PSA: AT&T Doing away with $35 iPad Unlimited.

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
thejohnfist
Has thanked: 0

PSA: AT&T Doing away with $35 iPad Unlimited.

Post by thejohnfist » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:10 pm

Lots of people seem to no longer have the option to renew the plan. CSRs are saying it's gone. People on auto-renew seem to be okay for now, but we'll see how it goes (I'm on it.).

Anyone have a decent unlimited alternative to suggest that's on any network other than Tmo?

BillA

Re: PSA: AT&T Doing away with $35 iPad Unlimited.

Post by BillA » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:10 pm

Here's a list of currently available unlimited prepaid plans for mobile routers

1. ATT

ATT iPad/tablet plan $35/mo, 30Mbps speeds, 40ms latency, deprioritized after 30GB, has been discontinued.
ATT unlimited prepaid $65/$75/mo, 30Mbps speeds, 40ms latency, deprioritized after 30GB
ATT based Cricket $65/mo, 8Mbps speeds, 40ms latency, deprioritized after 30GB
ATT based H2O $60/mo, 8Mbps speeds, 40ms latency, deprioritized after 30GB

Note: Must be used in a router with the TTL set to 65 such as the WE826, WG3526, or any OpenWRT flashable router like an Asus or Netgear, it will not work in others like the Netgear M1 Nighthawk, LB112x modem, etc.
According to reports, the ATT iPad/tablet, and $65/$75 prepaid plans are not working in mobile routers due to ATT blocking modems by their IMEI. As a workaround, you could put the sim card into an Android or iPhone (maybe an iPad), and tether it to the router via USB cable. You see, when carriers give you lemons, you gotta make lemonade!;) Here's a step by step guide on how to do it > https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?p=10303#p10303

2. Tmobile

Tmobile unlimited prepaid $60/mo, 100Mbps speeds, 30ms latency, deprioritized after 50GB
Tmobile based MetroPCS $50/mo, 100Mbps speeds, 30ms latency, deprioritized during congestion
Tmobile based SimpleMobile $50/mo, 100Mbps speeds, 30ms latency, deprioritized during congestion

Note: Must be used in a router with the TTL set to 64 or 65 such as the WE826, WG3526, or any OpenWRT flashable router like an Asus or Netgear, it will not work in others like the Netgear M1 Nighthawk, LB112x modem, etc. MetroPCS requires registration of the modem's IMEI/SIM by calling their customer service which may or may not work. None of the other carriers require IMEI registration.

3. Verizon

Verizon unlimited prepaid $70/mo, 50Mbps speeds, 40ms latency, deprioritized during congestion
Verizon based Visible $40/mo, 10Mbps speeds, 150+ms latency, deprioritized during congestion
Verizon based PagePlus $55/mo, 50Mbps speeds, 40ms latency, deprioritized during congestion

Note: Must be used in a router with the TTL set to 100/117 such as the WE826, WG3526, or any OpenWRT flashable router like an Asus or Netgear, it will not work in others like the Netgear M1 Nighthawk, LB112x modem, etc. There seems to be a 200GB high speed data limit per month (slow speeds thereafter) on PagePlus and every other reseller, imposed on them by Verizon. To get the high speed data back immediately, the monthly billing cycle can be restarted early.

4. Sprint

Sprint doesn't offer any prepaid plans themselves, but you should be able to use one of their unlimited postpaid plans. Boost Mobile does have a Sprint based unlimited prepaid service with some coverage and speed restrictions. Tmobile has announced that the takeover of Sprint should be completed by April 2020. The actual integration of Sprint's towers and spectrum will likely be completed during the course of a year, which should provide both company's customers improved coverage and speeds.

5. Other
Walmart has their own StraightTalk service at $45/mo using various carriers, but they add on a bunch of taxes and fees, and throttle pretty aggressively to the point of being almost unusable. As they say "You get what you pay for."
Then there are a bunch of other smaller prepaid providers, but they are all just reselling the major carrier's services at higher prices.

