Rural Internet For Dummies - MOFI4500 + TMobile?

This a discussion place for anything.
Didneywhorl

Re: Rural Internet For Dummies - MOFI4500 + TMobile?

Post by Didneywhorl » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:53 pm

heyjb wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:23 pm
What would you recommend besides the Mofi?
I replied to your other post. :)

Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:29 pm

gscheb wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:44 am
Yes sounds like congestion/de-prioritization.
Yes external antennas get better signal than a phone. (your phone signals are not terrible by all means)
Then with antennas on your router / modem could be even better.
Best in my opinion to have wide band antennas. Wide band antennas just means they have the ability to get al different kinds of signals / bands.
Those Yagi Type are usually tuned to just one signal frequency.
At first I wouldn't even go with outdoor antenna take it one step at a time.
Also wouldn't recommend the Mofi if you haven't bought one already.

Here is a signal range you should be shooting for.

Signal Metrics.PNG
Are you sure the values in that chart are correct? The one I found and have been using is very different.
https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/vie ... mendations
scroll down to the 4g/lte section for a chart like yours but with very different values.

As long as I am asking even on my chart I have an issue. It says RSRP > 100 means no signal yet many times when I am on band 4 or band 66 my RSRP is -112 all the way to -118 and i still stream shows reasonably well? I have found yet other sources that says RSRP actually goes to -140 and -120 to -140 is the poor category.

Is there a chart we can all use that is actually accurate?

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:46 pm

Been using that one from ltefix for a long time. For me always found it to be right. After about -118 signal so bad can't do much at all. You do not want signals lower than that. Don't ignore the quality either. So what you got going on? Struggling with something?

Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:08 am

Well for example my rsrq is never better then -12 and usually -13 to -15
my sinr based on the at command is 12-13
and like i said earlier my rsrp is anywhere from -112 to -116 (depending on lte band)
My concern is this... my system is working great, but if I used that chart as a guide I would be like man I have TERRIBLE signal strength and mediocre at best quality and would be horribly discouraged. 2 out of three factors in the absolute lowest category.

I very consistently get 10-25 down and around 3-5 up. To me this is not POOR like the charts say, this is actually all I need and I would guess all most need at a minimum, especially in areas like mine that are horriffic terrain wise.

I am just worried that that chart will discourage alot of people unnessessarily or worse cause them to over buy.

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 am

Those speeds you are posted can be had with poor signals. This is correct. Used to get like 45 down with -114.

Need those charts to help you tune in your outdoor antennas if you have them. And to understand if you have signal issues. They are very helpful. With out them just shooting into the dark.

Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:37 am

LTEFIX and others have used the same guidelines for a while.
https://ltefix.com/cellular-signal-guide/

Honestly I don't know which are "correct" but my guess is it's not as simple as X stat means bad or good, but a combination that is above a simple chart to explain.

I think the guides just allow you to see where you are and where you could be, but I agree it can be misleading for some if not "taken with a grain of salt".