Indoor antenna readings on a Netgear Nighthawk M1

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
xdavidx

Re: Indoor antenna readings on a Netgear Nighthawk M1

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:17 pm

easternnc4me wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Just read your comment regarding turning off wifi while tethered. Will rerun test. As for high gain antennas, the only higher one is the Eastwood. Will rerun the test with Netgear with wifi turned off. Then switch antennas.
Turning off wifi while tethered may affect speed tests, but not affect stats from at!gstatus?. Right now we are just trying to find a location and antenna combo that gives us more bands.

I doubt you will get different results between the m1 omnis and the eastwood, but you can try. They both seem to get you the same RSRP values. Of course, that is on band 12. Maybe the eastwood will be better on secondary bands.

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:21 pm

Eastwood antenna connected. This one is without running a speed test.
Attachments
Telnet7.png

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Eastwood antenna while running a speed test.
Attachments
Telnet8.png

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:27 pm

xdavidx wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:17 pm
Turning off wifi while tethered may affect speed tests, but not affect stats from at!gstatus?. Right now we are just trying to find a location and antenna combo that gives us more bands.

I doubt you will get different results between the m1 omnis and the eastwood, but you can try. They both seem to get you the same RSRP values. Of course, that is on band 12. Maybe the eastwood will be better on secondary bands.
I mentioned earlier that some guided me in setting my hot spot up for better connection. Of course all that is relative. I do know that it is on 2.4Ghz only. He mentioned something about taking advantage of LAA. Again I am new to this and know nothing about it. Seeing interne speeds that other people are getting it peaked my interest to see if I can get better speeds out of it.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Eastwood setup is getting you a signal strength about twice as good as the M1 external omnis (every 3 dBi is a doubling), but they still aren't getting you more bands. Need to get outside to see if other bands are reachable/available.

Under optimal conditions, in the middle of the night, you might get 30-40 mbps from that 10 MHz of Band 12 at that distance. But if you could add on another band that has 10 MHz, then you could get 30-40 during the day and twice that at night. Add on a 3rd, and you could get 3 times your current speeds and that much more at night. 4 bands would give you more and would be your limits for number of bands with the M1's modem. If you can get a 15 MHz or 20 MHz band in the mix, even better.

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:38 pm

xdavidx wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:34 pm
Eastwood setup is getting you a signal strength about twice as good as the M1 external omnis (every 3 dBi is a doubling), but they still aren't getting you more bands. Need to get outside to see if other bands are reachable/available.

Under optimal conditions, in the middle of the night, you might get 30-40 mbps from that 10 MHz of Band 12 at that distance. But if you could add on another band that has 10 MHz, then you could get 30-40 during the day and twice that at night. Add on a 3rd, and you could get 3 times your current speeds and that much more at night. 4 bands would give you more and would be your limits for number of bands with the M1's modem. If you can get a 15 MHz or 20 MHz band in the mix, even better.
Best I ever got was 35Mbps about 5:00am one morning. I'll take the laptop and go outside to experiment. I'm thinking, as it is not a highly populated area, that the towers around here at not the latest and greatest. Stupid question, but if it does pick up more bands will it be listed beside B12 in telnet?

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:45 pm

easternnc4me wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:27 pm
I mentioned earlier that some guided me in setting my hot spot up for better connection. Of course all that is relative. I do know that it is on 2.4Ghz only. He mentioned something about taking advantage of LAA. Again I am new to this and know nothing about it. Seeing interne speeds that other people are getting it peaked my interest to see if I can get better speeds out of it.
Do you mean he disabled the 5.8GHz wifi radio? That may limit how fast you can talk to the router over wifi, as you can only use 802.11n over 2.4GHz, not 802.11ac. And you also get less bandwidth on 2.4GHz with N than N on 5.8 GHz. But 5.8 GHz wifi being disabled shouldn't negatively affect which bands you get over LTE. If anything, it will allow you to pick up LTE being broadcast in the 5GHz range. But for that to work, you would need to be very close to the transmitter.

Right now your best chance for improved daytime speeds is to get more bands to connect to. And your best chance to do that, without a directional antenna, is to try the omnis outside.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:51 pm

easternnc4me wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:38 pm
Best I ever got was 35Mbps about 5:00am one morning. I'll take the laptop and go outside to experiment. I'm thinking, as it is not a highly populated area, that the towers around here at not the latest and greatest. Stupid question, but if it does pick up more bands will it be listed beside B12 in telnet?
That sounds right for 5 am. So band 12 on that tower is congested during the day and/or you have interference from other towers.

They might be behind the times in one way or another. Their connection to the internet might be limited. AT&T may be limited on what bands it can use in your geographic location too.

Yes, if the modem can connect to other bands during a speed test, the at!gstatus? command should list them in other blocks of stats below the first set, if the command is run during a speed test.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Sometimes it helps to visualize this stuff in a more every day way. What we have right now is a single lane highway with some vehicles in front of you, slowing your single semi down from delivering goods. Get more bands and you get more lanes, on which you can drive other semis, at the same time, so you can deliver more goods to your destination in a given period of time. Even if other vehicles are slowing down each semi, your total delivery increases.

At night, the roads are clear and you can drive faster in one lane, but can get even more goods transported faster if you use multiple semis in multiple lanes.

If you use the omnis outside, you *might* get connected to a different tower with different bands too. Try different sides of the house. Each tower is a different road with different sizes and numbers of lanes.

Directional antennas may increase your signal strength to the same tower your omnis are connected to and allow you to get more bands from that tower. Alternatively, pointing them in other directions may allow you to connect to other towers, even if omnis won't allow that from the same exact location. The omnis are most likely connecting to the tower with the strongest signal. Strongest signal doesn't always mean fastest data transfer speeds though, especially when it comes to carrier aggregation (using multiple bands concurrently).

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Just tried it in 5 different locations. One of them was outside on the second story balcony of my sisters house (she lives behind me). Tried between her house and mine, my back yard, front yard and beside the house. Same result with all of them. Band 12. At least I know to use the Eastwood antenna instead of the Netgear. Will using ONE yagi directional antenna improve speeds?I understand I would have to locate the best cell tower that might be further away. Again, this will not be my permanent internet. More of a back up and for use on vacations. But if it will improve speeds I can make a short stand to mount it on to use it inside. Something like this: https://ltefix.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... l-antenna/