Anyway to pull in this band?

Questions and Support related to Antennas
gscheb

Re: Anyway to pull in this band?

Post by gscheb » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:54 pm

Hello
Has anyone got tether with rooter to work for Verizon? Everytime I try it get throttled big time.

BillA

Post by BillA » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:52 pm

gscheb wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:54 pm
Hello
Has anyone got tether with rooter to work for Verizon? Everytime I try it get throttled big time.

First, make sure that you're not throttled while running a speed test in the phone's browser.
http://www.bing.com/widget/t/speedtest
On the router set the TTL to 65/117, and if you're still throttled then create a custom firewall rule and try TTL 64/116/118.
Unfortunately some phones modify the TTL regardless of the router's setting, which can be fixed using a TTL changer app like TTL Value Editor (requires root) from the PlayStore:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ttl.editor

Didneywhorl

Re: Tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi

Post by Didneywhorl » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:32 am

BillA wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:44 am
1. Purpose for tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi

The purpose for tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi, is to be able to use the phone's unlimited mobile data just like having an external cable/DSL/LTE modem connected to a router, with data speeds equal to the phone's mobile connection. Instead of a phone, an LTE modem in an external USB enclosure can also be tethered to the router, though it won't be able to bypass the carrier's imei restriction (a phone can).

If everything has been done correctly, you should be able to use your phone's unlimited mobile data through the router along with all of its advanced features.
Bill, you need to make this a tutorial post. :)

Grizz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Grizz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:43 pm

Slightly older post but figured I would ask. Anyone know if this will work with amplifi hd mesh network?

BillA

Post by BillA » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:27 pm

Grizz wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:43 pm
Slightly older post but figured I would ask. Anyone know if this will work with amplifi hd mesh network?

As long as the main mesh unit is OpenWRT/GoldenOrb flashable, and has a usb port, then yes (without a usb port you could tether the phone to the router via WiFi). If it's not flashable, then you could connect the mesh unit's WAN port to any compatible mobile router's LAN port which supplies the internet, and the mesh part will function just fine.

billyjacko

Re: Tethering a phone to a router via USB or WiFi

Post by billyjacko » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:02 am

BillA wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:44 am
Go to Network > Firewall > Custom Rules > copy and paste the two lines below to the bottom of the rules window, then click RESTART FIREWALL.
Adjust the tethered "usb<x>" device (usually "usb0") and TTL values (64/65/117) for your specific carrier.

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65

Finally, restart the router, enable USB Tethering again on the phone and test your internet connection.
You may have to reselect the tethered phone under Modem > Network Status > Prev/Next Modem (usually "usb0").
A couple of questions. What is the 'tethered "usb<x>" for specific carriers? I left it usb0, but when I go to Prev/Next modem, I'm only seeing the name of the phone not usb0. I saw in another thread to try;
gscheb wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:29 am

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 117
#end TTL rules

^I changed 117 to 65 for ATT
Also, I'm getting an internet connection via the rooter wifi. For whatever reason. For whatever reason I'm not getting a connection on my Linksys router. I've had to go to USB tether because the jig is up on just plugging a sim into the device with custom ttl. Tried both cricket and att and I'm getting the boot.

Rizzader

Post by Rizzader » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:46 am

@BillA

Sorry old post, but any cost effective Android phone/router combo you recommend?

Currently only have iPhones in my household, along with a nighthawk M1