My 4G setup/project

This a discussion place for anything.
swwifty

Re: My 4G setup/project

Post by swwifty » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:06 pm

I posted over on the Ubiquiti forums a summary of this problem, because, honestly, theres quite a few guys over there and know their RF stuff. Hopefully someone will have an idea.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/The-Loung ... 417#M49707

Also, it recently dawned on me that about 200-300 away almost directly in line with where the signal would be coming from, is a giant structure with a metal roof on my neighbors property. I'm wondering if this is causing the issues?

You can see it circled in red here, with my house at the top, where my antennas are mounted. The green line is a direct line to the cell tower.
multipath sat view.png
multipath sat view.png (183.64 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Found a really good short read on LOS, that answered some of my questions in this, but still doesn't explain it all:

https://s.campbellsci.com/documents/au/ ... uction.pdf

farmall240

Post by farmall240 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am

swwifty - i'm not sure if this thread is still active/monitored but i've sure learned a heap about cellular data configurations, which is a problem i'm plagued with. A question i keep having come up in my mind when i read through this forum and many others, is that i always see antennas oriented at both level and plumb. I understand why the two orientations are necessary, however i'm curious why they're not oriented at 45 degrees and 135 degrees. I find references in many places that 4G signals are slant polarized. Thought i'd try and learn why my thinking is incorrect.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:12 am

farmall240 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am
swwifty - i'm not sure if this thread is still active/monitored but i've sure learned a heap about cellular data configurations, which is a problem i'm plagued with. A question i keep having come up in my mind when i read through this forum and many others, is that i always see antennas oriented at both level and plumb. I understand why the two orientations are necessary, however i'm curious why they're not oriented at 45 degrees and 135 degrees. I find references in many places that 4G signals are slant polarized. Thought i'd try and learn why my thinking is incorrect.
This thread is still very much active if you have questions :)

I'm assuming by your meaning of antennas that are level and plumb, is antennas that are vertical and horizontal. I can't speak without specific examples, but some 4G antennas are only capable of being mounted in vertical or horizontal positions. Even if the cell tower antennas are mounted +/- 45 degrees this will still work with only a loss of 3db per polarization. The reason you want to match polarization of the cell tower is so you don't lose this 3db, as well as antennas that are mounted +/- 45 degrees are better at penetrating obstructions like trees, etc. This is because most obstacles in the world are either vertical or horizontal. Most are not +/- 45 degrees, so the electromagnetic waves can more easily pass through these obstructions. I did some tests in the past, and the differences are quite noticeable between slant polarization mounted antennas, and vertical/horizontally mounted antennas. And yes, pretty much all LTE tower side antennas are +/-45 degrees polarization it is the industry standard. Hopefully that answers your questions.

kckrawford

Post by kckrawford » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:52 pm

@Swwifty

Just recently ordered a setup to match what you have here, except i ordered the panel antennas instead of the yagi's. I currently have a Mofi4500 w/ AT&T sim, and while speeds are decent, after seeing your setup, i realized that there was much more to be had. I also ordered the EM7511 as it has any possible band that I could connect to on the tower that's the closest to me (1.7 miles)

Now that i've got everything on order, there are a few questions I have that i'm hoping you can help me with. I've done some research, but can't seem to find a guide on how you actually install Goldenoord onto the rasberry pi. Any insight you can give me on that?

Next, with this setup, are you able to just use a standard wireless router as the access point inside the house for TV's, AppleTv, Phones, tablets, etc...?

Look forward to getting all of this setup, and would appreciate any help you can deliver along the way. Thanks

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:36 pm

kckrawford wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:52 pm
@Swwifty

Just recently ordered a setup to match what you have here, except i ordered the panel antennas instead of the yagi's. I currently have a Mofi4500 w/ AT&T sim, and while speeds are decent, after seeing your setup, i realized that there was much more to be had. I also ordered the EM7511 as it has any possible band that I could connect to on the tower that's the closest to me (1.7 miles)

Now that i've got everything on order, there are a few questions I have that i'm hoping you can help me with. I've done some research, but can't seem to find a guide on how you actually install Goldenoord onto the rasberry pi. Any insight you can give me on that?

