i have been having issues for months but my router has now been up for 4+ Days without issue....just an FYI if anyone else is seeing the same.

techp1

Post by techp1 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:50 pm

TBHockeysl wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:36 am
Not sure what changed, i am on 4.3.0-std on my MOFI4500, i have been having issues for months but my router has now been up for 4+ Days without issue....just an FYI if anyone else is seeing the same.
Are you running off mofi itself or have router attached?

RuralLTEHacker

Post by RuralLTEHacker » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:27 am

Let me say THANKS for a new angle on my problem which was identical to yours... I will summarize my issues:
- I have used AT&T, Cricket, AC Communications (all AT&T based LTE networks)...Problem exists on all and gets worse over the course of 1-4 weeks. More and more dropped connections.
- Like you, my daughter could be streaming something fine and on my powerful desktop I can't even reach a webpage. Sometimes they are DNS errors, sometimes, just timeout errors. I am not sure what the issue is, but we are both on same home WiFi network and using same Google Mesh router with a Netgear LB1120 modem with 2x2 MIMO.
- I was at my wits end as changing providers, changing SIM cards, changing routers, changing modems all led to the same issue...more and more dropped connections requiring modem reboot (and sometimes needing to reboot Google Mesh router, although the latter was less than 10% of the time.). But rebooting 5-10 times a day became the norm.
- I pray activating my NordVPN on my main computer (not router or modem) will do the trick. Time will tell, but your suggestion is at least new and novel and may establish a more secure and stable connection.
- I still don't really know how to explain the fact my child can stream video and I can't get to a page...And it's NOT just that her browser is caching video as it can go on for 10 minutes while I can't connect.
- I still want to try a couple things: 1) setting up dual mimo directional/yagi antennas and/or 2) using a modem/router with band locking. But I have one big confusion... Can band locking work with dual 2x2 Mimo antennas? I have been researching carrier aggregation and mimo and am still confused if the 2 connections occur on the same band (e.g. Band 2) or the 2 connections must occur on different bands (eg. Band 2 and 12). The netgear software only displays 1 band connection, but the device supports 2x2 mimo. So I am thinking that you can have more than one connection on the same band and Mimo can work while modem is connected on one band. But I am still figuring out if band locking can function with the benefits of 2x2 mimo. If so, it might make sense for me to switch to a modem with band locking AND supports 2x2 mimo to take advantage of dual external yagi antennas. Any help sorting this out would be MUCH appreciated.

THANKS

JTontheFly

Post by JTontheFly » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:37 am

I'm running the MOFI4500-4GXeLTE V2. After doing a factory reset of the router, I applied firmware 4.3.2-std this past Monday morning (November 16th). My router has not disconnected since, with the exception of when I was doing a band scanner test and at the completion of that operation I had lost internet access on the laptop that was plugged directly into the MOFI. I did a hard reboot of the router by unplugging it from the wall. So far, so good. This is the longest my internet has stayed connected since June of this year. Honestly, I don't know if the firmware made a difference but I'll post my continued results. My ISP is Ubifi w/unlimitted using ATT 4G.

j2227

Post by j2227 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:47 pm

That latest firmware update did nothing for me. Still the same dropped calls when ZOOMing. My colleagues joke that I have dial-up :roll:

I am now using my new Netgear router with Golden Orb. The connection seems the same so far. I turned off Wifi on the Mofi.

Still waiting on the modem and antenna.

techp1

Post by techp1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:42 pm

I can't even get the internet light to work on my mofi 4500 with att ipad sim.... Shows still active on att website

techp1

Post by techp1 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 pm

And... Looks like they've shut down plan