Affordable Alternative to ATT iPad?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
thejohnfist

Affordable Alternative to ATT iPad?

Post by thejohnfist » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:46 am

Started using the AT&T iPad plan a while back, works great except that I'm in an AT&T dense user area. Anytime there is an event at the local school, my internet plummets to being borderline unusable.

Previously I was using Sprint and never had this issue, but it's tough to find a Sprint supplier at a reasonable price.

Tmo isn't available in my area, and Verizon seems to be overpriced as always.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I'd like to try Netbuddy for Sprint but they won't sell it monthly or without the hotspot unit that I don't need. :/

swwifty

Re: Affordable Alternative to ATT iPad?

Post by swwifty » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 am

thejohnfist wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:46 am
Started using the AT&T iPad plan a while back, works great except that I'm in an AT&T dense user area. Anytime there is an event at the local school, my internet plummets to being borderline unusable.

Previously I was using Sprint and never had this issue, but it's tough to find a Sprint supplier at a reasonable price.

Tmo isn't available in my area, and Verizon seems to be overpriced as always.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I'd like to try Netbuddy for Sprint but they won't sell it monthly or without the hotspot unit that I don't need. :/
All the "cheaper" mobile carriers are just reselling ATT/Tmobile/Verizon.

If you have Verizon cell service, or know someone that has it, you could do some testing before committing to their service.

thejohnfist

Post by thejohnfist » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Yeah I have good Verizon and Sprint coverage in my area. Most Verizon resellers want north of $100/mo which seems absurd to me.

There's a few more affordable options for Sprint, but none seem to be monthly.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:35 pm

thejohnfist wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:29 pm
Yeah I have good Verizon and Sprint coverage in my area. Most Verizon resellers want north of $100/mo which seems absurd to me.

There's a few more affordable options for Sprint, but none seem to be monthly.
I thought Verizon had an unlimited plan again that was around 70 bucks a month? Maybe I'm dreaming, but I got mine a while back when they had their $65 a month unlimited plan.

Is the issue with AT&T frequent enough that it warrants ditching them?

thejohnfist

Post by thejohnfist » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:44 pm

I think it might be a band issue. I'm going to try locking out B30 but not sure if that's possible without getting a usb adapter for my modem.