26 dBi ultra wide-band parabolic grid antenna

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Need4Speed

Re: 26 dBi ultra wide-band parabolic grid antenna

Post by Need4Speed » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:51 am

swwifty wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:25 am
FYI the EM7565 has a firmware bug that shows the main signal stats on B66 to be weaker than they really are. I noticed that in a couple of your screenshots. It's not an actual problem.
Thanks! I'm 100% positive about my connections being tight. Gonna crack open the router today and just double check that they're fully clipped on the modem pins. I do recall reading that some had issues with them popping off. I'm pretty sure this isn't the case here but opening up the router just to double check is a breeze and will confirm. I think my next tweak will be to close the distance between the two and see if I can get any improvement. I'm just nervous that it's gonna be extremely difficult to get them back in sync once I loosen up a mount.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:55 am

Need4Speed wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:51 am
Thanks! I'm 100% positive about my connections being tight. Gonna crack open the router today and just double check that they're fully clipped on the modem pins. I do recall reading that some had issues with them popping off. I'm pretty sure this isn't the case here but opening up the router just to double check is a breeze and will confirm. I think my next tweak will be to close the distance between the two and see if I can get any improvement. I'm just nervous that it's gonna be extremely difficult to get them back in sync once I loosen up a mount.
honestly, with the speeds you are showing I wouldn't bother. I did alot of experimentation and found very little difference.

The only thing I'd be worried about is big signal differences between the two antennas. This is a sign of multipath, and can severely degrade the performance of the link, but it doesn't seem you have any issues with your setup.

Need4Speed

Post by Need4Speed » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:23 am

Thanks. I'm getting very consistent speeds with the current setup. I'll average 50-60dl/25-30up during congestion times and when it's not congested it'll give me the faster band 2 that pulls 100-130dl/35-40up. It's operating in QMI since that's how it came. You think switching to MBIM would help any? I'm probably just fine as is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! LoL

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Need4Speed wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:23 am
Thanks. I'm getting very consistent speeds with the current setup. I'll average 50-60dl/25-30up during congestion times and when it's not congested it'll give me the faster band 2 that pulls 100-130dl/35-40up. It's operating in QMI since that's how it came. You think switching to MBIM would help any? I'm probably just fine as is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! LoL
I wouldn't bother. I did notice with Verizon that when I changed between QMI and MBIM modes I got connected to different bands. You could try that to see what happens, but your connection already sounds really good for LTE.
These users thanked the author swwifty for the post:
Need4Speed (Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:58 pm)

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:05 pm

swwifty wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:25 am
FYI the EM7565 has a firmware bug that shows the main signal stats on B66 to be weaker than they really are. I noticed that in a couple of your screenshots. It's not an actual problem.
Wow, that's a crazy, specific bug. Do you have a link to a source on this bug from the Sierra website, or was it in some release notes?

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Need4Speed wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:23 am
We've found that MBIM will increase latency (other threads on here), so you might see that side effect.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:15 pm

Need4Speed wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:51 am
I think my next tweak will be to close the distance between the two and see if I can get any improvement. I'm just nervous that it's gonna be extremely difficult to get them back in sync once I loosen up a mount.
If there is the bug that swwifty mentioned, then that makes it much more difficult to know what is truly going on. For your closer tower, you are probably clearing all obstacles. For the one further away, you might be clipping some stuff. When you start hitting obstacles, the lower antenna is going to suffer more than the upper, generally. That's the thought behind moving them closer together.

However, without knowing the true signals stats for the primary antenna, you are just hunting in the dark. The only way I can think of to do it there is to swap the cables at the router, on the outside of the router. You don't need to open the router and swap at the modem. And repeatedly disconnecting and connecting at the modem could weaken the internal cable ends. In theory, if it is only the primary antenna that is affected on band 66, then you would be swapping the primary and secondary and could get the true RSRP value from the lower antenna first and then get the true value from the upper antenna after the swap. You could then compare those two to see which one is better. By running the signal stats multiple times and rerunning after swapping back, you can know if there is enough natural variation to invalidate this specific measurement too.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 pm

xdavidx wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:05 pm
Wow, that's a crazy, specific bug. Do you have a link to a source on this bug from the Sierra website, or was it in some release notes?
It's on their site with the firmware release notes (you have to have a login to see this information).

