Suggestions for Rural Setup

Related to Modems, Hotspots, Dongles ONLY
ecubed

Suggestions for Rural Setup

Post by ecubed » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm

My parents are moving to a rural area. Their only options for traditional internet service are satellite and from my experience that is shaky at best. They are moving from town where they had Comcast/Xfinity, so they are used to fairly decent speeds. They stream Hulu Live and Netflix for TV and their internet usage is mostly surfing and email.

I know of CradlePoint and Sierra Wireless modems through my work. From the research I've done online it seems like the Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 is a possibility.

Does anyone have any suggestions they can provide on an LTE setup that would work for their situation? I'm looking for hardware ideas as well as the best options for unlimited data service.

BillA

Re: Suggestions for Rural Setup

Post by BillA » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:07 pm

ecubed wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm
My parents are moving to a rural area. Their only options for traditional internet service are satellite and from my experience that is shaky at best. They are moving from town where they had Comcast/Xfinity, so they are used to fairly decent speeds. They stream Hulu Live and Netflix for TV and their internet usage is mostly surfing and email.

I know of CradlePoint and Sierra Wireless modems through my work. From the research I've done online it seems like the Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 is a possibility.

Does anyone have any suggestions they can provide on an LTE setup that would work for their situation? I'm looking for hardware ideas as well as the best options for unlimited data service.

Keep in mind, every carrier's data speeds will vary depending on lots of variables, including type of equipment used (most importantly the modem's CAT#, the higher the better), antennas used, distance from the tower, congestion due to peak hours, etc. For example on Tmobile using a CAT-6 modem, about a mile aways from the tower I get an average of 50Mbps speed, while with a CAT-18 modem I've seen as high as 300+Mbps. Everyone's experience will vary, and there's no better way to tell than actually trying it.

Here's all you need to get started.

Mobile data service
viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790

Mobile router/modem
viewtopic.php?p=6272#p6272

Antennas
At first you can try your service with the "stubby" antennas which comes with the router, and if you'd like to improve your signal/speed, you may want to get a pair of high gain external antennas.
https://ltefix.com/product-category/antennas/
These users thanked the author BillA for the post:
ecubed (Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:39 pm)

ecubed

Post by ecubed » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:30 pm

Thanks.

Will the EM12-G CAT12 or EM20-G CAT20 work with that same modem adapter?

BillA

Post by BillA » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:59 pm

ecubed wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:30 pm
Thanks.

Will the EM12-G CAT12 or EM20-G CAT20 work with that same modem adapter?

Yes as long as it's an M.2 modem connector.
These users thanked the author BillA for the post:
ecubed (Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:39 pm)