Help an idiot with a not working MoFi 4500

Topics related to Routers
Tim65

Help an idiot with a not working MoFi 4500

Post by Tim65 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:44 pm

Have had a MoFi 4500 for a year and a half or so, with a t and t for the service. Has worked great, have had to reset the module a time or two but for the most part worked flawlessly. Got to California set it up worked great, went to work and when I got back no connection at all. I have reset everything I can think to and done a factory reset with out any good results. Any advice? Any advice on what could be bought that would work better than this for gaming and some streaming?? I just want it working so I don’t lose my mind in my off time. Thanks!

Didneywhorl

Re: Help an idiot with a not working MoFi 4500

Post by Didneywhorl » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:05 am

What plan are you using for your service?

Does the device connect still, just no internet?

What signal stats are you getting?

Need more info.
LTE noob, for sure. Learning though.

Tim65

Post by Tim65 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:11 pm

Still registered a signal but no internet, a decent signal if I remember correctly. It worked one evening and then nothing the next. I can jump and on it tonight and get actual numbers if that will help.

BillA

Post by BillA » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:28 pm

Tim65 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:11 pm
Still registered a signal but no internet, a decent signal if I remember correctly. It worked one evening and then nothing the next. I can jump and on it tonight and get actual numbers if that will help.

If you still have the old ATT tablet/iPad plan make sure the APN is set to "broadband" or alternatively "nxtgenphone".
There are lots of reports online that ATT is clamping down big time on router usage especially on their newer $65/$75 prepaid plans. As an alternative, you may want to choose another carrier from here > viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790

Chungus23

Post by Chungus23 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:23 pm

If you still have the old ATT tablet/iPad plan make sure the APN is set to "broadband" or alternatively "nxtgenphone".
There are lots of reports online that ATT is clamping down big time on router usage especially on their newer $65/$75 prepaid plans.

If you got the APN down, the TTL changed, and the IMEI changed, can a carrier really do anything? They might only terminate your account on the basis of extreme usage but how would they be able to find out you're actually using a router device instead?

BillA

Post by BillA » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 pm

Chungus23 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:23 pm
If you got the APN down, the TTL changed, and the IMEI changed, can a carrier really do anything? They might only terminate your account on the basis of extreme usage but how would they be able to find out you're actually using a router device instead?

FYI, they still know based on the excessive usage along with the UA of desktop browsers, and other modem parameters sent to the network besides the illegal imei change. With moderate usage it may fly under the radar, or it may not.

Chungus23

Post by Chungus23 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:16 am

Can that UA detection be circumvented by going through a VPN? Either way, what are the chances they would detect past that and look at modem parameters? I dont think the average AT&T employee even has the tools to do that. It would be an issue if they did a serious investigation and idk how often that happens. Even when they shut down the $35 ipad plan, a lot of people using 1 tb+ didn't get shut down.