Starlink now available to order

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
docderwood

Starlink now available to order

Post by docderwood » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:49 pm

FYI,

You can now pre-order on their website. For my location (SE US) it says mid to late 2021. $99 deposit (refundable) and $500 for equipment/99$ month.

I signed up for the beta a long time ago but heard nothing.

MattB29

Re: Starlink now available to order

Post by MattB29 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:55 am

Price is too high for what they offer. I can not imagine they will find many takers. The only way I might be interested is if they got their price down under $50/mo, with equipment costs under $200 or free as part of the service.

docderwood

Post by docderwood » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:27 am

Unfortunately for me, it is likely to be a better option. I've got 3 LTE connections bonded together with MPTCP and my local towers are saturated in the evenings. The beta testers are getting good to great latency and often 100 down (which is what I can get at 3AM).

MattB29 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:55 am
Price is too high for what they offer. I can not imagine they will find many takers. The only way I might be interested is if they got their price down under $50/mo, with equipment costs under $200 or free as part of the service.

radec

Post by radec » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:04 pm

docderwood wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:27 am
Unfortunately for me, it is likely to be a better option.
Yeah that's the thing. For a lot of people it is actually a really good option. I know plenty of people have been getting essentially scammed by dsl and satellite internet that provides maybe 1Mbps-3Mbps down and still end up paying $60-$90 dollars a month. With satellite you also usually have data caps.

While I agree it internet shouldn't cost that much, if you've got very few other options it starts looking like a pretty good deal. My bet is that they will get a lot of takers.

shwaba

Post by shwaba » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:20 pm

Yep, ours is on the way a few weeks out. Our last Ipad plan just got axed on Monday right after AT$T renewed it.
All we have left now is our Tmo home internet. Which is great at 3am but usually not so great at 7pm(only 10Mhz Bandwidth in my area). So I have a sim coming for the AT$T $20 tablet plan, to supplement until Starlink arrives, they are saying 2-4 weeks due to high demand. Then we'll dump Tmo and keep the tablet plan as backup for any outages. Yes sir $120 per month for both is going to suck, but what are you gonna do? Spectrum wanted $17,000 to run through a flat farm field for 500ft. After all the equipment I've bought over the last 2 years I probably put a big dent into that amount to, but oh well.

My full time hobby of keeping internet to my Home is so rewarding.(said no one ever)

docderwood

Post by docderwood » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:20 pm

My full time hobby of keeping internet to my Home is so rewarding.(said no one ever)
[/quote]

^^^ Ha! No doubt.

ATT wanted 120K to run fiber to me. LTE has been fun and all to figure out, but it would be nice to have an option that doesn't need so much TLC.

plympton
Has thanked: 0

Post by plympton » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:25 pm

2nd that hobby sentiment!! I signed up for a pre-order, even if it's just to get in the queue.

My load-balanced dual-LTE Visible ($25*2/month) has been pretty stable the last 2-3 months since I started it, but on the weekend it's abysmal (as expected - tourists come in to town and flood the towers). At least it's Zoomable during the week if we decide to stay over past the weekend, and I'm rsync-ing content during the week so there's no need to stream while we're there.

But it's a pain. I pretty much have to fiddle with the Internet every time I'm there to some degree or another, and I'd prefer not to have to.

$99/month a lot? HELL YEAH! But I'm already paying $60/month just to poop so if I had to choose, well, a bear can go in the woods...

BillA

Post by BillA » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:36 pm

plympton wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:25 pm
2nd that hobby sentiment!! I signed up for a pre-order, even if it's just to get in the queue.

My load-balanced dual-LTE Visible ($25*2/month) has been pretty stable the last 2-3 months since I started it, but on the weekend it's abysmal (as expected - tourists come in to town and flood the towers). At least it's Zoomable during the week if we decide to stay over past the weekend, and I'm rsync-ing content during the week so there's no need to stream while we're there.

But it's a pain. I pretty much have to fiddle with the Internet every time I'm there to some degree or another, and I'd prefer not to have to.

