New to forum. Currently using a mofi4500

Related to Modems, Hotspots, Dongles ONLY
gscheb

Re: New to forum. Currently using a mofi4500

Post by gscheb » Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm

Didneywhorl wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 pm
My base favorite configuration right now is the WG3526P router (Poe version) with an upgraded power supply, a Quectel EM20G modem installed into a USB30 to m.2 key b adapter, that is plugged into the front usb port on the wg3526 router
Hello again Didneywhorl,
Crazy question time!
Since already have a we826 and don't use the wifi, it is disabled in the attic. Can I take the wifi antennas out and replace them with 4g antennas. Then use the adapter card to install a em20-g modem. Know that the lan ports are a limitation with this thing.
You talked about using enclosure to feed internet into usb port on a router. Can it go in reverse? Can I get internet out of the usb port on the we826? Like use a ethernet to usb adapter to feed internet down to my house router.
If this is possible you have small enclosure with the rooter firmware loaded all in one device.
Is this possible?
Is this crazy?
Thanks for continuing to answer questions.
Have some experience setting up these systems for myself and others. But always used we826 with lower cat modems with u.fl connectors. Like quectel ec25-af, ep06 & sierra wireless mc7455.
So basically this is just a little out of my comfort zone.

Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl » Sat May 23, 2020 12:51 am

Fun time ;)
gscheb wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm
.... Can I take the wifi antennas out and replace them with 4g antennas. ...
Nope, those pigs are soldered to the we826 board. But you could try to fit 2 more on the case cover facing upwards. Odd to put a $250 modem in a $60 router though ;) Go for it! :p
gscheb wrote:
You talked about using enclosure to feed internet into usb port on a router. Can it go in reverse? Can I get internet out of the usb port on the we826? Like use a ethernet to usb adapter to feed internet down to my house router.
If this is possible you have small enclosure with the rooter firmware loaded all in one device.
Is this possible?
Dont think so, the usb to eth adapters need drivers to work, and rooter lacks support. I could be wrong, give it a go!
gscheb wrote:
Is this crazy?
Heck no! Try it all! :)
gscheb wrote:
Thanks for continuing to answer questions.
Have some experience setting up these systems for myself and others. But always used we826 with lower cat modems with u.fl connectors. Like quectel ec25-af, ep06 & sierra wireless mc7455.
So basically this is just a little out of my comfort zone.
Anytime! Were all a little uncomfortable with these things the first time we go about it.
LTE noob, for sure. Learning though.

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Sun May 24, 2020 1:58 pm

Didneywhorl wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:51 am
Dont think so, the usb to eth adapters need drivers to work, and rooter lacks support. I could be wrong, give it a go!
Think this adapter idea is dead in the water. We826 has usb2 port. All the ethernet to USB 2 ports I have found are limited too 100 just like the lan ports so no point in it.
Did see some that where rated at 1000 adapters but always for USB 3.

Just didn't want to have a quality router like the wg3526 to be in a attic with wifi disabled. When all you really need is a modem box essentially.

Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl » Sun May 24, 2020 8:32 pm

Get a used netgear or something similar, thst has a usb3 port
LTE noob, for sure. Learning though.

BillA

Post by BillA » Sun May 24, 2020 8:50 pm

gscheb wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:58 pm
Think this adapter idea is dead in the water. We826 has usb2 port. All the ethernet to USB 2 ports I have found are limited too 100 just like the lan ports so no point in it.
Did see some that where rated at 1000 adapters but always for USB 3.

Just didn't want to have a quality router like the wg3526 to be in a attic with wifi disabled. When all you really need is a modem box essentially.

If you don't want to sacrifice a WG3526 as a simple modem adapter, you could leave it inside your home to be used as your main router with WiFi on, and simply run a USB extension cable to the attic/roof where you would have the modem in an inexpensive USB enclosure such as
mPCIe > https://ltefix.com/shop/pcie-m-2/mini-p ... card-slot/
M.2 > https://ltefix.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/.

The idea is the reverse of extending the router's ethernet port, instead you would extend its usb port (they sell over 100 foot long active USB3 extension cables which also provides power to the modem in the enclosure). I made a post about this setup a while back here > viewtopic.php?p=6607#p6607