This a good router option for Tmobile?

Topics related to Routers
Grizz

This a good router option for Tmobile?

Post by Grizz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:07 am

relatively new to this.. have been using ATT ipad plan in CBA850 for the last 6 months and with the current question of that plan I am looking at Tmobile. Question is will this router be a good option for Band 71 with Tmobile? It appears I will have the ability to set the TTL on this one as well and would be using this as a modem for my mesh network in home.

https://store.gl-inet.com/collections/4 ... art-router

available on amazon also

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQ6JXJC/re ... B07MB5GMWG

BillA

Re: This a good router option for Tmobile?

Post by BillA » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:58 pm

Grizz wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:07 am
relatively new to this.. have been using ATT ipad plan in CBA850 for the last 6 months and with the current question of that plan I am looking at Tmobile. Question is will this router be a good option for Band 71 with Tmobile? It appears I will have the ability to set the TTL on this one as well and would be using this as a modem for my mesh network in home.

https://store.gl-inet.com/collections/4 ... art-router

available on amazon also

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQ6JXJC/re ... B07MB5GMWG

If you're gonna get the Spitz and want band 71 support, then you should go with the EC25-AF modem. Its drawback is that it's only a CAT-4 modem (bands: B2/B4/B5/B12/B13/B14/B66/B71). If you go with the EP06-A CAT-6 modem, it's lacking band 71 in favor of higher overall throughput (bands: B2/B4/B5/B7/B12/B13/B25/B26/B29/B30/B66).
In my opinion, I would give up band 71 which is only a 5Mhz bandwidth in most areas for a higher CAT modem. Unfortunately not many low or mid range modems support band 71, you'll have to spend above 200 bucks to get it in a high end modem like the Telit LM960 CAT-18 / FN980 5G M.2, or Simcom SIM8200EA CAT-22,

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:31 pm

ok good info.. I am getting a tmobile test drive sent to me so I can check speeds at my house. Should I just stick with the CBA850 I have with the Tmobile SIM, provided that I get good speeds? I am unsure of how to set the TTL since I only use the CBA850 as a modem and run an amplifi mesh network in the house.

BillA

Post by BillA » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Grizz wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:31 pm
ok good info.. I am getting a tmobile test drive sent to me so I can check speeds at my house. Should I just stick with the CBA850 I have with the Tmobile SIM, provided that I get good speeds? I am unsure of how to set the TTL since I only use the CBA850 as a modem and run an amplifi mesh network in the house.

If you stick with the CBA850, then you don't have much choice in modems, and not sure if you can even set the TTL on it (probably not). OpenWRT routers are more flexible, they have replaceable modems AND the all important TTL settings, which is a must for certain carriers such as Tmobile.

terryjett

Post by terryjett » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:31 pm

Grizz wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:31 pm
T-Mobile test drive SIM will not work outside the coolsurf hotspot or at least for me. Even called T-Mobile and asked if could try it in another hotspot since coolsurf was not connecting to network. Nope, it is locked to that hotspot.

I wanted to test speeds before committing to another plan using test drive SIM. But seems that is not possible.
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:49 am

I was just going to run speedtest.net to see if the speeds are decent. If so, I figured I could always improve on them by aiming my directional antennas when I get a usable SIM. I have never built a router for this though.. i purchased the cba850 from lte fix.

terryjett

Post by terryjett » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 am

I figured I could always improve on them by aiming my directional antennas when I get a usable SIM.
From my tests using a t-mobile test drive hotspot SIM, the SIM will not work in any router (no matter where you buy the router) except one provided by t-mobile for the test drive.

I even called t-mobile test drive team. Begged the lady to let me try in another hotspot since the cheap one they provided would not connect to tower 1.5 miles away. Her exact words to me were "sorry, there is nothing we can do, SIM is locked to that device".

When you get the test drive hotspot, pop SIM into your cba850 and it will show connected. But when you open browser and try to surf, message will appear saying something like does not work with this device.
-Albert Einstein

BillA

Post by BillA » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:17 pm

terryjett wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 am
From my tests using a t-mobile test drive hotspot SIM, the SIM will not work in any router (no matter where you buy the router) except one provided by t-mobile for the test drive.

I even called t-mobile test drive team. Begged the lady to let me try in another hotspot since the cheap one they provided would not connect to tower 1.5 miles away. Her exact words to me were "sorry, there is nothing we can do, SIM is locked to that device".

When you get the test drive hotspot, pop SIM into your cba850 and it will show connected. But when you open browser and try to surf, message will appear saying something like does not work with this device.

Tmobile uses imei lock on that service/hotspot, and with a "special" command on certain modems you could clone it, but I don't condone it, and that's my rhyme for today. lol

terryjett

Post by terryjett » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:17 pm

BillA wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:17 pm
Tmobile uses imei lock on that service/hotspot, and with a "special" command on certain modems you could clone it, but I don't condone it, and that's my rhyme for today. lol
Funny man, lol. But, very interesting info. Have to think about this...
These users thanked the author terryjett for the post:
BillA (Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:19 pm)
-Albert Einstein

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:35 am

Hello all,
Currently use T-Mobile with a MC7455. 2 way carrier aggregation with band 2 and 12. Been thinking of upgrading myself at times to more powerful modem.
So I called T-Mobile and asked what bands my local tower has? Was told it has bands 2, 3, 12, 71.
Does anyone know what band 3 is? Not listed on T-Mobile website.
Also does anyone have any advice on what modem could move to with this info?