Is anyone using T-Mobile Rural with good results?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
HereComesTheRooter

Re: Is anyone using T-Mobile Rural with good results?

Post by HereComesTheRooter » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:27 am

@Springer I'm also in MD, but closer to the PA line. We ditched ADSL earlier this year to go with a MOFI-4500* on T-Mobile's $75/month "unlimited" One plan. It's working OK for us. Where we were only getting 1.5 Mbps on the ADSL line, we're now getting 15-25 Mbps with two 6' Yagi antennas mounted on the roof of the garage. By default, T-Mobile throttles streaming video back to 1.5 Mbps. That means one device connected to the router gets 1.5 Mpbs when streaming, and 2 devices have to split the 1.5 Mbps. However, this is easy 'nuff to get around by using a VPN, or potentially setting the HD option as I just read here:

http://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=32& ... 45429cb117

To get to your question about the data caps though, we live in a very rural area, and we don't seem to be throttled in any way. I'm assuming that may be due to relatively uncongested towers in the area. My household regularly downloads XBox and PC games and updates that are tens of GB, and now we stream video in 1080p often and on multiple devices. Monthly we regularly blow through 300 to 500 GB.

*- I know I made a mistake on the MOFI. I recently discovered this site and the error of my ways. Preparations and research is ongoing now to fix it.

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:19 am

Hello,
Been using T-mobile Myself. Wasn't able to get the best streaming picture. Found a fix in my T-mobile account Settings.
Don't know if this is your issue but could be.
Here is a link to the post written about it.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=579&p=3499#p3499

BillA

Post by BillA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:28 am

Nowadays, there's really no need paying $79 for unlimited un-throttled service, the same exact Tmobile service can be had for less than $45 or less. For those interested in a rundown of the various less expensive options, check out this post > viewtopic.php?p=4592#p4592

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:51 am

Well I am paying $95 for T-Mobile plan unlimited hotspot and HD video streaming. TV picture looks great!
When I look at simple mobile this is what i see.
Simple Mobile.PNG
Simple Mobile.PNG (50.26 KiB) Viewed 106 times
How do you get around the 480p streaming?

BillA

Post by BillA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:47 am

gscheb wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:51 am
Well I am paying $95 for T-Mobile plan unlimited hotspot and HD video streaming. TV picture looks great!
When I look at simple mobile this is what i see.
How do you get around the 480p streaming?

Normally this plan doesn't work for tethering (it's blocked), but using an OpenWRT router and setting the TTL to 65, it makes it work just fine. They use the Tmobile network, and at my location I get an average speeds of around 100Mbps down, 50Mbps up, course your mileage may vary due to location, equipment, and other factors.

There are two methods to bypass the 480p video restriction.
I used to be able to text the code "DataOpt" to 611611 then enter 2 as a response, but lately it doesn't seem to work, or maybe it's just my account.
Anyway, the second method is using a regular proxy which works perfectly regardless of method one.
Here's more info about the proxy method > viewtopic.php?p=4706#p4706

You can buy a sim card and activate it at your local SimpleMobile dealer (https://www.simplemobile.com/findastore).
They just fool you online with that $45 auto-pay price, after adding a bunch of taxes it comes out to over $50.
Since my credit card got stolen twice already on their website, and even got double billed, I'm only paying by cash. Dealers usually charge a flat $50 cash, and you can even prepay multiple months ahead if you wish. Best of all, it keeps your account completely anonymous (dealers don't ask for your info;). There's no contract, so if it doesn't work you can always try something else.