Rural Virginia , Good Phone Service Options

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Inspire

Rural Virginia , Good Phone Service Options

Post by Inspire » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:16 pm

Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I’ve been trying to wrap my head around the possibilities I have here. I just moved to VA and I have pretty good LTE phone service with At@t off my iPhone and was looking to see if there was anyway I could take that data into a router as the internet situation is abysmal here.

My other family runs their internet off a Verizon jet pack, but even though it’s unlimited the WiFi is unusable after 20gb+ of data used.

I have tried to check the availability of all of the fixed home internet services these carries have to offer but I’m honestly stuck in a rut. If this is the wrong place to post this kinda question I apologize, I just don’t know where to start off and I’m riding the optimism of at@t being good on my phone here

Didneywhorl

Re: Rural Virginia , Good Phone Service Options

Post by Didneywhorl » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:42 pm

So you tried T-Mobile Home internet and Verizon.

You can go with a post Paid ATT unlimited tablet plan and use the SIM in a router/modem combo.

I can list off a parts list if you like.

You can also tether a phone to a router that can use it and feed unlimited data to yourself that way. Or an ipad with an unlimited data plan.

So far Visible (Verizon) has also been a good option to use with a router/modem setup.

LTEFix.com has all the parts you need.

Inspire

Post by Inspire » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:36 am

Oh man for sure thank you so much I would love a parts list. This move to Rural VA was super last minute and was kind of emergency. Verizon fios spoiled me in New York.

I’m not entirely sure how bad the Verizon service actually is out here because Verizon absolutely mutilates the data on the jetpack mifi setup even though my girlfriends grandparents have the unlimited plan. I know for a fact sprint is a dead zone here so it seems like at@t is my only option.

Any help is appreciated beyond belief as I’m continuing my online classes here and can’t reliably find participate and hand things in

Inspire

Post by Inspire » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:06 am

I would love a part list! I think att is my only option here service wise as Verizon deprioritization is so bad. Thank you so much for your time and help as I moved here from NY in a last minute rush will do what it takes to get my online schoolwork done and I have no idea where to even start. I just figured if my att lte service is good out here I can make something out of it

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:32 am

Well the first step you can take before you have the parts list to get a working sim card. Here is a post of tablets I have used to get service. Can get them on ebay for cheap especially if it has cracked screen or other cosmetic issues.
https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2367

Once you get your sim can move it to a lte device at that point.

Inspire

Post by Inspire » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:51 pm

Oh okay so what I’d have to do is buy one of those tablets, get the IMEI from the device , then call up at&t and ask them about their tablet services and purchase a plan?

If so then I’ll get on that right away, do they have unlimited plans for their tablets? I used like 45gb of data on my phone this period and I haven’t had any deprioritization

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:00 pm

Inspire wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:51 pm
Oh okay so what I’d have to do is buy one of those tablets, get the IMEI from the device , then call up at&t and ask them about their tablet services and purchase a plan?
Yes

Inspire wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:51 pm
If so then I’ll get on that right away, do they have unlimited plans for their tablets? I used like 45gb of data on my phone this period and I haven’t had any deprioritization
Yes they have unlimited post pay plan.
They will mail you a sim card. Can order it right over the phone. The card works in a device right away. With out ever being put into a tablet. Have done this 3 times.

Don't get the prepay version those have been shut down in the past. So far haven't heard of anyone being shut down on post pay.
With these type of solutions it is all fine till it isn't.

Inspire

Post by Inspire » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 pm

Ok excellent that all makes sense, sorry for al of the additional questions but does it matter what model of the tablet I purchase? Just want to make sure because I don’t necessarily have a car here yet so I feel bad having to return stuff if I make a mistake lol

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:25 pm

The tablet you buy needs to be a LTE tablet. That link I sent you was ones that I know personally that work. Buying from Ebay or Amazon etc would be fine. Allot of times you can get ebay seller to email you the IMEI after you pay for it. Literally have had the sim card to the house and in a router before the Tablet ever even got here.

Inspire

Post by Inspire » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:38 pm

Ah okay ironically my girlfriends grandparents actually have a Samsung tab A but I just checked the About Device section and it has no imei information at all anywhere so I assume it’s not LTE compatible. Thanks for all the information because it would have sucked to buy one of them randomly