Orbi LBR20 How-To / Megathread

How To Tutorials related to Routers and Firmware
Forum rules
This forum is for tutorials only--not for help or assistance.
shinesmart
Has thanked: 0

Re: Orbi LBR20 How-To / Megathread

Post by shinesmart » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:03 pm

Yes, I downgraded from v2.6.5.2 to v2.5.2.20, then did a factory reset and then installed Voxel’s build.

shinesmart

Post by shinesmart » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:23 pm

Voila! Once I fixed the script, I regained SSH access. Crazy how that script would cause the issue.

Just updated to the newer v9.2.5.2.23.1 Voxel firmware and it seems to be running well. Will continue comparing speed and performance results via WiFi as I’ve already established a baseline.

Up and running on the Postpaid Verizon Tablet Plan with TTL 64 and getting solid speeds:

Voxel v23.1: 90mb/30mb
Stock v2.6.5.2: 80mb/30mb

Speeds are about equal across both firmwares. 😎

Still trying to determine the correct TTL for avoiding throttle……64, 65 or 117.

Do you know which one works?

hazarjast

Post by hazarjast » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:05 am

shinesmart wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:23 pm
Voila! Once I fixed the script, I regained SSH access. Crazy how that script would cause the issue.

Just updated to the newer v9.2.5.2.23.1 Voxel firmware and it seems to be running well. Will continue comparing speed and performance results via WiFi as I’ve already established a baseline.

Up and running on the Postpaid Verizon Tablet Plan with TTL 64 and getting solid speeds:

Voxel v23.1: 90mb/30mb
Stock v2.6.5.2: 80mb/30mb

Speeds are about equal across both firmwares. 😎

Still trying to determine the correct TTL for avoiding throttle……64, 65 or 117.

Do you know which one works?
Excellent! Glad to hear you got it sorted. I'm going to add a bold disclaimer to the top of the OP indicating that my methods (CJ etc.) and Voxel firmware are mutually exclusive as they accomplish things much differently and as the Ghostbusters would say: "DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!" ;) Lol.

TTL decrements as it passes and generally accepted phone device value is 64 so, in my case on T-Mobile, a mangle value of 65 in the script gets me to 64 when my packets hit the network. I have not used VZW postpaid myself but from working with others using them typically a setting of 65 works there as well though I've had multiple people tell me 64 is working for them (which does not make much sense to me technically as you would think it would hit the carrier at 63?). Further strange is the 117 which really I have no way of explaining yet again some folks insist on older VZW plans it "just works". There seems to be an extra hop with Visible and I've seen folks use 66 for them, but now I'm just getting off on a tangent....

I would say start with 65 as it makes the most sense and just login to your plan portal and download a multi-GB file to check. May not be real time but in some minutes or logging out and coming back in, the VZW portal should show if you're pulling from your tether/hotspot bucket if they differentiate that from on-device data on your tablet plan. For T-Mobile after hotspot bucket is exhausted it hard throttles to 600Kbps so it's quite obvious when my iptables rules are not set or set correctly :)

shinesmart

Post by shinesmart » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:45 am

Unfortunately, the Verizon portal doesn’t differentiate mobile data vs hotspot data for this tablet plan, so it’s difficult to know exactly what’s being used.

Activated the sim in an iPad LTE and then migrated to the LBR20 with magic, so only shows 2.3GB usage on the data usage page since activation, and pretty sure I’ve used at least 10GB. It appears that my data usage is not being tracked while in the Orbi, which may indicate that it’s pulling from mobile data……but that’s just a hunch. I’ve tried all three TTL values 64, 65 and 117 and the data usage still remains at 2.3GB (which I suspect is from the initial iPad usage).

** Update: Had to view usage via the Verizon website and now shows 18GB data used. The My Verizon iOS app was not showing usage. Still doesn’t differentiate on device data vs hotspot data, so I’ll see what happens when I cross my allotment. ** 😫

Will be testing the AT&T Tablet Plan this week to compare Voxel vs Stock/CJ performance.

Do you know if Voxel is planning any future updates to the firmware, possibly building on top of 2.6.5.2?

hazarjast

Post by hazarjast » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:26 am

shinesmart wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:45 am
Unfortunately, the Verizon portal doesn’t differentiate mobile data vs hotspot data for this tablet plan, so it’s difficult to know exactly what’s being used.