I took a screenshot of the bug info see below:
Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 3.16.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 3.16.00 PM.png (11.54 KiB) Viewed 221 times
When I upgraded the EM7565 I had to this version it resolved the issue.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Wait just a minute! B66 problems or not, you do have a primary antenna vs secondary antenna issue.

You posted these stats for the non-Walter CID:

Code: Select all

AT!GSTATUS?
!GSTATUS: 
Current Time:  10873		Temperature: 55
Reset Counter: 1		Mode:        ONLINE         
System mode:   LTE        	PS state:    Attached     
LTE band:      B12    		LTE bw:      5 MHz   
LTE Rx chan:   5145		LTE Tx chan: 23145
LTE SSC1 state:ACTIVE      	LTE SSC1 band: B2     
LTE SSC1 bw  : 15 MHz  		LTE SSC1 chan: 675
LTE SSC2 state:ACTIVE      	LTE SSC2 band: B4     
LTE SSC2 bw  : 10 MHz  		LTE SSC2 chan: 2200
LTE SSC3 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC4 state:NOT ASSIGNED
EMM state:     Registered     	Normal Service 
RRC state:     RRC Connected  
IMS reg state: No Srv  		

PCC RxM RSSI:  -53		PCC RxM RSRP:  -69
PCC RxD RSSI:  -46		PCC RxD RSRP:  -67
SCC1 RxM RSSI: -53		SCC1 RxM RSRP: -84
SCC1 RxD RSSI: -40		SCC1 RxD RSRP: -75
SCC2 RxM RSSI: -54		SCC2 RxM RSRP: -85
SCC2 RxD RSSI: -42		SCC2 RxD RSRP: -80
Tx Power:      -1		TAC:         4004 (16388)
RSRQ (dB):     -11.1		Cell ID:     0349a411 (55157777)
SINR (dB):     12.6

OK
'

Assuming the B66 bug doesn't also affect all the other bands, you still have an issue between the primary antenna and the secondary antenna. You've got a little less than a 2 fold reduction in strength on B12, an almost 10 fold reduction on B2, and an almost 4 fold reduction on B4, with every 3 points being a doubling of strength.

Swapping the cables at the outside of the router first would tell you if it is something to do with the modem connections or not. If it doesn't make the primary be stronger than the secondary, then it is probably the modem connections. If it does make the primary become stronger, then it is either a connection issue somewhere between the antennas and the router connections or it is an aiming thing.

Twisting the mast (marking it first so you can get back to zero) to see if you can get the primary stronger than the secondary antenna would be the next logical step. If you can't get it stronger, then I would suspect connections. If you can get it stronger, then I would suspect aiming.

By doing the above, you don't have to disconnect the lower antenna until you are pretty sure what is going on. I definitely hear you about disconnecting it and risking affecting the in-sync aiming of them. Would be a shame to do it if it isn't needed.

And if it is an aiming issue, it could still technically be a left to right aiming (most common), but could also be an up down aiming, so keep that in the back if your head.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:31 pm

swwifty wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 pm
It's on their site with the firmware release notes (you have to have a login to see this information).

I took a screenshot of the bug info see below:

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 3.16.00 PM.png

When I upgraded the EM7565 I had to this version it resolved the issue.
Does it say it is specific to B66 somewhere? It also says SCC1. It doesn't show SCC2 as being a problem in the notes?

Well, either way, I guess it would be a good idea to upgrade the firmware you are on, @Need4Speed, to take that variable out of the equation.