Multiple LTE Modems

This a discussion place for anything.
SliverGT
Has thanked: 0

Re: Multiple LTE Modems

Post by SliverGT » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:20 am

Thanks for the response.
1. A 16 foot cable is not quite long enough to get me inside the house so rain would be an issue for the USB connector. What kind of power cable are you using for the modem?

2. This option would work for me. I wonder how reliable these extension boxes are and how much latency if they add?

3. This option would also work for me. Do you know if this device can be configured in bridge mode to do ip passthrough and avoid a double NAT situation? That's one of the things I don't like about the RPi running GoldenOrb, it doesn't support bridge mode.

BillA

Post by BillA » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:14 pm

SliverGT wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:20 am
Thanks for the response.
1. A 16 foot cable is not quite long enough to get me inside the house so rain would be an issue for the USB connector. What kind of power cable are you using for the modem?

2. This option would work for me. I wonder how reliable these extension boxes are and how much latency if they add?

3. This option would also work for me. Do you know if this device can be configured in bridge mode to do ip passthrough and avoid a double NAT situation? That's one of the things I don't like about the RPi running GoldenOrb, it doesn't support bridge mode.

1. I have 4x 16 foot active usb extension cords daisy chained, and I used self-fusing rubber tape to make the connections both solid and water tight. I just ran a 110V extension cord to the remote modem, and plugged in a 5V 2.5Amp power adapter.

2. Not sure about the usb to ethernet extension's latency, my guess would be probably low as long as you use high quality CAT-6 cable. The advantage of this method is that you could use the ethernet cable for POE purposes at the same time, eliminating the need to run a power cable.

3. Absolutely, that tiny MT300N box can do just about anything, router, bridge, signal extender, and tether a phone or modem to convert its data to either ethernet or WiFi. For additional features you could even reflash the MT300N with OpenWRT or GoldenOrb firmware (it's actually supported). GL-iNet has other similar sized boxes with both 2.4 and 5Ghz WiFi capability, and small stubby antennas for even better and more reliable connection.
And that has actually popped a new idea to mind, having two MT300N's in bridge mode, one at the remote modem, and a second one at the main router connected to its WAN input, you could use it as a regular WiFi bridge eliminating the need for wires altogether, other than the 5-12V power to the modem and the MT300N box. Heck, you could even configure your main router to simply take the WiFi data from the modem though just one MT300N and rebroadcast it in the home.
Hmmm... I might just try that... fun, fun, fun. As far as latency, as long as the two bridge boxes are relatively close, latency should be fairly low, course only testing will tell for sure. ;)

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:20 pm

BillA wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:06 pm
Oh right, you have all your gear up on the roof in an box. Hmmm... so the purpose of putting everything up there is to minimize the RF signal loss in a long coax cable run, but then you could just put the radio modem up there by itself with a long active usb extension cable (though you'll need to run a separate power line for the radio) running into your home where you could have all your router/PI/etc gear nice and warm (lol). The idea behind this setup, is that the less electronics is up in the rooftop box, the less chances of failure, easier access for mods, repairs, and testing purposes. Just a thought. ;)
The point for me having the second modem up there is so I can use the external antennas for both SIM cards (carriers).

I'm not gonna bother with a USB cable, I already ran multiple ethernet cables, and no reason to have the equipment inside. it can operate just fine in the cold or hot!

BillA

Post by BillA » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:48 am

swwifty wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:20 pm
The point for me having the second modem up there is so I can use the external antennas for both SIM cards (carriers).

I'm not gonna bother with a USB cable, I already ran multiple ethernet cables, and no reason to have the equipment inside. it can operate just fine in the cold or hot!

Noone's forcing you to, I just wrote about the options for those who may want to consider it. ;)
The whole idea behind it, is for those who prefer the main router to be inside the home for easier access for testing, tweaking, etc.
I have a question for you, by running a diag command on both the modem and PI/router, have you noticed the temperature dangerously high in a summer heat wave? Cold shouldn't affect much (since electrons love the cold;), but I'm thinking maybe heat could affect/damage some of the delicate electronics, or it has enough ventilation holes?

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:11 am

BillA wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:48 am
Noone's forcing you to, I just wrote about the options for those who may want to consider it. ;)
The whole idea behind it, is for those who prefer the main router to be inside the home for easier access for testing, tweaking, etc.
I have a question for you, by running a diag command on both the modem and PI/router, have you noticed the temperature dangerously high in a summer heat wave? Cold shouldn't affect much (since electrons love the cold;), but I'm thinking maybe heat could affect/damage some of the delicate electronics, or it has enough ventilation holes?
The heat hasn't been an issue here, and it gets up to 90 degrees here outside in the summer.

The modem will get about 150 degrees Fahrenheit, which is still about 30 degrees below its operating specs.

I have no extra holes in the enclosure for ventilation.

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:59 am

BillA wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:48 am
Most all of our equipment is mounted externally in an antenna enclosure, and have been operating that away for years.

We have never had a problem with overheating and we are outside of Dallas where it can be punishing at times. Of course, our antenna enclosures have a lot of room inside where heat buildup is not an issue.

Also, I would not recommend ventilating an enclosure (less using some type of elaborate system). Generally, anywhere heat can exhaust, moisture can enter.

BillA

Post by BillA » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:40 pm

JimHelms wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:59 am
Most all of our equipment is mounted externally in an antenna enclosure, and have been operating that away for years.

We have never had a problem with overheating and we are outside of Dallas where it can be punishing at times. Of course, our antenna enclosures have a lot of room inside where heat buildup is not an issue.

Also, I would not recommend ventilating an enclosure (less using some type of elaborate system). Generally, anywhere heat can exhaust, moisture can enter.

Good to know, my only concern would be a heat wave when it gets above 120 with the trapped heat (Texas/Florida comes to mind;). Guess the white box helps repel the sun's waves somewhat.

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:42 pm

BillA wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:40 pm
Good to know, my only concern would be a heat wave when it gets above 120 (Texas/Florida comes to mind;).
We are jest outside of Dallas, about as close to Texas as one can get.