*** Please note, all mobile carriers may change their terms of service at any time, disallowing modem/router use on their network without a prior notice or refund. ***

Note#1
The above speeds/latencies are real world experiences using a Quectel EP06-A CAT-6 modem, with good signal, and no congestion or deprioritization. Your results may vary depending on the equipment used, location, and time of day.

Note#2
Most prepaid services offer an auto-pay discount, but they also add on a bunch of taxes and 911/FCC fees, so your final cost will end up to be around the regular listed prices. Nowadays using credit cards online is risky, with companies getting hacked every day. You can usually find a local dealer on the carrier's website, therefore it's recommended to pay locally if possible, they usually offer a cash discount along with complete anonymity.

Note#3
You can purchase a PagePlus (red packet) or SimpleMobile (green packet) activation sim kit at your local BestBuy, Target, Walmart, DollarGeneral, Sam's Club, Kroger/KingSoopers, or online from Amazon or Ebay. If you don't have a compatible phone with a clean imei for activation/testing, I can help you activate it remotely, disable video throttling, make the necessary test calls and data testing.
As of Aug. 1st 2020, PagePlus/Verizon and SimpleMobile/Tmobile seem to be blocking non-Sierra modems pretty aggressively. Currently there's a solution for Quectel and Simcom modems only, uniquely customized to each router using multiple parameters at the time of a new activation (not for existing lines). If anyone needs some help, click on the contact icon/bubble below my profile pic.

Here's all the hardware you need to get started with a mobile router.
If LTEFix is out of stock, try https://www.facebook.com/netsolution.shop/

Mobile router/modem
https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?p=6272#p6272

Antennas
At first you can try your service with the "stubby" antennas which comes with the router, and if you'd like to improve your signal/speed, you may want to get a pair of high gain external antennas.
https://ltefix.com/product-category/antennas/

And finally, to make it all work together, you need to flash the router with OpenWRT firmware.
https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?p=6007#p6007

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:39 pm

oh man i hope this doesn't happen for real. I have a bunch of customers on this, and they are gonna be pissssed, if it gets canceled on them.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:05 pm

ughh it is gone for new accounts, great.

BillA

Post by BillA » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:59 pm

swwifty wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:39 pm
oh man i hope this doesn't happen for real. I have a bunch of customers on this, and they are gonna be pissssed, if it gets canceled on them.

Being a short-term/prepaid service even if it's auto-paid, the carrier is under no contractual obligation to honor the initial signup price, and the TOS states that they may cancel at any time without a prior notice. Unfortunately that's just the way it is, and as the saying goes "All good things must come to an end." :(

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:16 pm

BillA wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:59 pm
Being a short-term/prepaid service even if it's auto-paid, the carrier is under no contractual obligation to honor the initial signup price of the service, and the TOS states that they may cancel at any time without a prior notice.
Unfortunately that's just the way it is, and as the saying goes "All good things must come to an end." :(
yeah, must be good being a bully as a carrier.

BillA

Post by BillA » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:19 pm

swwifty wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:16 pm
yeah, must be good being a bully as a carrier.

I have updated the initial post with some alternatives.
viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:45 pm

Hello
My parents be & my sister are on on this and have been very happy with it. It is a AT&T unlimited hotspot data reseller. It cost a $30 activation fee then $55 per month after that. There is no streaming data caps with it either. What you are able to connect to you get.
Believe you can't game with it because they now offer something else that is higher for gaming.

If you use this link I get small commission from it. Don't cost you anymore. All customers can share the service for commission. So you could do it as well once you have service.
Hope it works for you.

https://traveldata.page?affiliate=43

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:00 am

According to this video existing $35 ipad customers will be grandfathered in but only if you are not using it in a hotspot device. Using as it was intended to be used as terms and conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqiRXx10YQo

thejohnfist
Has thanked: 0

Post by thejohnfist » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:49 am

I'm using the auto-pay plan currently, we'll see if AT&T kicks me or not. Avg about 150-200GB a month. I don't think that's absurd but it is probably pretty high for a mobile use.

Thanks for the link gscheb, if I get dumped I'll likely be contacting your linked company.