Configuring SIM8200EA

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card Topics
krist
Has thanked: 0

Re: Configuring SIM8200EA

Post by krist » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:12 am

I just got the Waveshare Kit too. For me it was the easiest way to get my hands ona SIM8200EA.
The board is indeed a bit of a mess. I have ordered a USB enclosure from LTE Fix, and will use that with a PCEngines board for trying things out.
I tried out so far with a Raspberry Pi4, and the latest Raspberry PI OS. That kernel saw the SIM8200EA just fine, and I was able to connect to the network. But speeds were disappointing.

I have ordered a extra device sim (my provider allows up to five sims on the same subscription) to put in it so I can experiment without having to constantly swap sims around (which is a pain on this kit...)

Poorguyyy

Post by Poorguyyy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:41 am

datasmasher wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:41 pm
On the Rooter forums there were several post from jheld talking about the module. He has written 2 updates to the existing modemsignal.sh and celltype.sh files, as well as two scripts to add the Simcom responses to the appropriate fields in Network Information. If you want to see what I did, take at:
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/ ... 718#r14346
and
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/ ... 718#r14351

There is still some work to do, but the modem does connect and CA is active occasionally. If you get yours to work, I would be curious as to the IP address the modem shows. I am seeing some strangeness and I am not sure if it is tmobile or something the modem is doing.
Hi, I am looking to buy SIM8200EA-M2 as well, any new findings on how to get it connected to Tmo network properly? Does the newest firmware of wg1608 still need script tweaking in order for SIM8200EA to work? Thank you so much!

krist
Has thanked: 0

Post by krist » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:38 am

I have now successfully connected to the network using this modem. This is what I did:
- I build a fedora33 system using a pcengines board, and connected the modem over USB

- I then just installed ModemManager.

Code: Select all

dnf install ModemManager NetworkManager-wwan
systemctl restart NetworkManager
- Then I issued the following commands:

sudo nmcli con add con-name "WWAN" type gsm ifname "*"  apn "gprs.swisscom.ch"
And I was online...

But not everything is as I expected... For example if I look at signal strength I get:

# qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --nas-get-signal-info
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Successfully got signal info
LTE:
	RSSI: '-65 dBm'
	RSRQ: '-20 dB'
	RSRP: '-105 dBm'
	SNR: '-9.2 dB'
5G:
	RSRP: '-32768 dBm'
	SNR: '-3276.8 dB'
	RSRQ: '-32768 dB'
Basically he seems to not be detecting in 5G signal...

Now around here 5G uses the uncommon n1 band. Maybe I need to configure something else first? Any suggestions?