Next, with this setup, are you able to just use a standard wireless router as the access point inside the house for TV's, AppleTv, Phones, tablets, etc...?

Look forward to getting all of this setup, and would appreciate any help you can deliver along the way. Thanks
Congrats and I wish you good luck on your adventure!

As far as installing GoldenOrb on the Raspberry PI, it's fairly straight forward. You'll need a microsd card for the raspberry pi (16gb or less is plenty). Visit the GoldenOrb download page, and download the image for the correct raspberry pi you have. At that point, you'll need to flash it to your microsd card. You can follow the instructions here to do that:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

Simply scroll to the bottom, and select the appropriate instructions for the OS you are running. Once you've burned the image into the SD card, simply pop it into the Raspberry PI and turn it on. At that point, you can plug in a computer directly with ethernet to the PI and connect to the web interface to configure GoldenOrb.

The raspberry PI 3 has a built in wireless card that, if I recall correctly is supported by GoldenOrb. With this you can do a 5ghz wireless SSID if you want. I normally recommend buying a separate access point, and mounting it in a central location to your home for best coverage. The Ubiquiti AC Lite is a solid choice that doesn't break the bank.

kckrawford

Post by kckrawford » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:01 pm

Appreciate the info! I'll do some more reading on all of it tonight.

I believe i have everything ordered that i'll need, and your are right, i think i will do a quality router for inside the house for all the other accessories to connect to.

I plan on doing an outside mount as you did with the Pi so i don't think the wireless signal would be too good inside the house at that point.

Configuring the GoldenOrb is what i'm most worried about. Will definitely have to get with you on the configuration.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:29 am

kckrawford wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:01 pm
Appreciate the info! I'll do some more reading on all of it tonight.

I believe i have everything ordered that i'll need, and your are right, i think i will do a quality router for inside the house for all the other accessories to connect to.

I plan on doing an outside mount as you did with the Pi so i don't think the wireless signal would be too good inside the house at that point.

Configuring the GoldenOrb is what i'm most worried about. Will definitely have to get with you on the configuration.
I think you mean an access point, not a router. Those are two different things :)

Yeah for sure, let me know if I can help in any way.

kckrawford

Post by kckrawford » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Apparently i've got some more research to do. So here is what i'm trying to accomplish so maybe you can point me in the right direction.

I want to be able to hard wire a few items in (couple of playstations and a PC), but also be able to have wireless access for phones, ipads, apple tv, etc. Judging by the setup, the cat5 cable run from the POE splitter inside the box outside, and connects to a POE desktop adapter inside which would connect to the router/access point correct? I guess this is the part of the setup that i'm not 100% on. I'd like to have one central point that I can access by hard wiring and also by wireless.

For example, the current setup is that i have the Mofi4500 mounted inside the house, and then have a few lan cables run into for the playstations, but can also access it wirelessly if need be. This is what i'm trying to accomplish but doing it with the raspberry pi setup and a better setup outside to gain better signal/speeds.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:02 pm

kckrawford wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:26 pm
Apparently i've got some more research to do. So here is what i'm trying to accomplish so maybe you can point me in the right direction.

I want to be able to hard wire a few items in (couple of playstations and a PC), but also be able to have wireless access for phones, ipads, apple tv, etc. Judging by the setup, the cat5 cable run from the POE splitter inside the box outside, and connects to a POE desktop adapter inside which would connect to the router/access point correct? I guess this is the part of the setup that i'm not 100% on. I'd like to have one central point that I can access by hard wiring and also by wireless.

For example, the current setup is that i have the Mofi4500 mounted inside the house, and then have a few lan cables run into for the playstations, but can also access it wirelessly if need be. This is what i'm trying to accomplish but doing it with the raspberry pi setup and a better setup outside to gain better signal/speeds.
What you need is a switch and an access point.

The ethernet cable from outside that runs in, will connect to the injector, then the switch. From there you can plug in the hard wired devices and the access point into the switch.

You don't need a router per say, cause GoldenOrb running on your PI is your router aka. default gateway for your network.

Hope that helps.