Indoor antenna readings on a Netgear Nighthawk M1

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
easternnc4me

Re: Indoor antenna readings on a Netgear Nighthawk M1

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:45 pm

Connected via USB. I should mention that the antenna was NOT connected for either of these test. I unhooked it to bring the hot spot to the PC. Here is the result while running a speed test.
Attachments
telnet2.png

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:48 pm

You'll want either the M1 omnis or the 2 in 1 omni connected during the tests.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:58 pm

We'll want to make sure the pc is getting its internet connection via usb rather than wifi. There is a setting in the M1 to disable wifi when tethered. Try looking in settings->setup->mobile router setup and check the turn of wifi when tethering checkbox.

Alternatively, you could use ethernet and disable the wifi adapter in windows while connected via ethernet.

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:03 pm

Ok. Redone with Netgear Mimo antenna connected. Showing 3 bars (gets 4 in the window). I know bars mean little relatively speaking and a good connection with 2 bars is better than a bad connection with 4 bars. Just wanted to mention it. First one is without performing speed test. Second one is while performing speed test.
Attachments
telnet3.png

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:04 pm

Check while running speed test.
Attachments
telnet4.png

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:06 pm

As for Band 12, you are picking that up even without antennas plugged in, because it is the lowest frequency band (700 MHz range) and lower frequencies penetrate walls better than higher frequencies. Higher frequencies may be too attenuated by the time they get inside the house for the internal antennas in the M1 to pick them up. Even with the external antennas, the higher frequencies may be too weak. Alternatively, the tower you are locked onto may only have B12 or may not be giving you extra bands for other reasons.

We'll see what we've got once the higher gain antennas are tested.

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Just read your comment regarding turning off wifi while tethered. Will rerun test. As for high gain antennas, the only higher one is the Eastwood. Will rerun the test with Netgear with wifi turned off. Then switch antennas.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Well, we are only getting Band 12. No carrier aggregation, which is one of the key benefits of the M1, since it can aggregate up to 4 bands for download.

You can try:

a) The nighthawk outside, with external omnis, and connected via wifi to the pc (if it will let you telnet to port 5510 over wifi).

b) Same as (a), but with a laptop or the pc connected over ethernet or usb also outside.

c) Same as (a), but with the phone tethered to the M1 over usb and telnetting from the phone to the M1. Not sure how to configure the phone to use the USB connection for internet instead of wifi. Assuming android will pop up something asking if you want that.

d) Same as one of the above, but with the M1 by the window. Might pick up something through the window, but outside is better.

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:14 pm

Ok. Netgear antenna connected. Wifi off while tethered check. Let's run it again.
Attachments
telnet5.png

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:15 pm

And checked while running a speed test.
Attachments
Telnet6.png