Tanbam wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:41 pm
I know that this thread is a bit old, but I’ve done some simple tests using the internal antenna connectors.
I wasn’t happy with the drilling holes in the front strategy, so I modified the board a bit and soldered on a couple of U.FL connectors alongside the proprietary antenna connectors. Don’t worry, I’m a professional!
I’m not entirely convinced that the connector labeled “3” is for the LTE antenna, because it doesn’t have the same components around it as 1, 2, and 4, but I routed it and “4” out of the case using U.FL to SMA pigtails. I had to modify some of the internal plastic case to get it to fit, and just made small notches just big enough to fit the pigtail cables through.
It seems that there are seven internal antennas, so I’m not sure which is which.
Anyway, after I had the cables routed out, I hooked it up to my 4x4 panel. My signal, just the simple one in the web GUI, improved by 15dBm. I’m pretty rural and far from the tower, but my download speeds went from about 30Mbps to 65Mbps.
I tried it with and without the internal antennas plugged in and saw no difference in speeds at all. Removing the antenna from connector 2 dropped my speed from 65Mbps to around 40Mbps, and removing the last connector from antenna 1 dropped it back down to 30Mbps.
In the web GUI, only antenna 1 made any difference in the displayed signal levels, but I realize that that doesn’t show the full picture.
In summary, routing the internal antenna jacks to the outside and connecting them to an external antenna resulted in no improvement - at least for the bands that I’m using here. I’m quite sure that the method that I used was better than the eBay kits, as I examined one of those types of connectors that they use and don’t think that they would be grounded properly. The U.FL connectors that I installed resulted in a very solid connection, but no improvement.