Best cables and setup!!!

How To Tutorials related to Antennas
Slowhand
Been thanked: 0

Best cables and setup!!!

Post by Slowhand » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:02 am

Hi,
Thanks in advance for any advice given to my question...

I am currently using a MOFI Sim 7 and getting ok (not great), service using a T-Mobile SIM chip for a setup at my house in a remote area of Arizona...
I am considering purchasing the following setup to take better advantage of the band 71, from the tower about 2.5 miles from my home that is in full view with no obstructions...

WG1608D-M
Sierra Wireless EM7411 CAT-7 LTE-Advanced Modem
The WiFiX 600-3800MHz LPDA Yagi Radome is a 9dBi-11dBi Cellular (17.313in/440mm) Directional Antenna.

I plan to install the antennas to an existing mount on the roof of my home that the previous owner used for satellite internet/television...

Here is where I need help deciding the best setup, and what cables would be recommended...

1. Would it be better if the router/modem was set up in the attic closer to the antennas to shorten the cable length between the two... Or
2. Run a longer cable from the antennas through the wall to the existing cable TV/phone outlet then run a cable from the outlet to the router/modem?

Again, thank you all for any feedback,
Slowhand

Didneywhorl

Re: Best cables and setup!!!

Post by Didneywhorl » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:15 pm

Hey there! Welcome to the forum!

1 - Yes, the shorter the better, but make sure you use heatsinks on the modem and maybe take the metal case off to help, or cut a hole in the case and run a fan on it. Gotta keep the modem from heating up too badly.

2 - In house cables are generally 75Ohm Coax. Cellular Modems use 50Ohm and don't do well when used together. If you were using a cellular booster system and understood the different parts, sometimes its fine to mix, but not direct from a modem to an antenna. Keep it all 50Ohm. LTE FIX cables are all 50 Ohm.

You've chosen a good setup. Maybe add a 4A or greater power supply, just in case.

Slowhand
Been thanked: 0

Post by Slowhand » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:23 pm

Didneywhorl,
Thank you for the information I appreciate it. I didn't think about the temperature affecting the router/modem but realize it will absolutely be a problem. It gets pretty hot in the summer well over 110 degrees, and I can only imagine the attic going well above that... So I will run the line through the cable outlet, but to clarify from above I will run the cellular cable down the inside of the wall where the TV cable would go with no intention of using the TV cable at all... If the need arises I will remove the TV cable completely if it interferes with the cellular cable... Anyway, I will keep things updated as I proceed...

Thank you,
Slowhand

toddw

Post by toddw » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:02 am

Didneywhorl wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:15 pm
Hey there! Welcome to the forum!

1 - Yes, the shorter the better, but make sure you use heatsinks on the modem and maybe take the metal case off to help, or cut a hole in the case and run a fan on it. Gotta keep the modem from heating up too badly.

2 - In house cables are generally 75Ohm Coax. Cellular Modems use 50Ohm and don't do well when used together. If you were using a cellular booster system and understood the different parts, sometimes its fine to mix, but not direct from a modem to an antenna. Keep it all 50Ohm. LTE FIX cables are all 50 Ohm.

You've chosen a good setup. Maybe add a 4A or greater power supply, just in case.
Agree on the setup. Question for you, I've been using 2.5A power supply to stabilize weak signal. I never considered anything beyond that, much less a 4A unit. Does it make a significant difference?

DogTho
Has thanked: 0

Post by DogTho » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:01 pm

What kind of speeds are you getting and looking for? I was on TM B71 for a while and it was only 10MHz wide, I was getting 5-10Mbps at best, tower is 7 miles away. One day I did a bandscan with the MoFi and all of a sudden the speed went up. Well it unlocked the band and was now on B4 which here is 20MHz wide. Speeds went to 20+. I could probably do better but at what expense? I was willing to live with 5-10 so 20 and usually 30+ is beyond my expectations. Do a band scan first and see if you have any 20MHz bands and try that one. I have a friend that's 3 miles LOS from a TMob site on B71 and they get 20-30Mb with the stock antennas in the house. Their tower I don't think has any 20MHz wide bands.

Best if you can keep your antenna runs short as possible and if you have LOS 3 mi from your house you shouldn't need much cable if only jumpers. I have a MiMo panel up with 2 - 50' of LMR400 for each antenna over the roof. I get better signal strength if I use 2 cheap $40 Amazon Log Periodic antennas with just jumpers right on the deck of my house but speeds are not any better.