PSA: AT&T Doing away with $35 iPad Unlimited.

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
afrey1982
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: PSA: AT&T Doing away with $35 iPad Unlimited.

Post by afrey1982 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:31 pm

BillA wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:29 pm
Well, there are some weird things going on with the GPS in many networks, sometimes it shows that I'm in Mexico when I'm clearly in the US. I made a post about that on how to fix it:
viewtopic.php?p=6361#p6361
The incorrect location could be causing both your data and especially PlayStore not working (since there's a region lock Google enforces).
So i replaced the charging port in my laptop today and had to shut it down. Tried connecting to the phones hotspot tonight and it works. I am assuming the problem was me not rebooting the laptop after the CMD settings. I have 3 routers here with goldenorb and it wont work with any of them. Tried the hotpot manager. Usb tether and sim card in the we826. All settings have been checked and are correct. Its like the ttl settings doesn't work in the routers.. But at least we know for sure the ttl settings in the laptop are doing the trick. Any help here is much appreciated.

BillA

Post by BillA » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 pm

afrey1982 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:31 pm
So i replaced the charging port in my laptop today and had to shut it down. Tried connecting to the phones hotspot tonight and it works. I am assuming the problem was me not rebooting the laptop after the CMD settings. I have 3 routers here with goldenorb and it wont work with any of them. Tried the hotpot manager. Usb tether and sim card in the we826. All settings have been checked and are correct. Its like the ttl settings doesn't work in the routers.. But at least we know for sure the ttl settings in the laptop are doing the trick. Any help here is much appreciated.

They could be blocking the modem on the network.
Try connecting your phone to the router via usb cable. First disable or remove the internal modem, then once the phone is connected, go to Settings > Mobile/Wireless > Hotspot/USB Tethering and turn on USB Tethering.
In the router's settings select the USB tethered modem as your internet connection, set the TTL to 65, reboot both the phone and router for good measure then try it again.

afrey1982
Been thanked: 0

Post by afrey1982 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:48 pm

BillA wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 pm
They could be blocking the modem on the network.
Try connecting your phone to the router via usb cable. First disable or remove the internal modem, then once the phone is connected, go to Settings > Mobile/Wireless > Hotspot/USB Tethering and turn on USB Tethering.
In the router's settings select the USB tethered modem as your internet connection, set the TTL to 65, reboot both the phone and router for good measure then try it again.
Already tried all that. I have been using rooter firmware and lte devices for years and am pretty familiar with them. When i first activated this sim it was in the we826, we were watching netflix and i had the simple mobile account pulled up and every time i refreshed the data i could see the hotspot usage going up. As soon as it hit 5gb it shut off. TTL was set at 65. Not sure what you mean by they could be blocking the modem? I have other routers without modems that all work perfect with usb tether and wifi hotspot manager. Just not with simple mobile. All leads to ttl not working in rooter firmware. Works fine on a pc with the CMD settings. For a test i just connected the phone hotspot to my sons PC and no go, i then did the CMD settings and restarted, works perfect !

BillA

Post by BillA » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:06 pm

afrey1982 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:48 pm
Already tried all that. I have been using rooter firmware and lte devices for years and am pretty familiar with them. When i first activated this sim it was in the we826, we were watching netflix and i had the simple mobile account pulled up and every time i refreshed the data i could see the hotspot usage going up. As soon as it hit 5gb it shut off. TTL was set at 65. Not sure what you mean by they could be blocking the modem? I have other routers without modems that all work perfect with usb tether and wifi hotspot manager. Just not with simple mobile. All leads to ttl not working in rooter firmware. Works fine on a pc with the CMD settings. For a test i just connected the phone hotspot to my sons PC and no go, i then did the CMD settings and restarted, works perfect !

Gotya, I thought the modem's imei was being blocked like on ATT prepaid.
Never mind, it's clearly the hostpot being used up, though a bit puzzling since you have the TTL set correctly.
As a test try all these TTL settings 63, 64, 65, 66, 117.
Make sure press Save/Apply after each change, and restart the router.
The reason I was suggesting to connect the phone to the router, is to bypass the restriction.

There's a workaround which involves setting the modem to PPP dial-up instead of the usual RMNET/RNDIS connection in the router. For Tmobile, the dial string is *99#, and the APN is "fast.t-mobile.com". A PPP connection bypasses any restrictions regardless of TTL settings. You can also try this with the phone connected to the pc, and you have to set up a new dial-up connection using the above parameters. Also the phone must be set to expose its COM ports (usb modem ports) by enabling ADB debugging (it's beyond the scope of this post, just search for it).

First try the above then this:
Under Network > Firewall > Custom Rules, copy and paste the following rules by overwriting any existing TTL rules.
Make sure press Save/Apply after every change, and restart the router.

iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65

OR

ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65

OR

iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65

For good measure, try these DNS settings (it won't hurt in any case):
On WAN1 uncheck "Use builtin IPv6-management" and "Use DNS servers advertised by peer", then set the DNS to 8.8.8.8/9.9.9.9.9

shwaba

Post by shwaba » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:07 am

BillA wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:10 pm

Verizon based PagePlus $55/mo, 40Mbps speeds, 50ms latency, deprioritized during congestion
Anyone have experience with this plan?

On their website "At 60 GB, we reserve the right to review your account for usage in violation of Page Plus's terms and conditions."

My options are ATT or Verizon. Tmobile is very limited in my area.

Both of my Ipad plans at ATT are still functioning for now. Just being proactive since the Wifey is working from home for the next month. Thanks for any advice

BillA

Post by BillA » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:21 am

shwaba wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:07 am
Anyone have experience with this plan?

On their website "At 60 GB, we reserve the right to review your account for usage in violation of Page Plus's terms and conditions."

My options are ATT or Verizon. Tmobile is very limited in my area.

Both of my Ipad plans at ATT are still functioning for now. Just being proactive since the Wifey is working from home for the next month. Thanks for any advice

Just like every other company, they all put up some kind of disclaimer, but usually you won't notice any throttling unless the network is really congested (which could last from just a few seconds to minutes or hours). It really depends on your local towers at peak usage times of the day. It's just the nature of 4G-LTE mobile data, till 5G gets more widespread.

Twoods196

Post by Twoods196 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:10 am

Has anyone's att iPad plan with autopay stopped working? Yesterday mine just stopped working. The signal is showing zero, I've done a ton of different things trying to get it to work. I also can not login to the att iPad plan but it's been doing that for awhile saying I need to login from a different place. I took the sim card out an put it in a phone an couldn't get it to work either. Even forced it to LTE only an the first time I forced it onto it, it worked for about 5 seconds an then quit. Can anyone confirm the apn you use for a cellphone, or anything you have to do on a cellphone to make it work. Just wanna make sure it's the account an not the router/modem. Thanks

thejohnfist

Post by thejohnfist » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 am

My Autopay Prepaid iPad plan is still working currently. I don't think they've cut anyone off mid billing period yet. Usually if it keeps renewing you may be safe.

My guess is they have a threshold for data usage and if you pass that it's game over.

shwaba

Post by shwaba » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:17 pm

thejohnfist wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 am
My guess is they have a threshold for data usage and if you pass that it's game over.
A reseller told me if you exceed 700GB in a 30 day cycle they'll terminate the service. Take that for what it's worth.
One of my accounts is up for renewal and it will be around 400GB so we shall see if it's game over for that one or not...

thejohnfist

Post by thejohnfist » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:16 pm

I'm usually between 150gb and 250gb. Rarely over that. So here's hoping it's not below 400gb.