DP727L15 - 15dBi 4G LTE Directional Antenna Review (Updated with comparisons)

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
dajmanjt

Re: DP727L15 - 15dBi 4G LTE Directional Antenna Review

Post by dajmanjt » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 am

Very interesting results indeed. Very surprised that the yagi was less effective than the panel antenna. I've sent an email to Jim to ask for the azimuth for those panel antennas, since there isn't much information available for them out there. Typical panel antennas that size can't get better than 9dbi, not sure how they managed to squeeze 15dbi out of them. In this test it would even suggest that the panel antennas are hitting 17dbi. I have two of them at my house but have not put them through the paces yet. I agree with your analysis though, it seems like the panel antennas are the better choice for your situation.

Thanks for all the info and updates!
LTE solutions & research is my favorite past-time and hobby

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am

dajmanjt wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 am
Very interesting results indeed. Very surprised that the yagi was less effective than the panel antenna. I've sent an email to Jim to ask for the azimuth for those panel antennas, since there isn't much information available for them out there. Typical panel antennas that size can't get better than 9dbi, not sure how they managed to squeeze 15dbi out of them. In this test it would even suggest that the panel antennas are hitting 17dbi. I have two of them at my house but have not put them through the paces yet. I agree with your analysis though, it seems like the panel antennas are the better choice for your situation.

Thanks for all the info and updates!
I was wondering that myself, as I have yet to see any panel antennas rated that high on DBI gain as well. I suspect that something else is possibly going on. If the panel antennas are lower gain than advertised, then they have a wider beam width, and that is helping over come the scattering of the signals. The yagis are so focused, that they are losing some gain over the panels, because of their narrow beam width. If that makes sense?

I'm really tempted to try some high gain omnis now, lol.
These users thanked the author swwifty for the post:
shwaba (Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:15 pm)

dajmanjt

Post by dajmanjt » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:00 am

Hmm interesting thought process. Seems plausible from a surface level observation. I have no idea how one would be able to show that in a test but that would explain the signal strength similarities between the two. Just wait till you see a pic of the sector antenna I installed on Sunday, it's 15 DBI but literally 20x larger than that 15dbi panel antenna. And I'm getting results that show the increase in signal strength. But there is a part of me that wonders if those small 15bdi panel antennas would have worked just as well lol. All I know is I ain't taking that heavy panel antenna down anytime soon so we might never know ha.
LTE solutions & research is my favorite past-time and hobby

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:07 am

dajmanjt wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:00 am
Hmm interesting thought process. Seems plausible from a surface level observation. I have no idea how one would be able to show that in a test but that would explain the signal strength similarities between the two. Just wait till you see a pic of the sector antenna I installed on Sunday, it's 15 DBI but literally 20x larger than that 15dbi panel antenna. And I'm getting results that show the increase in signal strength. But there is a part of me that wonders if those small 15bdi panel antennas would have worked just as well lol. All I know is I ain't taking that heavy panel antenna down anytime soon so we might never know ha.
haha, thats funny, can't wait to see your write up on it!

I'm going to do some more tests, before i return the yagis, just to rule out any day to day variables. I'm sure there's a ton of variables going on, and ones that I'm not even aware of.

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:55 pm

dajmanjt wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 am
I've sent an email to Jim to ask for the azimuth for those panel antennas, since there isn't much information available for them out there.
I made a note to request them from the manufacturer but forgot to send an email. I did send it a few minutes ago and should hopefully have a response tomorrow.

I regularly mention how the optimal antenna setup is often derived from trial and error. And, this topic is a very good example of that type of strategy and contains a lot of useful information. Good stuff!

swwifty

Re: DP727L15 - 15dBi 4G LTE Directional Antenna Review (Updated with comparisons)

Post by swwifty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Looking forward to that information Jim! Yes, I agree, lots of trial and error helps, and teaches a lot.

This morning I was doing some thinking as related to my posted I just shared about reference signals (see that in the off-topic section).

I recently purchased some of these (https://www.rfarmor.com/nanostation-kit ... 35-2p.html) rf armor kits for my nanostations (that I currently use to connect my mother's home to my network, which is about 500 feet away through trees). I bought some of these because, surprisingly, I have a lot of RF interference on 2.4ghz even living in a very rural area.

This got me thinking. What if I made something like this for my 4G flat panel antennas? I recently got a software defined radio (this one to be exact: https://www.sdrplay.com/rsp2/) and have been learning a ton recently about radio communications. One thing I've learned is that antennas will pick up nearly all frequencies even if they are tuned to a specific one (I saw this in my testing of the 17dbi band 2 yagis). I had heard with SDRs you can get "band filters" and some of them are even built in, so if your radio is getting overloaded with strong radio signals from various services, like FM radio, LTE, etc, you can filter them out to pick up weaker signals in other frequency ranges. That all said, I started looking, and found that there is companies that actually make filters for LTE antennas (http://www.microwavefilter.com/wireless-lp.html). I'm looking around to see if I can find some to buy and try out. I have a feeling using one, could make a big difference in terms of signal to noise on my current antennas.

Anyways, just wanted to share as I found it quite interesting. I'll be doing some more testing with my flat panel and yagis this afternoon to see if my results from a few days ago still hold.

swwifty

Re: DP727L15 - 15dBi 4G LTE Directional Antenna Review (Updated with comparisons)

Post by swwifty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:30 pm

Doing some more research, and found this: https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/d ... -1940-S%2B which is a band pass filter, for band 2 range, but might try and find a high pass filter, so I can still use CA.

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 pm

swwifty wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 pm
Looking forward to that information Jim! Yes, I agree, lots of trial and error helps, and teaches a lot.
Here are a few specs on the 15dBi antenna.
15dBi 3.pdf
(321.87 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
These users thanked the author JimHelms for the post (total 2):
ph34rful (Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 pm) • Dart67 (Wed May 01, 2019 12:12 pm)

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:39 pm

JimHelms wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 pm

15dBi 3.pdf
Thanks for sharing! That's what I suspected actually, that the advertised gain was on the highest frequency that the antenna was rated for. Regardless, this is still a very good antenna, even in a non-light of sight environment.

On band 2, its nearly on par with the 17dbi yagis that are designed for only band 2.

ph34rful

Post by ph34rful » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:17 pm

JimHelms wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 pm

15dBi 3.pdf
Thanks for the info! Any chance of the same for the DP1727X15? https://ltefix.com/shop/antennas/1700-2 ... l-antenna/

I'm curious how their performance compares at the higher frequencies.