At Wits End....

Questions and Support related to Antennas
chrissezhi

At Wits End....

Post by chrissezhi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Good evening -

I am at wits end. So I I am using an LB1120 and a pair of https://ltefix.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... l-antenna/ (see pic showing mount and X pattern for polarization .

Honestly - I am not getting any increase in signal strength. I have these placed in attic pointed to the cell tower. If I take the cell phone (T-Mobile) and compare to the LB1120 - bar strength is the same (2bars) and using opensignal - speed upload/download is around 5MB/2MB.

Any ideas of what I can do?

Thank you for taking time to respond!
2019-11-17 19_47_33-Photos.png
2019-11-17 18_58_24-T-Mobile USA (United States of America) - Cellular Coverage and Tower Map.png

JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: At Wits End....

Post by JimHelms » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:59 pm

What type of coax cables are you using, and how long are they?

It is not uncommon to lose more through cabling that what is otherwise being gained by the antennas.

I would use THIS calculator as a start.

chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Thank you for the quick reply - to answer - I am using the following - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077W ... UTF8&psc=1

The above cables plug into the LB1120 https://www.netgear.com/home/products/m ... B1120.aspx (running bridge mode) to an ASUS RT-AC68U via CAT6 Ethernet Cable.

terryjett

Post by terryjett » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:03 am

Do not want to step on Jim's toes here, but you are losing around 3db in just the cables. Then, if the ts-9 connectors fit loosely (cheaply manufactured), you could be losing all your gain from antennas.

I have noticed on hotspots using the ts-9 connector, that it is not usual for signal levels to fluctuate wildly. Do not know the LB1120 but I would look at the menu showing signal levels for hints of lose connectors.

If you phone and hotspot are getting same signal levels / performance, would venture to say hotspot not seeing the antennas.

chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Thank you - I am not against buying cables if so what would you recommend - links if possible.

terryjett

Post by terryjett » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:12 pm

chrissezhi wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:16 pm
Thank you - I am not against buying cables if so what would you recommend - links if possible.
Word of friendly advice (I learned the hard way): before changing this, buying this and that, do some troubleshooting to pinpoint your issue.

Have you found the signal level menu in your hotspot? If so, look at it and move your cable connections around. If you see changes in signal level, then would say it is the ts9's or cable itself.

Are you positive your antennas are pointed correctly? I assume that you used some type of signal level to dial in the antenna position?

As for recommending a certain cable, I will leave that to the master himself - Jim:)

Bottom line is do a little troubleshooting and if you already have, share the results here.

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:07 pm

I agree with everything terryjett has recommended--especially trying to hone in on the signal using your device signal level menu before purchasing anything else.

As for cables, it depends on the distance between the LB1120 and the antennas. If you can get by with 10 feet of cabling, I would look at THESE with TS-9 cable ends.

chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:07 pm

ok - came home and did some tests unplugging the ts-9 cable - honestly bars did not change. Even before unplugging the bars would jump between 2/3 bars. Unplugging / Plugging did not make a difference. I would say tower is roughly 4-6 miles away.

I am using Open Signal to determine where my tower points and then utilizing cellmapper to verify direction of tower (included a pic). Below is a pic of opensignal and showing direction.

Question - on the cables that Jim provided - if I needed 35 feet, what shall I do?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:14 pm

I would recommend using Times Microwave LMR400 at 35 feet.

As for aiming your antenna, you need to look at the real signals, not bars (which are deceptive).

Is there not a network status menu on the LB1120 that shows this information.

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Network Status Page.png

This chart shows what the stats represent:

Amtenna Stats Explained.png

Slowly rotate your antenna, in "all" directions, while watching your stats. You may find out that you are not hitting the correct (or best) tower.