My 4G setup/project

This a discussion place for anything.
swwifty

Re: My 4G setup/project

Post by swwifty » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 am

tonydobbs wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:22 pm
Thank you so much for all the detailed information you've shared! I'm a software developer living in the mountains of CA trying to achieve similar results and am learning a lot from your posts. I currently have a 8dB panel antenna, and am now starting to consider the yagis. Please keep us posted with your latest developments!
Thanks for the feedback! I actually have some updates to post today, that I will in a bit.

Why don't you post a thread with your setup, and some screenshots of your signal status and stuff, so others can weigh in?

I have some interesting data, thoughts on this band 2 specific yagis now.

tonydobbs

Post by tonydobbs » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 am

swwifty wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 am
Thanks for the feedback! I actually have some updates to post today, that I will in a bit.

Why don't you post a thread with your setup, and some screenshots of your signal status and stuff, so others can weigh in?

I have some interesting data, thoughts on this band 2 specific yagis now.
Very excited to see what updates you have in store. I very much look at your project as an inspiration for what is possible. Now that I've had a taste of real high speed internet out in the mountains, I can't help but want more! :D

I posted a more specific thread yesterday and received some helpful advice from Jim, I think later today I'll post a proper thread about my setup. It seems that it might be possible that I am pointing at the wrong tower, yet somehow inexplicably receiving stronger signal from that aiming. I'm considering investing in some better tools to help me find antennas, since that apparently has been one of my bigger challenges so far.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:43 am

tonydobbs wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 am
Very excited to see what updates you have in store. I very much look at your project as an inspiration for what is possible. Now that I've had a taste of real high speed internet out in the mountains, I can't help but want more! :D

I posted a more specific thread yesterday and received some helpful advice from Jim, I think later today I'll post a proper thread about my setup. It seems that it might be possible that I am pointing at the wrong tower, yet somehow inexplicably receiving stronger signal from that aiming. I'm considering investing in some better tools to help me find antennas, since that apparently has been one of my bigger challenges so far.
Great, I saw your post after I posted in here, ooops.

in my opinion, the easiest way to confirm your cell tower, is to drive to the nearest one, and power your router/antenna up, and confirm its the same one.

You can do that with the PCI ID (which you can see in the at!lteinfo command) and the cell ID info in the 'at!gstatus?" command.

That is what I did, to confirm it was the same tower. Also, keep in mind, that different "cells" you see in the at!lteinfo command, can be on the same physical tower, as a cell in LTE is actually one sector antenna/radio on the tower.

tonydobbs

Post by tonydobbs » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 am

swwifty wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:43 am
Great, I saw your post after I posted in here, ooops.

in my opinion, the easiest way to confirm your cell tower, is to drive to the nearest one, and power your router/antenna up, and confirm its the same one.

You can do that with the PCI ID (which you can see in the at!lteinfo command) and the cell ID info in the 'at!gstatus?" command.

That is what I did, to confirm it was the same tower. Also, keep in mind, that different "cells" you see in the at!lteinfo command, can be on the same physical tower, as a cell in LTE is actually one sector antenna/radio on the tower.
Thanks for the great advice, do you think it's safe to run the router off a square wave inverter for this test? I don't have a 12V DC adapter for the router currently.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 pm

tonydobbs wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 am
Thanks for the great advice, do you think it's safe to run the router off a square wave inverter for this test? I don't have a 12V DC adapter for the router currently.
I'm not sure what a square wave inverter is?

Do you not have a 12V DC to AC converter for your car?

tonydobbs

Post by tonydobbs » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:10 pm

swwifty wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 pm
I'm not sure what a square wave inverter is?

Do you not have a 12V DC to AC converter for your car?
A square wave (or modified sine wave) inverter is the type of inverter used in most 12V car to AC inverters. I have heard that they're not the best for sensitive electronics. It's probably fine for this, I'm just cautious.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:27 pm

tonydobbs wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:10 pm
A square wave (or modified sine wave) inverter is the type of inverter used in most 12V car to AC inverters. I have heard that they're not the best for sensitive electronics. It's probably fine for this, I'm just cautious.
oh, right.

yeah probably fine for just a short period of time.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Thought I'd post with some interesting updates.

It dawned on me the other day, that I could probably come up with a test, so to speak for my multipath issues I've been having. My theory was to unlock my modem from band 2 (let it connect to any band), and see if the other bands (I knew this would be band 12) see a similar difference in signal strength. I previously had tested these yagis, unlocked and they connected to band 12, but obviously the signal is much weaker than an antenna that is actually designed for band 12 (the yagis are band 2 specific). I suspected that, band 12, would not see as much of a difference, cause it just wouldn't be experiencing much multipath, or because the wavelength was much longer (coherence distance in multipathing is further with lower frequencies) Anyways, onto a screenshot:
Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 9.05.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 9.05.22 AM.png (59.46 KiB) Viewed 2386 times
As you can see, band 2 was selected as primary (not surprising given these antennas are tuned for band 2) and band 12 as secondary. If you look at the at the RSRP values, you'll see that band 12 values are much closer to each other between the two antennas, while band 2 (the PCC values) are still off by a large value.

Interestingly, this seems to be a really good combination, because I'm getting a little bit faster peak downloads while doing speed tests, and I still get really good uploads. Good uploads happen because the primary antenna and primary band is used for upload (no MIMO happens on upload) and because these antennas are such high gain, it means the cell tower gets a stronger signal from my modem, and subsequently higher modulation, and faster upload speeds (which is really what I want most, because my DSL upload speed is 1.25mbps!)
Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 9.08.44 AM.png
Lastly, the other morning I happened to notice that my modem had been kicked down to WCDMA (I think it could have been due to the poor weather, cause we had some heavy fog and rain that night). I was worried for a second, that the party was up, but I reset the modem and it immediately reconnected to LTE (band 2 & 12 again). I recalled that 'at!selrat' can be used to force LTE only, but in my experience this wasn't the case. Then I recalled that the 'at!band' command has a WCDMA+LTE band limit, or a LTE band limit only. I set it to LTE only in hopes that it won't randomly go back to WCDMA.

tonydobbs

Post by tonydobbs » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Interesting results, this is still using the yagis? I'm surprised that they can perform so well on channel 12. So regarding the multipath issue, are you just going to leave it unlocked or are you going to try to continue experimenting with other solutions?

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:54 am

tonydobbs wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:37 pm
Interesting results, this is still using the yagis? I'm surprised that they can perform so well on channel 12. So regarding the multipath issue, are you just going to leave it unlocked or are you going to try to continue experimenting with other solutions?
This was using the yagis. I was surprised as well, but when i compare them to some wider band antennas (designed for 700mhz-2700mhz) they look pretty bad in terms of performance.

I've found that some dual band antennas can give me close to 100mbps down, so I'm tempted to switch to them. That being said, for now, I'm going to stick to the yagis, cause they still beat everything on upload due to their high gain.

Once the leaves come back out, I might swap them out, but for now I'm going to leave it as is. I also might have figured out one of the factors that is causing my insane multipath. I'll post an update with pics about that soon.