Cabling recommendations for 25' dual runs from modem to LTE antenna

Topics related to WiFi Antennas
rwidebrook

Cabling recommendations for 25' dual runs from modem to LTE antenna

Post by rwidebrook » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:19 pm

Hi everyone. I've got my first build/use of "fixed wireless internet" equipment, namely the WE826-T2 + MC7455 in stock form. My question here involves choosing a 50 ohm cable for a proposed 25' run from modem to rooftop LTE antenna. I'd like to hear your experiences and recommendations.

I get "just fair" 4~5Mps download speed in a Sprint fringe/roaming zone, by optimizing placement of the modem and its standard 3dB rubber antennae. The modem usually is operating on Band B41, with "not bad" at!gstatus? results, so a good antenna+cable setup seems a natural next step.

25 feet isn't such a long run, but I'd like to balance my choice of a suitable low-loss cable between performance and price. I'm leaning toward 5D-FB or LMR-240 due to their good attenuation specifications. I've eliminated RG-58 and RG-174 as being lower performance, and LRM400 as being overkill. Here's one interest: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JP ... SQKY&psc=1

What experiences and recommendations do you have?
Thanks, Rick

swwifty

Re: Cabling recommendations for 25' dual runs from modem to LTE antenna

Post by swwifty » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:36 pm

You most definitely don't want to skimp on cheap cable. Especially if you are going through all the effort of running it to the roof.

I did some quick calculations and on Band 41 (2500mhz) LMR 400 only loses about 2db of signal for 25ft.

That 5D-FB (which i've never heard of) best I can find loses about 3db of signal for 25ft. I'm not 100% sure that is right, but it's what i found online.

I'd go with LMR400. I have two 10ft runs of it on my roof and don't regret the extra expense after all the work I went through to get it up there.