Rural Virginia , Good Phone Service Options

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Dr-BroadBand

Re: Rural Virginia , Good Phone Service Options

Post by Dr-BroadBand » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:15 pm

The M1 is ok for ATT but lack the controls to easily set TTL spoof modem to look like an iPad or phone :geek:

So getting a Data plan to work will be a trick.

Inspire

Post by Inspire » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:20 pm

Oh I was under the impression that you could put the tablet sim into the m1 and just changed the APN

Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:33 pm

Carriers Business plan is sell phones & Tablets.

They are less generous with their data for modems. There are loopholes that work but you need to bend/break The rules “term of agreement”with the Carrier

ATT has a 100Gig for $50. If you need more can try to get a iPad SIM and spoof your way onto the network

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:49 pm

Inspire wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:20 pm
Oh I was under the impression that you could put the tablet sim into the m1 and just changed the APN
Have done that with post pay at&t tablet plan. If you are happy with speeds on your iPhone should be comparable. If not happy maybe antennas would help if signal not the best.

Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:04 pm

Inspire wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:04 pm
I think I’m going to end up trying out the standalone tablet plan from Att as I tried tmobile test drive and there’s absolutely no signal here. Verizon is throttled like crazy here because it’s pretty much what everyone uses so visible is out of the question.

For the att tablet plan can you use like any lte tablet to get on the plan or pretty much only the ones Gscheb posted?

For router/modem people recommend M1 the most, so I assume that’s the go-to for it so that’s been on my radar, just can’t believe it’s 250 on Amazon lol.

Hopefully the speeds are better off the m1 then my iPhone, I noticed a lot of the times my speeds increase tremendously when I do a quick airplane mode on/off to reset the LTE connection with att on the XR
The M1 is the better bang for the buck and quick setup. It has limits, but it works very well on ATT.

As far as the speeds increasing and decreasing, that is 100% network management that we have zero control over. Sucks. Best bet is to get a FirstNet account, or a govt acct. Next would be a business Elite plan. Otherwise we get put on the bottom of the stack.
Another thing ATT does is they turn off Carrier Aggregation on a single tower per connection that sits there beyond an arbitrary time. Disconnecting and reconnecting allows CA again for a short time. Its a BS thing they do, but it allows them to technically still advertise "X Speeds" on their networks, etc.

mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:22 am

Didneywhorl wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:04 pm
Another thing ATT does is they turn off Carrier Aggregation on a single tower per connection that sits there beyond an arbitrary time. Disconnecting and reconnecting allows CA again for a short time. Its a BS thing they do, but it allows them to technically still advertise "X Speeds" on their networks, etc.
I'm sure the 'technical' reasoning (excuse) for doing this is a power saving feature on mobile devices that run on battery. This is also done with 5G ENDC mode but actually turn it back on/reconnect when needed. Ran across this in a patent not to long ago.

Inspire

Post by Inspire » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:18 pm

What’s the process of resetting on the m1, does the magic hold through upon resets?