Advantage to reflash Mofi firmware?

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
A.Bursell

Re: Advantage to reflash Mofi firmware?

Post by A.Bursell » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Order placed and I see it shipped already. Will update once it comes in and I work on it.

Thanks again!

A.Bursell

Post by A.Bursell » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Hello Jim!

I worked on this today and had some learning experience but mostly success! First think I worked through your tutorial and reloaded all four firmwares (just so they would be most updated), ending with the generic -- and did them twice. Put everything back together and it worked. I decided to try to make sure I had a fresh start so I did the reset again like your tutorial shows and it reverted back to the old firmware and I had a mismatch. This is exactly what happened before. Not sure why it happened (twice). So I took it apart and reloaded the firmwares again, put it back together and I am up and running again!

I am going to avoid the reset again, but it is good to know I can get back up and running again if I need to. I would like to know why doing the reset reverts the firmware on this one and causes a mismatch if you happen to know? I have some other questions, but I'll do some more thread searching and make new posts if I need to.

Thanks again for all of your help!

BillA

Post by BillA » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:46 pm

A.Bursell wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:39 pm
Hello Jim!

I worked on this today and had some learning experience but mostly success! First think I worked through your tutorial and reloaded all four firmwares (just so they would be most updated), ending with the generic -- and did them twice. Put everything back together and it worked. I decided to try to make sure I had a fresh start so I did the reset again like your tutorial shows and it reverted back to the old firmware and I had a mismatch. This is exactly what happened before. Not sure why it happened (twice). So I took it apart and reloaded the firmwares again, put it back together and I am up and running again!

I am going to avoid the reset again, but it is good to know I can get back up and running again if I need to. I would like to know why doing the reset reverts the firmware on this one and causes a mismatch if you happen to know? I have some other questions, but I'll do some more thread searching and make new posts if I need to.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Sierra modems (in particular the MC7455) are known to lock up after a router reset. However, by flashing GoldenOrb and sending the QMI mode commands, usually fixes the issue. I believe it has something to do with either getting stuck in the wrong mode, or the firmware doesn't get loaded properly. Unfortunately those who don't own an external usb adapter, they are SOL. :/
As an weird fix, I was wondering if flashing all 4 slots on the MC7455 with the SAME generic firmware would eliminate the reset issue. Maybe someone can try it and report back. ;)

A.Bursell

Post by A.Bursell » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:48 am

Thanks for the reply. I have all 4 slots filled on mine and each time I took it out I flashed each one. Twice if I remember right. Didn't have any effect that I could tell, I still got stuck and had to do it again when I tried the reset.
These users thanked the author A.Bursell for the post:
BillA (Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:42 pm)