Indoor antenna readings on a Netgear Nighthawk M1

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
easternnc4me

Indoor antenna readings on a Netgear Nighthawk M1

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:04 am

New to the forum. Let me say that I am new to this and I'm trying to learn more. My hot spot will NOT be my primary means of internet and therefore I did not want to install out door antennas. Having said that, I would not be opposed having a make shift setup inside that incorporates an outside antenna. Please feel free to offer any input. Again, I'm trying to learn more about this. Here are my results.

Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 AT&T hot spot antenna results:

No antenna:
Signal strength fair (2 bars)
RSRP= -105dBm
RSRQ= -11dBm
RS-SINR= 0dBm
Current band= LTEB12
Quality= 47dBm
Ookla speed test= 19.25/1.59, 19.30/1.54, 18.80/1.56

Netgear Mimo antenna
Signal strength= good (4 bars)
RSRP= -92dBm
RSRQ= -13dBm
RS-SINR= 0dBm
Current band= LTEB12
Quality= 58dBm
Ookla speed test= 19.22/1.63, 18.31/1.70, 18.94/1.63

Eightwood 35dBi 4G LTE Antenna Dual TS9 Male Connector
Signal strength= good (4 bars)
RSRP= -92dBm
RSRQ -74dBm
RS-SINR= 0dBm
Current band= LTEB12
Quality= 60dBm
Ookla speed test= 18.63/1.59, 18.77/1.59, 19.23/1.39

SMA 4G LTE Antenna, 2x9 dBi High Gain Antenna with SMA Female Plug to TS9 Male Plug RF Coax Connector Adapter (These adapters are junk in my opinion. They do not fit snuggly into the M1 TS9 port causing the antennas to flop around.)

Signal strength= Fair
RSRP= -94dBm
RSRQ= -11dBm
RS-SINR= 0dBm
Current band= LTEB12
Quality= 56dBm
Ookla speed test= 16.08/1.64, 7.64/1.68, 15.76/1.57

Speed test checked using a desktop computer with wifi. Speeds noted to be a little faster on downloads and considerably faster on uploads using a cell phone during speed test.
I notice that it is always on band 12. From my reading, I believe this is one of the slower bands.

easternnc4me

Re: Indoor antenna readings on a Netgear Nighthawk M1

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:43 am

I should mention that someone helped my set up my hot spot. Some of the settings were changed. For instance 2.4Ghz only was selected (to take advantage of LAA?). Range is set to Long. I'd have to sign in to the hot spot to see what the other settings are.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:15 am

Hello and welcome!

I'd be happy to take a look.

Connect to the device using telnet. IP: 192.168.1.1. Port: 5510. Then use AT command "at!gstatus?" (without the quotes) and post the results captured while you are running a speed test and when you are not running a speed test. The first will show all the different bands you are connected to when it is doing carrier aggregation and the second will show just the primary band, but the quality stats will be more accurate when it isn't transferring data.

That command will also provide information about which tower you are connected to so that we can see if that is changing from one test to another, which needs to be taken into account. And to that point, make sure that the speed tests posted for a set of modem stats match the modem stats. By that, I mean that the speed tests were taken around the same time as the modem stats and that the tower connected to during the speed tests is the same for each test. There are a lot of variables involved in analyzing this stuff. :lol:

The above connection may not work over wifi or ethernet. There is a good chance you'll have to connect it to your computer via USB for the command to work. If you have questions, feel free to ask. I don't have an M1, but I did a lot of research into them before buying something else, so I'm familiar with them to some degree.

At first glance, the netgear MIMO antennas and the Eightwood dual MIMO antenna seem to give the best results from the LTE stats, however, something is really weird with the RSRQ of -74 for the Eightwood result. Maybe it was just a temporary thing. That's another thing. You'll want to run stats and speed tests multiple times and see if things are jumping around a lot. If they are, then it is harder to make sense of the results, but you'll want to mention it if posting stats/results. If they are not jumping around, then it is easier. I really like how you gave 3 speed tests for each antenna configuration. That's the way to do it.

