WE1326 cant connect to 5G WiFi

Related to Router Devices ONLY
xdavidx

Re: WE1326 cant connect to 5G WiFi

Post by xdavidx » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:13 pm

It *should* be fine, but unfortunately, these things do seem to be lacking in the wifi area. It might give you slower speeds than what you get on the LTE side, depending on how fast that is and the distance you are from the router.

I have a Roku Ultra here (setting it up for my parents). I just tried to connect it to my regular wifi router on one of the 5.8GHz radios. It has a lower than expected link speed. My router can limit the connection to N only or N/AC. I can't set it to AC only. I get a link speed of 115 to 170ish. It jumps around a lot if you aren't actively using the device (power savings feature, I'm assuming). When in use, I get a pretty consistent 173.3 Mbps link speed.

I thought it was only connecting at N. However, I changed my channel width to 80 MHz (only AC supports that, not N) on the router and it connected with the same link speed. My laptop, in the same location, that can only do 802.11N, gets a 300 Mbps link speed.

All this is to say that the Roku Ultra isn't too "ultra" when it comes to 802.11AC. :D

I did try setting my second radio in my regular wifi router to 149 and 80 MHz and the Roku connected to it fine. Same link speed, 173.3 Mbps. I thought maybe Roku's might have a problem with certain channels. This Roku Ultra is a model number 4660X. They like to reuse the model names for different model numbers.

Of course, interference is still *possible*, even though you tested away from the house. InSSIDer does have an android app that you could use to see what is going on around you. If you only have an iOS device, Ubiquiti has a free app called WiFiman in the Apple Store. I haven't used that one, but it looks like it would show you the used channels around you.

Lbnaz

Post by Lbnaz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:28 pm

xdavidx,
Thanks for checking this out.
I tried changing bandwidth for tha AC protocal, same results. I then tried N band with each bandwidth selection, same results. At this point I am thinking it is a hardware problem.
What router and firmware are you using?
Jim, Are you following this? what to do next?

Lbnaz

Post by Lbnaz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:32 pm

xdavidx, Jim
latest testing is done with no other 5G networks around me, It does not matter. This unit stated it can do 5G it should be able to do this. I am struggling with using another router for wireless network when this is supposed to be able to do this.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:15 am

Lbnaz wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:28 pm
I tried changing bandwidth for tha AC protocal, same results. I then tried N band with each bandwidth selection, same results. At this point I am thinking it is a hardware problem.
What router and firmware are you using?
That's frustrating.

My primary wifi router is an ASUS RT-AC5300. Very good wifi performance and distance, other than that conflict with one of its 5.8GHz radios and my T-Mobile booster. It does have a very annoying issue with not wanting to pass ARP packets (something used for devices to discover each other on a network) through after a while, so I sometimes have to reboot it so that I can connect from one computer in the house to another.

And because of this, I can't have my wireless printer on it, because the computers wouldn't be able to see it after a while. Instead, I have the printer connected to a weaker wifi router in my basement (the ASUS is centrally located on the main level) that also acts as my main firewall, DHCP server, etc.

That router is what is wired to my DSL modem currently and will be wired to my LTE router when I have my system finalized. I have the basement router and the ASUS router connected via a long ethernet cable and the ASUS router is set to just be a wireless bridge to that basement device, so it isn't doing any routing work or other stuff.

Before I had the ASUS router, I used an Amped SR10000 wireless repeater to get the basement wifi repeated to the rest of the house and outside. The only problem with repeaters is that they cut your bandwidth in half (not your internet bandwidth, unless it is faster than half your wifi bandwidth, but your LAN wireless bandwidth). That repeater is only 802.11N on 2.4 GHz too. They make an SR20000G that is dual band, but that wasn't available when I bought my repeater. Nowadays, there are routers with very good wifi performance, so the repeaters aren't needed as much. I might put it in an outdoor enclosure to provide better wifi coverage in my yard. The ASUS does reach out there with 2.4GHz, but it is iffy in some areas.

As for my LTE router, it is a WE1326v5 and it has, GoldenOrb_2019-04-09. It is on my roof in a temporary setup right now, but I was just able to connect to the 5.8GHz radio from my main level, 2 levels directly below it. That would be about 30 feet, with 2 ceilings and a roof that the signal has to go through. If I don't stand directly under it, then the signal is hit or miss.

Maybe check to make sure your antennas are screwed on tight? I suppose there could be a problem with the soldered connections where the wifi antennas connect to the circuit board too. Hard to say what it might be *if* it is a hardware issue.

When you reflashed GoldenOrb, did you tell it to not keep the old settings? That's sometimes important to wipe those out. Do you have a way to connect to the router via ethernet? If so, you could, as a last resort, factory reset it and then flash GoldenOrb onto it. One time during my setup process, mine got in a weird state and I reset it. The login screen came back with chinese words and a button. I clicked the button and it asked for a file, so I gave it the GoldenOrb image file and I was golden (pun intended).

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:16 am

Lbnaz wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:32 pm
xdavidx, Jim
latest testing is done with no other 5G networks around me, It does not matter. This unit stated it can do 5G it should be able to do this. I am struggling with using another router for wireless network when this is supposed to be able to do this.
Yeah, I agree that it should do *some* wifi. There is a difference between not having the best distance/speeds vs not being able to connect and it seems like you can't connect to it at all, whether through 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz.

Lbnaz

Post by Lbnaz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:04 am

xdavidx,
I can connect via 2.4G or hard wire Ethernet no problem. The issue is in some crowded campgrounds 2.4G has so many on it , it will substantially impact my 2.4 G. This is why I want the 5Ghz network.
I have reset router and come up with the Chinese screen where it asked for a file to flash the router twice now. I think the first time I flashed with openwrt factory OEM, The second time I did it I flashed with GoldenOrb_2019-04-09. In both instances the wifi acted the same, I could not connect up to 5ghz network. Interesting on the OEM it did not find the modem. I did not care as I wanted to verify the 5g wifi to see if it would work.
At one point in time I even removed the modem and tried it to see if the modem was affecting the wifi. same results.
The reason I asked about what router you were using is I wanted to know if the WE1326 with the current Golden orb firmware would work on 5G. Thank you for verifying that it does so I can rule this out. I suppose it is worth re flashing from the boot loader again just to make sure. Yes, I do know the keep setting was not checked.
Arrgg.... Hand to Hand combat with this router.

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:48 pm

Are you using the V5 version or pre-V5? If V5, are you using the V5 firmware.

Lbnaz

Post by Lbnaz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Jim,
V5 version.
Thanks

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Lbnaz wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:03 pm
V5 version
I have not heard of this sort of WiFi issue when the V5 firmware is used on the V5 router. I have heard strange WiFi behavior when cross-flashing the wrong firmware onto a router (i.e., Flashing the WG3526 router with the WE3526 firmware).

We just tested one of the V5 routers with the V5 firmware in the link above, and using the default WiFi setting, it was broadcasting both 2.4/5GHz WiFi. Testing both with an android phone and they connected and pulled data with no issue.

I am wondering if somehow you have a pre-V5 router--which is what we plan on returning to.

Have you tired the regular pre-V5 build.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:26 pm

JimHelms wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:50 pm
I am wondering if somehow you have a pre-V5 router--which is what we plan on returning to.
Plan on returning to? Does that mean you'll be selling pre-V5 routers instead of V5? What is the reason for that?