Single or 2 15dbi mimo antennas is there a difference?

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Macusers
Has thanked: 0

Re: Single or 2 15dbi mimo antennas is there a difference?

Post by Macusers » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:15 pm

I should of mentioned that I’m using an m5 mr5100 which doesn’t support b13.

Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:16 pm

Well I can only speak on verizon 4g but in my case the strongest signal is 13, the signal my router would pick by default is 5 and the best band for actual use is 66.

My situtation is heavy trees, mountains and a the closest line of site tower is over 6 iles away.
66 is still best but the only way to get it is to bandlock to 66. Luckily with my modem EP06-A band 66 can CA to itself so I connect to band 66 (20 mhz) and when needed it will CA to band 66 (10mhz)

@mtl26637 did you see my question about the wilson antenna?

Macusers

Post by Macusers » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:29 pm

You mean like one of these:

https://www.weboost.com/products/314411

I started with one of these and then purchased a second one to run in mimo config. They are SLIGHTLY worse then the ltefix ones, at least on paper, but also can be found for about $50 each.

Yes it’s very similar but I think my we boost is a 75ohms yargi. I connected RG6 cable from the antenna to the weboost to an internal antenna. Covers 5000 sq ft. I might of used the wrong cabling and not realized it. But I have 4 green lights on the unit and it is boosting the bars to full bars.

Macusers

Post by Macusers » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:33 pm

Is there a company in the United States that can modify the m5??? Don’t want to ship out to another country.

Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:38 pm

ok yeah i think i remember this now from earlier in this thread. Since you already have a 75 ohm booster and its working I would do like I have in my home and have 2 seperate systems.

A booster for phone use (use your 75 ohm booster system)
A router for internet, in my case a wg3526 with an EP06-A
I have a total of 3 antennas on the roof, one for the booster and 2 in a mimo config for the internet router

This allows me to make clear phone calls via the booster with a backup method of calling via wifi calling and also gives me some minor redundency by allowing my phone full internet access though the booster in case the internet router goes down or has issues. Each system can partially backup the other.

Macusers

Post by Macusers » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:43 pm

So I decided to go with the single antenna with 2 Mimo connections built on it. But i did have an installation question. The cell tower is less than a 1/2 mile away in heavy woods. Would i see much of a difference in speed if I mounted the unit in an attic or outside? The height will be about equal in the attic or outside. This cottage was built in the 50s with aluminum siding.

Thanks
Macusers

Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:55 am

Macusers wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:43 pm
So I decided to go with the single antenna with 2 Mimo connections built on it. But i did have an installation question. The cell tower is less than a 1/2 mile away in heavy woods. Would i see much of a difference in speed if I mounted the unit in an attic or outside? The height will be about equal in the attic or outside. This cottage was built in the 50s with aluminum siding.

Thanks
Macusers
I would say that you would "technically" see a difference, but in practice a that distance its worth testing. It should work great inside the attic as long as you don't have a radiant barrier foil coating on the underside of the roof decking, and assuming you don't also have metal roofing.

Macusers

Post by Macusers » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:34 pm

So I was able to finally install the antenna today. I placed the unit in the attic with 30ft of LMR 400 with a 6 inch ts9 adapter. Im not seeing any difference in speed with the unit connected or not. Not sure if im doing something wrong. Im using an m5 5100 pro. The cell tower is less than a 1/2 mile away. I expected to see some increase. Not sure what is wrong. Is there power that i have to connect to this antenna? Not sure how to tell if its on. Im using verizon with bands 5 and 66. Any help would be appreciated. I purchased the signal antenna with 2 mimo outputs.

Thanks
Macuser

Macusers

Post by Macusers » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:42 pm

I di have ine question. Does this unit have to be mounted a special way? I have it mounted squarly and not at a 45 degree.

Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:23 pm

Typically 45 degrees like a diamond.

Look at speeds last. You should be looking at signal strength and quality. Antennas should get you better signal strength, which can get you better speeds, but the key metric is signal strength and signal quality (low or high RF noise on the signal).

Do you have a strong signal, and noise free? That is the place to look first. Is there foil "radiant barrier" on the bottom of your attic roof decking? Are you mounting the antennas near high voltage lines or equipment? These things can block signal and lower your quality of signal causing terrible network performance. The only way to know is to find these metrics in your devices UI.

I'm not familiar with the M5 to know where to look for this.