Indoor antenna readings on a Netgear Nighthawk M1

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
xdavidx

Re: Indoor antenna readings on a Netgear Nighthawk M1

Post by xdavidx » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:17 pm

easternnc4me wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:09 pm
I *think* I understand most of that...lol.
There are a lot of devils in the details, unfortunately. :lol:
easternnc4me wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:09 pm
In my prior reading of other forums it seems a lot of people ran theirs through a router to push the signal out further. Several people recommended the TP Link Arch C7 version 2. I ordered one a couple of weeks ago. One reason I have pursued that route (aside from not knowing how to set it. Would have to read up on it) is that, as I would carry it on vacation at times, I didn't know how much of a hassle it would be to reset it back up as a hotspot, then set it back up when I get home. Decisions decisions.
You said you did order one, but you aren't sure how to set it up? Or you didn't order one yet? How would you get a V2, since that is an older model?

As for bringing the M1 on vacation, you would just unplug the ethernet cable between it and the wifi router. What needs to be re-configured depends on how you would have things set up.

I believe to use the M1 with another router, you have to use the IP Passthrough mode on the M1. And when you do this, it automatically disables wifi on the M1. So before you disconnect it at home, it seems like you would just go into the M1 web UI and turn off IP Passthrough and you'd be back in business with using the M1 stand-alone on vacation.

If you use the DHCP server in the M1 to get IP addresses for your devices at home, then you wouldn't have to change that setting, but it would need to be disabled in the wifi router. If you want to use the DHCP server in the wifi router, then you would disable the DHCP server in the M1 (just a toggle switch in the UI) and then when you go on vacation, you would re-check that and disable IP Passthrough and you should be in business.

Not sure if you know what DHCP is. It is what gives the devices on your network their IP addresses automatically. You want only one DHCP server running at a time or else they can give the same IP addresses to different devices and you'll end up with a really flaky network that doesn't work properly. :x

The reason you might want to use DHCP on the wifi router is because it will allow more control over the simply DHCP server offered on the M1. You may not need the advanced features, but that's one reason. The other reason is that I believe the M1 only supports 20 wifi connections. I don't know if they implement that in the wifi software or if they implement that through the dhcp server only giving out 20 IP addresses. If it is the latter, and if you were going to have more than 20 devices on your home network, then that would be another reason to use the DHCP server of the wifi router instead of on the M1.

In general, the idea is to use the M1 for as little as possible and the wifi router for everything else (firewall, DHCP, wifi, etc.). Then the M1 can focus on the LTE data coming and going and sending that out the ethernet port to the other router.

I google around a bit for some of that info up there. One thing I came across is if you disable the wifi on the M1 (meaning what your friend did), when you re-enable it, it changes the SSID (the name you see when you pick the wifi to connect to in your phone or other devices) back to the default value. I don't know if it would do that with the IP Passthrough situation that automatically disables the wifi. I would hope it wouldn't, but don't know for sure. If it did, you would either have to get used to the default names when on vacation, or you would need to change the names after re-enabling the IP Passthrough.

I would really hope they wouldn't change the names back to default when you switch back from using IP Passthrough, but I would have hoped they wouldn't have lost the names if you manually disable the radios too! :lol: And, for all I know, that issue might have been fixed in a future firmware release. I don't have one, so I can't test it. I do know that they have fixed a lot of bugs in the M1 with newer firmware releases.

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:56 am

I ordered a working v2 off of Ebay after watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1RJsYymGg

Seems straight-forward enough. Haven't pursued it yet. Next full day off I think I'll try to tackle it.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:49 am

I see why you ordered that one. Ben Lewis *really* likes his. :lol:

I don't know what would be special about that particular router. Maybe it uses a different default subnet. It might automatically change some of its settings when you change the address, as shown in the video.

The tips for disabling ethernet standby and removing the battery are good ones. Ethernet standby will put the ethernet port to sleep when inactive and you have to tap the power button on the m1 or power cycle it. Disabling it avoids that issue. I have seen the recommendation before to remove the battery if it will be used plugged into power continuously. My guess is that their charging circuit isn't smart enough to stop charging when the battery is full. If you want battery power for the m1 on vacation, you would have to remember to put it back in.

The Archer should work fine as a wifi router. It should have better range than the m1's wifi.

gedster314

Post by gedster314 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:50 pm

New to site or at least don't come hear enough to know what's been posted about M1. Here is something that helped me a lot. I had slow speeds because of over crowding. Locking my M1 to band 14 helped a lot for my area. This link tells you how to manually select bands. Sorry if it has been linked to before.

https://mt-tech.fi/en/enable-manual-ban ... ar-mr1100/
These users thanked the author gedster314 for the post:
JimHelms (Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:50 am)

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am

@gedster314: When I was going to buy an M1, I was planning to try that process for band locking. I wasn't sure if it would work on an American M1 model or if there would be an unknown password required. Is yours an American model?

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:01 pm

easternnc4me wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:56 am
I ordered a working v2 off of Ebay after watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1RJsYymGg

Seems straight-forward enough. Haven't pursued it yet. Next full day off I think I'll try to tackle it.
Any luck with the V2 and with finding new towers for the Nighthawk?