Activated the sim in an iPad LTE and then migrated to the LBR20 with magic, so only shows 2.3GB usage on the data usage page since activation, and pretty sure I’ve used at least 10GB. It appears that my data usage is not being tracked while in the Orbi, which may indicate that it’s pulling from mobile data……but that’s just a hunch. I’ve tried all three TTL values 64, 65 and 117 and the data usage still remains at 2.3GB (which I suspect is from the initial iPad usage).

** Update: Had to view usage via the Verizon website and now shows 18GB data used. The My Verizon iOS app was not showing usage. Still doesn’t differentiate on device data vs hotspot data, so I’ll see what happens when I cross my allotment. ** 😫

Will be testing the AT&T Tablet Plan this week to compare Voxel vs Stock/CJ performance.

Do you know if Voxel is planning any future updates to the firmware, possibly building on top of 2.6.5.2?
Outside of the minor revision to add the updated QCA drivers for WiFi I am not aware of any additional planned revisions based on newer firmware. Since RBK20 hardware is closest to LBR20 we can likely expect that base release that is built off of will likely follow for future revisions. Voxel mostly uses SNB forums so his updates can be more closely followed there for the curious. Of course he can feel free to correct me on any misstatements here as well if so choosing :)

Again, 2.6.5.2 aside from WiFi performance improvement has so far offered no real functionality upgrade from lower revisions and only adds complexity to creation of new firmware given the increasingly convoluted cryptography and storage partitioning that Netgear is using these days (IMHO, their attempt to further obfuscate the use of old/bad code for 'security by obscurity' rather than actually improving and making quality updates in the underlying code).

hazarjast

Post by hazarjast » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:07 am

For optimal processing of rules, Voxel suggests splitting IPv4 and IPv6 into their own scripts and is updating his QuickStart.txt to reflect this:

Code: Select all

. . .
Additionally you can use your own custom scripts to add your own iptables rules. These
scripts should be named firewall-start.sh (IPv4), /opt/scripts/firewall6-start.sh (IPv6)
and be placed in the:

/mnt/circle/overlay/opt/scripts/

directory, i.e.

/mnt/circle/overlay/opt/scripts/firewall-start.sh
/mnt/circle/overlay/opt/scripts/firewall6-start.sh

with 755 permission attributes (i.e. executable).
(OP has been updated with the above for those that start there)

hazarjast

Post by hazarjast » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:40 am

egauk wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:33 pm
Would you mind sharing how you configured NextDNS to work on your Orbi? I see from the original post this is being used by modifying resolve.conf
In my case all my actual routing is handled by an upstream PFSense box which is running NextDNS CLI. On the Orbi I'm simply overwriting resolve.conf with the IP address of my PFSense so that any NextDNS requests originating from the Orbi go there. This does not affect my LAN clients at all as they are all getting DNS already from the gateway (i.e. NextDNS running on my PFSense host).

shinesmart

Post by shinesmart » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:12 pm

Ok, Verizon was able to fix the way the data usage was displaying on my account. Now I can clearly see the breakdown:

Data Usage: 23.4GB (sim in LBR20)
4G Hotspot Usage: 1.8GB (sim in iPad)

So, for my Verizon Postpaid Tablet Plan, it appears that TTL of either 64 or 65 will mask the hotspot usage in the LBR20. 👍🏽

Hope this helps others…..😎

hazarjast

Post by hazarjast » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:29 pm

shinesmart wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:12 pm
Ok, Verizon was able to fix the way the data usage was displaying on my account. Now I can clearly see the breakdown:

Data Usage: 23.4GB (sim in LBR20)
4G Hotspot Usage: 1.8GB (sim in iPad)

So, for my Verizon Postpaid Tablet Plan, it appears that TTL of either 64 or 65 will mask the hotspot usage in the LBR20. 👍🏽

Hope this helps others…..😎
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Sintrail

Post by Sintrail » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:14 pm

I'm looking for a better device than my Nighthawk M1 for Tmobile / Sprint. Would this device on it's latest firmware still be a good option? My requirements are that I need an ID change and preferably band locking as well, and external MIMO antennas.

I'd also prefer to create multiple SSIDs with SQM applied individually, though I guess I could do that through my current router and use this only as the modem, correct?