My 4G setup/project

This a discussion place for anything.
swwifty

Re: My 4G setup/project

Post by swwifty » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:06 pm

I posted over on the Ubiquiti forums a summary of this problem, because, honestly, theres quite a few guys over there and know their RF stuff. Hopefully someone will have an idea.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/The-Loung ... 417#M49707

Also, it recently dawned on me that about 200-300 away almost directly in line with where the signal would be coming from, is a giant structure with a metal roof on my neighbors property. I'm wondering if this is causing the issues?

You can see it circled in red here, with my house at the top, where my antennas are mounted. The green line is a direct line to the cell tower.
multipath sat view.png
multipath sat view.png (183.64 KiB) Viewed 956 times

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Found a really good short read on LOS, that answered some of my questions in this, but still doesn't explain it all:

https://s.campbellsci.com/documents/au/ ... uction.pdf

farmall240

Post by farmall240 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am

swwifty - i'm not sure if this thread is still active/monitored but i've sure learned a heap about cellular data configurations, which is a problem i'm plagued with. A question i keep having come up in my mind when i read through this forum and many others, is that i always see antennas oriented at both level and plumb. I understand why the two orientations are necessary, however i'm curious why they're not oriented at 45 degrees and 135 degrees. I find references in many places that 4G signals are slant polarized. Thought i'd try and learn why my thinking is incorrect.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:12 am

farmall240 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am
swwifty - i'm not sure if this thread is still active/monitored but i've sure learned a heap about cellular data configurations, which is a problem i'm plagued with. A question i keep having come up in my mind when i read through this forum and many others, is that i always see antennas oriented at both level and plumb. I understand why the two orientations are necessary, however i'm curious why they're not oriented at 45 degrees and 135 degrees. I find references in many places that 4G signals are slant polarized. Thought i'd try and learn why my thinking is incorrect.
This thread is still very much active if you have questions :)

I'm assuming by your meaning of antennas that are level and plumb, is antennas that are vertical and horizontal. I can't speak without specific examples, but some 4G antennas are only capable of being mounted in vertical or horizontal positions. Even if the cell tower antennas are mounted +/- 45 degrees this will still work with only a loss of 3db per polarization. The reason you want to match polarization of the cell tower is so you don't lose this 3db, as well as antennas that are mounted +/- 45 degrees are better at penetrating obstructions like trees, etc. This is because most obstacles in the world are either vertical or horizontal. Most are not +/- 45 degrees, so the electromagnetic waves can more easily pass through these obstructions. I did some tests in the past, and the differences are quite noticeable between slant polarization mounted antennas, and vertical/horizontally mounted antennas. And yes, pretty much all LTE tower side antennas are +/-45 degrees polarization it is the industry standard. Hopefully that answers your questions.