Orbi LBR20 How-To / Megathread

How To Tutorials related to Routers and Firmware
Forum rules
This forum is for tutorials only--not for help or assistance.
hazarjast

Re: Orbi LBR20 How-To / Megathread

Post by hazarjast » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Updated my 'cell_lock_failsafe.sh' script adding logic to pause cell locking attempts until the next day if locking to the preferred cell twice in an hour results in no internet connectivity both times. This prevents continuous internet connectivity disruption at $INTERVAL when cell is down for an extended period (maintenance etc.):

https://github.com/hazarjast/circle_jer ... ailsafe.sh

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:27 am

gscheb wrote: ↑
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:45 am
Hello, Been using one of these for AT&T. With original orbi firmware. Being AT&T have no use for TTL settings. But would like to create a group of bands. Do I have to switch to this voxel to do that?
hazarjast wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:38 pm
No, you can band lock on any firmware but be aware it may not be reboot persistent unless you add it to a startup script. I prefer cell locking myself which is covered in the OP, other posts in this forum cover Quectel band index creation and locking. I believe I may have linked to them in one of my earlier replies to this thread and there should be an Excel/Google Sheets document floating around which helps with the index calculations (they are in hexadecimal).
Having issues using putty telnet on this. Seen a post where you got to enable telnet on the LBR20. But when I go to do that there is no enable telnet box to check.
LBR20
Router Firmware Version
V2.6.5.2

am888

Post by am888 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:21 pm

gscheb wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:27 am
gscheb wrote: ↑
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:45 am
Hello, Been using one of these for AT&T. With original orbi firmware. Being AT&T have no use for TTL settings. But would like to create a group of bands. Do I have to switch to this voxel to do that?

Having issues using putty telnet on this. Seen a post where you got to enable telnet on the LBR20. But when I go to do that there is no enable telnet box to check.
LBR20
Router Firmware Version
V2.6.5.2
From what I understand, they removed the telnet option from later firmware versions. You'll be doing yourself a big favor to use voxel or circle_jerk to 'unlock' your routers potential & communicate with the modem directly. Your second worst option (besides leaving it as is) is probably to flash back to original netgear firmare, but your modem will likely erase all your setting everytime it reboots (so you gotta start all over). Just switch to circlejerk or voxel and save yourself a lot of headaches.

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:27 pm

am888 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:21 pm
From what I understand, they removed the telnet option from later firmware versions. You'll be doing yourself a big favor to use voxel or circle_jerk to 'unlock' your routers potential & communicate with the modem directly. Your second worst option (besides leaving it as is) is probably to flash back to original netgear firmare, but your modem will likely erase all your setting everytime it reboots (so you gotta start all over). Just switch to circlejerk or voxel and save yourself a lot of headaches.
Have used rooter in the past. Want to use this instead since have had some issues with AT&T on rooter for some reason.
Haven't modified one of these LBR20 before.
Thought that the Circle_Jerk was something running on Voxel. All I want to do is block out band 30 on AT&T. Keeps connecting as my primary band and making my upload speeds terrible. What is by best path for this and can I get some assistance maybe?
Have read the whole post from start to finish. Think you need some knowledge on it to understand this thread.
Also don't plan on using WiFi from the device just as a modem. Have another router plugged into it as a access point.

hazarjast

Post by hazarjast » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:56 am

gscheb wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:27 pm
Have used rooter in the past. Want to use this instead since have had some issues with AT&T on rooter for some reason.
Haven't modified one of these LBR20 before.
Thought that the Circle_Jerk was something running on Voxel. All I want to do is block out band 30 on AT&T. Keeps connecting as my primary band and making my upload speeds terrible. What is by best path for this and can I get some assistance maybe?
Have read the whole post from start to finish. Think you need some knowledge on it to understand this thread.
Also don't plan on using WiFi from the device just as a modem. Have another router plugged into it as a access point.
Your most user-friendly path forward is to downgrade your firmware to Netgear 2.5.2.20 (first link below), then flash Voxel (second link below):
https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files ... 5.2.20.zip
https://voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Vo ... 5SF-HW.zip