Do you have a link for the high gain antennas to see which ones they are? The results are variable. Sounds like you've got a good idea about the connections being poor. Either way, the signal strength is a little below the other two high performers.

Your quality is poor, so that's most likely the problem and it most likely isn't due to signal strength, which looks fine. Poor quality could be due to congestion for the tower you are connected to or interference from other towers operating on the same frequencies or noise from the environment. With more stats, we can possibly narrow it down and go from there. We'll also be able to see how many bands your getting, and how much bandwidth from each, which is another very big variable when it comes to maximizing speeds.

I would recommend connecting the desktop computer over ethernet instead of wifi and making sure no other devices are connected over wifi to the hotspot during testing. Connect to the M1's web interface with a browser. On the dashboard screen, in the lower right, you will see a section showing which other devices are connected via wifi, ethernet or USB. You want to make sure your test machine is the only one connected. The reason for ethernet over wifi is just because wifi introduces another set of variables. Once you have everything working the way you want it from the LTE perspective, then the wifi of the device can be used for regular internet access. If there are slowdowns, that can be diagnosed separate from the LTE side of things.

When you say you are using a cell phone for some tests, is that over wifi to the router or with the cell phone using an LTE connection to the towers, bypassing the M1?

Are you on an AT&T unlimited iPad plan or is it some other type of plan? If it is an iPad plan, are you below or over your 22 GB quota for this cycle?

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:30 am

Also, noting the time of day of the tests helps as well. Try running them during the day, during the evening (somewhere between 6 to 9 PM) and, if you are able, at about 2 AM.

If you don't want to get up at 2 AM, you can schedule it with a tool like this: https://testmy.net/auto

Set it to run both download and upload tests ever 30 minutes for 50 times. That will cover more than a whole day period. Or you could set it to run every 5 or 10 minutes for 50 times before you go to bed and that will give you a lot of good middle of night results.

If you get faster speeds at night, then tower congestion or interference is a good suspect for slower daytime speeds.

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Hi xdavidx. Thank you for your help. I didn't post the links to the antennas I purchased as I didn't know if it was allowed. Here are the ones I purchased:
Netgear= https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-6000450- ... way&sr=8-2

Eightwood= https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF ... UTF8&psc=1

SMA 4G= https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF ... UTF8&psc=1
SMA Female plug to go with the SMA 4g= https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VL ... UTF8&psc=1

For the cell phone speed test I was standing within 10 feet of the hot spot. Uploads are always faster on the cell phone. For instance I literally just did a speed check using my cell phone while connected to the hot spot and got 18.8/18.5 using Ookla Using Open Signal I get 25.88/15.65. Speaking of using Open Signal, it seems my signal keeps switching between 2 towers as indicated by the arrow. I am using the AT&T unlimited plan. Looking over the info it seems I am stuck on band 12 which, from my limited reading and understanding, is a slower band. I'll try to get the hot spot connected to the computer and run the command you mentions.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:59 pm

So you are getting those results on the phone when connected over wifi from the phone to the M1?

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:16 pm

xdavidx wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:59 pm
So you are getting those results on the phone when connected over wifi from the phone to the M1?
Yes sir. Just tried using Putty (for the first time. Like I mentioned, I am new at this) to connect via Telnet. Keep getting "Network error. Connection timed out." Tried it with USB connected and ethernet cable.

easternnc4me

Post by easternnc4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:27 pm

Got it. Operator error of course.
Attachments
Telnet.png

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:32 pm

easternnc4me wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:16 pm
Yes sir. Just tried using Putty (for the first time. Like I mentioned, I am new at this) to connect via Telnet. Keep getting "Network error. Connection timed out." Tried it with USB connected and ethernet cable.
Faster wifi on the phone vs the pc, over the same internet source, would seem to indicate either a difference in wifi hardware/config on the clients or the pc and phone are in different locations and distance is a factor.

Did you enter port 5510 for telnet in putty?

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:36 pm

easternnc4me wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:27 pm
Got it. Operator error of course.
Ah, glad you got connected. Was that over USB or ethernet?

Now do the same thing while running a speed test so that we can see the other bands it is using for carrier aggregation.