DSL vs 4G LTE

This a discussion place for anything.
ira.kirby

DSL vs 4G LTE

Post by ira.kirby » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:59 am

This connection test is shown from a PS4.

The first picture is 4G LTE (hard wired)
Please note, I have no LOS, many trees, and I live in the Foothills of SC.

The second picture shows the "connection" I've dealt with for the past 12 years, on AT&T DSL. (hard wired)

My setup is a WE826 router, and a MC7700 modem, with stock(included)antennas.

I haven't made any changes(other than updating firmware), this is simply a plug and play test run. I actually received my equipment last night, hooked it up, and giggled like a kid on Christmas morning.

I'll eventually add external antennas after switching carries, because AT&T has a nasty strict NAT that doesn't allow me to fully use my speeds.

Thanks to everyone at LTEFix and LTEHacks! Ya'll are awesome!
Attachments
4G LTE
4G LTE
AT&T DSL
AT&T DSL
These users thanked the author ira.kirby for the post:
JimHelms (Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:25 am)

swwifty

Re: DSL vs 4G LTE

Post by swwifty » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:59 pm

Wow, that's quite the difference! I bet you will get 2 to 3 times that speed with outside external antennas.

Do you have a screenshot of your signal status? It would be interesting to see that info.
These users thanked the author swwifty for the post:
ira.kirby (Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:34 pm)

ira.kirby

Post by ira.kirby » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:33 pm

That would be awesome! Thanks for the interest, and if you can add anything, please do!
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-10-04-19-15-32.png

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:38 pm

is that the signal strength on your phone, or the WE826 router? Also, what operating system are you running on it? I highly recommend installing GoldenOrb, if its not running that already. Reason I ask, is it has a lot more detailed info available in it. From what I can gather, that doesn't look like too bad of a connection, but you can always benefit from having external antennas, regardless of their type.

ira.kirby

Post by ira.kirby » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:28 pm

The signal status is from the router, I logged in from my phone. Is that correct? I am running the current version of GoldenOrb and can get you any info you're interested in, but may need clear directions. I'm new to the depth of all this. I did screenshot the bottom half of the signal status but it didn't upload. I will upload it now along with a couple others for comparison.
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-10-04-19-16-10.png
Screenshot_2018-10-04-22-02-21.png
Screenshot_2018-10-04-22-03-06.png

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:13 am

oh, that info is good, but is that an app on your phone that connects to your router/modem to view info? I've never seen those screenshots before much less on GoldenOrb.

If you login to the router interface from your computer, you will go to Modem -> Misc -> AT-Command and type 'at!gstatus?' like in the screen shot below.
Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 11.10.00 AM.png

ira.kirby

Post by ira.kirby » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:35 pm

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I found what you were asking for, the previous screenshot is just a basic connection status on the page where you first login to the router. These pics come from the AT command. I just got a new antenna, so I'll be tweaking it tonight for better connection. I'm learning slowly, but it's keeping me interested which is rare!
Attachments
20181017_211421.jpg
20181017_211410.jpg

ira.kirby

Post by ira.kirby » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Without taking too much of your time, could you give me any tips? Please forgive my questions if they seem unanswerable, as I may or may not understand what I'm talking about haha.

I see I'm connected to B4. But my router seems to be "set" for B2. Is this an issue, or am I even correct?

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Sure, I'm glad to help where I can! I'll address a few different topics/questions below.

1. I'm not sure what you mean by your modem/router is connected to Band 4, but is set for Band 2? Is that pictured somewhere in the screenshots? All I see is you connected to Band 4. You can "lock" your modem to a specific band, but for most use cases that is not ideal or desired. I would let the modem select the proper band.

2. What antennas did you get?

3. The signal values in your screenshot look pretty good, except for the SINR (Signal to Noise Ratio) In my opinion, and experience, SINR, is in fact, the most important value in LTE. In your case, you have a negative signal to noise ratio. The fact that your connection is even working with a negative signal to noise ratio is amazing to me. You want this value to be as high as possible. Here's a few links I'd recommend reading on what this value means, and why you want to increase it:

https://www.radio-electronics.com/info/ ... -ratio.php

SINR is really important in LTE, because the higher the signal to noise ratio, the higher modulation rate you will get, and hence throughput. LTE uses an adaptive modulation scheme based on SINR. Below is a example on a 10mhz bandwith LTE cell:

https://www.mwrf.com/sites/mwrf.com/fil ... TEfig5.gif

All this being said, I'd first recommend taking your modem/router setup outside, and comparing the signal results to what you get outside. You might need an extension cord outside or something to be able to move it around and compare. Additionally, I'd recommend looking at http://www.antennasearch.com/ and trying to figure out where the cell tower in your area is that you are connecting to. If you can't figure it out, you can kind of figure this out through experimentation. Start by moving your modem/router from one side of the house to the other (or all 4 corners) and see which spot has the strongest signal. Chances are that side will be the direction the signal is coming from (your house is really good at blocking signal). Then you can coorelate that to antennasearch. If you can get a good signal to noise ratio inside the house (I'd say greater than 10 at least), then you'll likely never need to mount antennas outside. In my experience though, everytime you double your SINR, you'll double your thoughput.

Hopefully thats helpful, and not information overload. Let me know if you have any other questions, and what results you find!
These users thanked the author swwifty for the post:
ira.kirby (Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:38 pm)

ira.kirby

Post by ira.kirby » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:07 am

He's a few screenahots of a more dialed in connection. I'll answer your previous questions tomorrow, and I appreciate all suggestions and info. I'm learning as I go. Any idea why my UL is so high in the fourth pic? This was taken with speed test, but with my phone on wifi. Not sure if that matters, or if I need to use a computer? The first two pics are from a laptop with a wired connection, the last 3 pics relate, and the middle two that show a history of speeds are just that.
Attachments
20181019_190846.jpg
20181019_190903.jpg
Screenshot_2018-10-18-04-16-19.png
Screenshot_2018-10-22-01-26-54.png
Screenshot_2018-10-22-01-26-44.png
Screenshot_2018-10-22-01-24-56.png
Screenshot_2018-10-22-01-24-29.png