Standalone amplifiers, do they exist? Going for tmobile - 7.2 miles from tower, elevation loss of 50ft.

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
mtl26637
Has thanked: 0

Re: Standalone amplifiers, do they exist? Going for tmobile - 7.2 miles from tower, elevation loss of 50ft.

Post by mtl26637 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:39 am

cagordon1985 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:45 pm
Next week hopefully I get to test on the TMobile Gateway and the RM502Q-AE.
Very interested on how this turns out for you. Still no luck here with exact setup and tower at 3miles. Just can't seem to get a good enough signal on bands 66/n71 to get the 5G speeds that are there. Let us know how it turns out..

Dr-BroadBand

Re: Standalone amplifiers, do they exist? Going for tmobile - 7.2 miles from tower, elevation loss of 50ft.

Post by Dr-BroadBand » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:45 am

Would try to move your setup 0.0 miles from the tower to test to make sure
the problem is the signal and not the modem or SIM

Ltebnb4
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ltebnb4 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:26 pm

From what I understand N71 5G is slower than some higher frequency LTE bands however it’s faster than low band LTE like band 12/17 & 13. ^so that would explain your speeds. from what I could find out N71 has a theoretical max of 226mbps hf LTE is similar around 200mbps for single bands and band 12 has a theoretical max of 38 on T-Mobile and slightly higher on att. I’ve achieved 34 mbps with band 12 around 5 miles away from tower no line of sight using dual amplifiers (not inline used dual indoor/outdoor antennas).

-To answer your question yes there are stand alone amplifiers for sale, but I have only found them on eBay.
-People on this forum have told me to stay away from amplifiers and just use antennas which is good money saving advice, esp because you would have to buy multiple to achieve mimo and make it worth your while... also most boosters do not amplify the frequencies you would want(band 12 is slow AF besides n71 you want to use higher frequency bands) However from my testing achieving basically theoretical max from miles away I know amplifiers can do the job and have their place in set ups. This was also using cheap amplifiers not fancy thousand dollar ones so I don’t think you need to break the bank to do the job
-if you do get an amplifier try out the cheap ones on eBay first, I’ve seen ones that have 20dB gain covering 600-6000mhz going for ~50$, would also future proof you if T-Mobile adds n41 mid band which is really fast ppl on T-Mobile isp Reddit regularly get 200-400mbps down
-another option would be phonetone 5G ready amplifier with 65db of gain (afaik it doesn’t seem to cover 5G frequencies besides n71 600mhz but it does amplify high frequency LTE and includes the 2300mhz band which most don’t)
- like others have said if you are getting good signal at the top of your mast I would avoid amplifiers and just place modem up there if possible. Then put it in bride mode and run an Ethernet cable down bc they can run 300ft with a lossless connection, if you need more than 300ft of run to your house there is also ptp air fiber or really expensive Ethernet cable that is able to support longer runs.

Ltebnb4
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ltebnb4 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:38 pm

As far as antennas from everything I have read the maximum gain you can achieve is with a parabolic dish. I haven’t seen any of these for sale, besides a huawei antenna that is designed to fit on an old satellite dish with claims of 30dB gain. Thing about grid parabolic is they do not provide an even gain across frequencies... 24db longer ranger is actually 14-24db gain...

Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:04 pm

The thing about antennas is the more gain they have the harder they are to correctly aim. With the cheap plastic yagis that kinda look like a white flag you can aim within like 70 degrees of the tower with a parabolic its usually more like 12 degrees. Check the specs on the individual antennas.

Also if you are in an area that has "interference" like trees or mountains sometimes the cheap yagis work better as that added flexibility in aiming can actually capture bounced and reflected signals as well.

In my own personal situtation I got better results from 2 cheap yagi's in a mimo config (angeled 45 degress and all) then I did with a huge grid antenna or even a high end LPDA one.