If you want to run on the latest Netgear firmware then your option is to use Circle_Jerk or at least the telnet-enable2 exe or Python script from it to enable telnet as Netgear has removed 'Enable telnet' option from 'debug.htm' on the newer firmware releases. Some folks prefer this option to keep on the latest Netgear firmware but given Netgear takes so long to patch security vulnerabilities etc. I prefer running Voxel myself (and I'll be the first to admit CJ install is typically a lot more effort for the uninitiated than simply downgrading and flashing Voxel).

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:26 am

hazarjast wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:56 am
Your most user-friendly path forward is to downgrade your firmware to Netgear 2.5.2.20 (first link below), then flash Voxel (second link below):
https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files ... 5.2.20.zip
https://voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Vo ... 5SF-HW.zip

If you want to run on the latest Netgear firmware then your option is to use Circle_Jerk or at least the telnet-enable2 exe or Python script from it to enable telnet as Netgear has removed 'Enable telnet' option from 'debug.htm' on the newer firmware releases. Some folks prefer this option to keep on the latest Netgear firmware but given Netgear takes so long to patch security vulnerabilities etc. I prefer running Voxel myself (and I'll be the first to admit CJ install is typically a lot more effort for the uninitiated than simply downgrading and flashing Voxel).
Thanks for the advice. Have a couple of questions.
1. If someone decides Voxel isn't for them is it easy enough to go back to Netgear Firmware?
2. Once you get Voxel loaded do you communicate to the modem thru telnet?
3. Once band 30 is locked out will it stay thru reboots of the device?

hazarjast

Post by hazarjast » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:21 am

gscheb wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:26 am
Thanks for the advice. Have a couple of questions.
1. If someone decides Voxel isn't for them is it easy enough to go back to Netgear Firmware?
2. Once you get Voxel loaded do you communicate to the modem thru telnet?
3. Once band 30 is locked out will it stay thru reboots of the device?
1. Yes, you can just flash Netgear firmware again if you dislike Voxel for whatever reason. If you do, I would recommend the same procedure of flashing 2.5.2.20 Netgear stock firmware then whatever Netgear stock version you want to upgrade to after that. This should ensure a clean slate when going back to Netgear stock firmware.
2. No telnet required, Voxel uses SSH which is superior from both usability and security perspectives. Just use Putty (or your other favorite SSH client) to connect to the LBR20 device IP on port 22 (instead of 23 which would be used for Telnet). Username is 'root' and password is whatever you setup for the webgui access when you complete the initial setup.
3. Cell cell locking is not reboot persistent in my experience; I cannot speak for band locking since I don't use it but based on my reading other posts I don't believe it is. For reboot persistence, please see my instructions in recent, previous replies for steps on how to create scripts and call from the overlay filesystem copy of 'rc.local'. Feel free to use my cell locking failsafe script if it is useful to you and/or you do not wish to create your own from scratch: https://github.com/hazarjast/circle_jer ... ailsafe.sh

MattB29

Post by MattB29 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:53 am

Would someone that has a Orbi LBR20 do a IMEI check at Cricket https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-ph ... your-phone to see if it is compatible? If not likely AT&T is also going to turn these off come Feb. 2022 as being 3G devices.

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:09 am

MattB29 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:53 am
Would someone that has a Orbi LBR20 do a IMEI check at Cricket https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-ph ... your-phone to see if it is compatible? If not likely AT&T is also going to turn these off come Feb. 2022 as being 3G devices.
Check your device's compatibility
Apologies! This LBR20 is not compatible with the Cricket Network due to network changes. Please visit cricketwireless.com/3Gnetworkshutdown for more details or see your Cricket store rep.
Why is my device incompatible?
Shop our selection of smartphones from brands you love and join the Cricket network.
Check another device for compatibility

MattB29

Post by MattB29 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:18 am

Thanks, about what I figured since it is not on AT&T whitelist.