Advantage to reflash Mofi firmware?

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
A.Bursell

Advantage to reflash Mofi firmware?

Post by A.Bursell » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:48 pm

Hello,

I have a Mofi4500 on AT&T and am not satisfied with the speeds. A lot of it is due to signal strength, which is difficult to correct in this situation. However, I do see some funny things- like I normally connect to band 12/17 and band 2 for CA, when doing a signal scan I get a MUCH better signal on Band 4, but when I connect I never am able to get internet. It connects to the band, but doesn't connect to where I can use it. Not sure if this is firmware, hardware, or signal related. Just one example.

I'm wondering if there may be an advantage to running GoldenOrb instead of the Mofi firmware. I have never used it before, but I understand from reading here it is "better." For the most part, Mofi firmware has worked and I keep up on it with updates as they come out.

My questions are, would I be better off with different firmware, or am I just spinning my wheels? And, if it would be worth flashing, do I just do it through the Mofi manually flash firmware menu, or do I need to follow a different process?

Thanks!

JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Advantage to reflash Mofi firmware?

Post by JimHelms » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:29 am

A.Bursell wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:48 pm

My questions are, would I be better off with different firmware, or am I just spinning my wheels? And, if it would be worth flashing, do I just do it through the Mofi manually flash firmware menu, or do I need to follow a different process?

Thanks!
You can try a different firmware build, and if it brings no value, reflash it back to the MoFi firmware.

You will need to use THIS process to update the firmware which includes links to different builds.

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:37 am

Hello.
Have done what you are talking about. In in my experience the golden orb has better connectivity. The mofi keeps dropping the signal on me. But seen no difference in download speeds at all. They where identical in my case.
A.Bursell wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:48 pm
like I normally connect to band 12/17 and band 2 for CA,

When it comes to this if you could get a pair of antennas and get this situation reversed. Meaning band 2 is the primary and band 12/17 is the CA band then you would see allot more speeds that is what I did.
One thing you can try with out buying anything is if you band lock to band 2 only. Know it sounds like the two would be faster together but in my experience if band 12/17 is the primary it runs faster on band 2 only. Now remember if you your band 2 isn't real strong signal could be unavailable at times and this isn't the way LTE performs at its best. But could be something you could try quickly without much effort. Think you will see faster speeds and band locking is very simple with the Mofi software. Hope that helps, good luck.

A.Bursell

Post by A.Bursell » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:49 am

Thank you both. I think I tried locking to 2 before and saw better download speeds but it crippled the upload speed. I didn't mess with it any more after but worth trying again. I'll use the link provided for the flash as well- thanks. Won't be able to get to this until next week but I will report back.

Any more comments are welcome.

Thanks again!

A.Bursell

Post by A.Bursell » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:05 am

Well - I'm in trouble now.

Started out good. I flashed over to the WiFix 11-16-19 firmware and everything started up nicely and I think was working better. BUT, in my looking around and trying to do the best I could, I followed a tutorial on here and reset the modem and reflashed (thinking I would make sure I cleared everything out). From that point on it has been downhill. The modem would no longer connect to the internet. I tried and tried several different resets but could never get it to connect back again. I could get into the firmware and click around and see things happening in the debug screen, but never a connection.

I decided to try reflashing to the Mofi firmware to see if it would reset. Worse now. It looked like it reflashed ok, but again wouldn't connect. So I tried to reflash again and I'm not sure what happened, but I can't even get into the firmware now. I tried recovery mode and I can't get into that.

When I try to get into the webpage I get this error:

Help please?!?
Attachments
Annotation 2019-12-08 005830.png
Annotation 2019-12-08 005830.png (7.2 KiB) Viewed 262 times

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:02 am

Did you clear your cache in the browser? This can cuase issues if not cleared. Could also just try another browser. Like instead of chrome use fire fox and etc.

A.Bursell

Post by A.Bursell » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks for the reply. Yes I cleared cache and tried with multiple browsers (IE, Chrome) and get the same results.

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:41 am

I have had to do this couple times, recovery mode and it worked.

viewtopic.php?t=5

A.Bursell

Post by A.Bursell » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:01 pm

gscheb wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:41 am
I have had to do this couple times, recovery mode and it worked.

viewtopic.php?t=5
Thanks- that's actually what I tried. I haven't been able to get into the recovery mode again even though the lights on the modem indicate I should be. I will continue to try, but I feel like I have this in a bad state and not sure how to get it all reset.

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Well would you need to slightly modify the steps on the recovery mode since the steps are for golden or and not mofi? Since the two have different ip addresses.