$99/month a lot? HELL YEAH! But I'm already paying $60/month just to poop so if I had to choose, well, a bear can go in the woods...

With Tmobile/SimpleMobile I'm consistently getting 100Mbps in the daytime and over 200Mbps at night (from 9pm till 9am) using a Quectel EM16 CAT-16 modem. On my second router with a 5G Simcom SIM8200EA-M2 modem it's close to 1,000Mbps (https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?p=15158#p15158). Best of all it's only $50 bucks per month.

As with any satellite based data service, when it works, it works great.  However, there are several issues to consider, such as congestion, once they sign up a bunch of customers it could slow speeds down. Weather related issues like heavy rain or snow, both can wreak havoc with high frequency low power satellite signals. Having higher latency than traditional internet may not work for gaming, VOIP, and other timing sensitive applications .  Also, currently the monthly cost is double that of cellular data including the equipment cost, which hopefully will come down in time.
Understandably some folks have no other choice but satellite, so it's definitely a viable option.

shwaba

Post by shwaba » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:51 pm

BillA wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:36 pm
With Tmobile/SimpleMobile I'm consistently getting 100Mbps in the daytime and over 200Mbps at night (from 9pm till 9am) using a Quectel EM16 CAT-16 modem. On my second router with a 5G Simcom SIM8200EA-M2 modem it's close to 1,000Mbps (https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?p=15158#p15158). Best of all it's only $50 bucks per month.

As with any satellite based data service, when it works, it works great.  However, there are several issues to consider, such as congestion, once they sign up a bunch of customers it could slow speeds down. Weather related issues like heavy rain or snow, both can wreak havoc with high frequency low power satellite signals. Having higher latency than traditional internet may not work for gaming, VOIP, and other timing sensitive applications .  Also, currently the monthly cost is double that of cellular data including the equipment cost, which hopefully will come down in time.
Understandably some folks have no other choice but satellite, so it's definitely a viable option.
First off thank you BillA for all the knowledge you provide to this Forum,
Secondly, The same thing can be said about any of the cellular carriers, Everything is not equal, the $50 dollars you spend for service gets you anywhere from 100Mbps to 1,000Mbps, but the $50 I spend gets me 50Mbps to 0.2Mbps on Tmobile. It's all about location, location, location. My neighbor who uses the beta Starlink, in thunderstorms or a 16 inch snow storm averages 100Mbps down. Has He had down time? Absolutely! But It's no different then the down time that everyone trying to use cellular data to provide internet to their home has encountered. It works perfectly until the Monopoly carriers decide it shouldn't. It's my opinion that It's a great thing for everyone if there is competition against the cable and cellular companies. It will force the price down and make service better for everyone. I have no problem paying for the equipment or the $120 per month for starlink and At$t, because at the end of the day when I'm watching something I don't care about that extra $50-$70 dollars when I don't see a buffering sign on my TV. I digress..

BillA

Post by BillA » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:41 pm

shwaba wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:51 pm
First off thank you BillA for all the knowledge you provide to this Forum,
Secondly, The same thing can be said about any of the cellular carriers, Everything is not equal, the $50 dollars you spend for service gets you anywhere from 100Mbps to 1,000Mbps, but the $50 I spend gets me 50Mbps to 0.2Mbps on Tmobile. It's all about location, location, location. My neighbor who uses the beta Starlink, in thunderstorms or a 16 inch snow storm averages 100Mbps down. Has He had down time? Absolutely! But It's no different then the down time that everyone trying to use cellular data to provide internet to their home has encountered. It works perfectly until the Monopoly carriers decide it shouldn't. It's my opinion that It's a great thing for everyone if there is competition against the cable and cellular companies. It will force the price down and make service better for everyone. I have no problem paying for the equipment or the $120 per month for starlink and At$t, because at the end of the day when I'm watching something I don't care about that extra $50-$70 dollars when I don't see a buffering sign on my TV. I digress..

Absolutely, as I said previously "it's definitely a viable option", no such thing as one size (service) fits all.
But hey, if Starlink fails, their low orbit satellites make for great a target practice in the night sky... get that shotgun out! lol jk