My 4G setup/project

This a discussion place for anything.
swwifty

Re: My 4G setup/project

Post by swwifty » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:07 pm

SliverGT wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:42 am
My build is fully operational and ready to mount outside close to the antennas. Just wanted to say thanks for your contribution here, not sure I would have attempted this without seeing someone else be successful with it.

IMG_4888.JPG
awesome! thanks for sharing! that looks like a nicer setup than mine! :D

Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:36 pm

Have you seen the LTE modem Hat for the Rpi? I'm wondering how well it works

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:48 pm

Didneywhorl wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:36 pm
Have you seen the LTE modem Hat for the Rpi? I'm wondering how well it works
I looked at them a while back, and they were all low level CAT rated, verses buying the newer Sierra MC series modems which supported the latest LTE releases.

BillA

Post by BillA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:55 pm

SliverGT wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:42 am
My build is fully operational and ready to mount outside close to the antennas. Just wanted to say thanks for your contribution here, not sure I would have attempted this without seeing someone else be successful with it.

IMG_4888.JPG

I was wondering what's the function of the RPi box connected to the router right next to it?
Oh never mind, I thought that the black box is a WE826, but just realized it's a modem enclosure, since it wasn't labeled. lol

SliverGT
Has thanked: 0

Post by SliverGT » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:11 am

Yep, it's the LTE Fix USB 3.0 to M.2 enclosure.

https://ltefix.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/

SliverGT

Post by SliverGT » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:31 pm

I got my box mounted up high close to the antennas and it's working great. My speeds are usually 50-70mbps down and 15-20 up. No disconnects like I was getting with my Mofi4500.

It seems like I must be close to the limit on power using one POE for both the Rpi and M.2 7565. What are the symptoms of inadequate power? Is there any benefit to having a 2nd POE splitter dedicated to the M.2 7565? According to the specs the RPi3b+ can supply a max of 1.2 amps to its USB 2.0 port.

Here's what I'm using for POE.
48v 1.5amp 72w POE injector from LTEfix.
https://ltefix.com/shop/power-adapter/p ... -1-5a-72w/

5v 2.4 amps POE splitter from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CN ... UTF8&psc=1

BillA

Post by BillA » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:44 pm

SliverGT wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:31 pm
I got my box mounted up high close to the antennas and it's working great. My speeds are usually 50-70mbps down and 15-20 up. No disconnects like I was getting with my Mofi4500.

It seems like I must be close to the limit on power using one POE for both the Rpi and M.2 7565. What are the symptoms of inadequate power? Is there any benefit to having a 2nd POE splitter dedicated to the M.2 7565? According to the specs the RPi3b+ can supply a max of 1.2 amps to its USB 2.0 port.

Here's what I'm using for POE.
48v 1.5amp 72w POE injector from LTEfix.
https://ltefix.com/shop/power-adapter/p ... -1-5a-72w/

5v 2.4 amps POE splitter from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CN ... UTF8&psc=1

The symptoms of an under powered router/modem are usually random disconnects from the network and/or reboots of the device. 5V/1.2Amp is borderline adequate, modems work better with over 5V/2Amps.
A note on the POE adapters, while the specs look good, its actual Amp output drops linearly with the length of the cable run and thickness/quality of the CAT cable, the longer the run, the less power at the end. I've seen setups where instead of POE, a long 110V extension cable was run to the remote box, needing relatively low power for a couple of power bricks, one can use a cheap long 110V extension cable.

SliverGT

Post by SliverGT » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 pm

I haven't experienced any reboots or disconnects.

I'm using 35ft of cat6 23awg solid copper outdoor cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JA ... UTF8&psc=1

I don't have a 110v outlet anywhere close. It sounds like it would be a good idea to add a 2nd POE injector/splitter for the modem. Does the injector need to be connected to a switch if it's for power only?

BillA

Post by BillA » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:54 pm

SliverGT wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 pm
I haven't experienced any reboots or disconnects.

I'm using 35ft of cat6 23awg solid copper outdoor cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JA ... UTF8&psc=1

I don't have a 110v outlet anywhere close. It sounds like it would be a good idea to add a 2nd POE injector/splitter for the modem. Does the injector need to be connected to a switch if it's for power only?

Yes, a second POE for just the modem should deliver enough power, again taking into consideration the length of the cable run. As an alternative, you could use a common 10AmpHour battery/power pack mounted into the remote box, with the POE splitter's output plugged into the power pack's input, and the modem into the power pack's output, which would give you enough Amps buffer during usage spikes that you wouldn't need to run a second POE cable. ;)

A 110V extension cord doesn't have to be any longer than the ethernet cable, assuming you have an outlet near your router. Its advantage is that you could power a lot more devices using a single cable without having to worry about the Amps.

Also, they make solar powered/rechargeable LiPo power packs commonly used as an emergency phone charger, a 20 to 50AmpHour pack should be able to power the remote gear all night long and charge up during day time even if it's not sunny (just a thought). A 20AmpHour pack at 5V should be good for up to 20 hours without recharging, and if "Green" is your "thing", this could be a viable solution. Heck, you could even use a wind turbine, a steam engine, or hamsters running in generator wheel... lol just kidding!

SliverGT

Post by SliverGT » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:45 am

In order to use a 110v extension cord from my router it would need to go through an outside wall. through the crawlspace and through an inside wall. That would be an electrical code violation and not something I want to risk doing. It's possible to find an electrical circuit in the the crawlspace to tap into, install a junction box and install an outdoor rated outlet on the outside wall below the modem. That's a lot more work than just running another low voltage cable.

The battery is an interesting idea. I'll probably just run another cat6 cable since I already have everything except the POE splitter.