26 dBi ultra wide-band parabolic grid antenna

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
xdavidx

Re: 26 dBi ultra wide-band parabolic grid antenna

Post by xdavidx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:21 pm

swwifty wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:14 pm
oh, but the PCC wasn't Band 12, right?
Nope. I've never gotten that. I haven't tried blocking all bands except 12, though. That might do it.

But that's not my goal. I just want Band 12 or 66 as a 3rd carrier, to go along with Band 2 and 30, or along with Band 2 and 4 on another tower.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:34 pm

xdavidx wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:21 pm
Nope. I've never gotten that. I haven't tried blocking all bands except 12, though. That might do it.

But that's not my goal. I just want Band 12 or 66 as a 3rd carrier, to go along with Band 2 and 30, or along with Band 2 and 4 on another tower.
Gotcha that makes more sense. I thought earlier you were saying that band 12 was a PCC when you were closer to the tower.

Sorry I'm trying to do too much right now, lol, working 2 full time jobs.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:40 pm

swwifty wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:34 pm
Gotcha that makes more sense. I thought earlier you were saying that band 12 was a PCC when you were closer to the tower.
No, I generally get Band 2 or Band 66 as primary. I do have one tower where my notes show a possibly Band 12 as primary, but I could have written that down in the wrong order.
swwifty wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:34 pm
Sorry I'm trying to do too much right now, lol, working 2 full time jobs.
I'm sure that WISP is a *lot* of work. Hopefully a fun type of work.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:09 pm

xdavidx wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:40 pm
I'm sure that WISP is a *lot* of work. Hopefully a fun type of work.
Yeah it is. Hopefully it'll be a bit more fun once I start building out the network and hook up customers who are going to be thrilled.

Right now it's a lot of business planning. Although, I am looking forward to doing some long range testing with a few various potential radios I'll be using this weekend.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:15 pm

swwifty wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:09 pm
Yeah it is. Hopefully it'll be a bit more fun once I start building out the network and hook up customers who are going to be thrilled.
Customers are a nice thing for a business to have! :lol:
swwifty wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:09 pm
Right now it's a lot of business planning. Although, I am looking forward to doing some long range testing with a few various potential radios I'll be using this weekend.
I bet.

So are these towers owned by the cellular companies? The rates they charge for antenna space must be pretty reasonable to not put you in the red?

How many wireless hops do you have to take to get from the fiber up to the first distribution node?

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:27 pm

xdavidx wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:15 pm
Customers are a nice thing for a business to have! :lol:

I bet.

So are these towers owned by the cellular companies? The rates they charge for antenna space must be pretty reasonable to not put you in the red?

How many wireless hops do you have to take to get from the fiber up to the first distribution node?
Yes, customers are good lol. I'm just making sure there is an actual customer base before I build out a network.

The towers typically aren't owned by cellular companies despite common believe. Most cell towers in the states are owned by two companies. Crown Castle and American Tower. The rates are not too expensive to make it prohibitive, if you have a customer base before you build out :) or you're just rich and like throwing money away.

Only one wireless hop is needed to get to the first tower that can serve customers. It's not uncommon though for WISPs to have 4-5+ hops between the tower you as a customer connect to, and their core network.

We probably should create another thread to discuss this, and not hi-jack this thread anymore :)

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:39 pm

swwifty wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:27 pm
We probably should create another thread to discuss this, and not hi-jack this thread anymore :)
Go for it! Interesting topic! :D

Need4Speed

Post by Need4Speed » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:45 am

Great read along in this topic! Seeing the results this guy pulled sold me right away on these parabolic grid antennas. https://youtu.be/xzqkoPL9t9A

I'm ~7 miles from my tower and knew I'd need highest gain possible. Also since it covers 600-6k it's pretty much universal in the event I'd ever want to switch carriers or towers were upgraded/changed.

The biggest drawback is the price. Not many people are willing to drop 360 on two antennas.

Need4Speed

Post by Need4Speed » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Just got 2 of these(bolton technical ultragain 26) in the mail yesterday, assembled, and pole mounted. Pretty much trial and error as far as orientation and spacing of the 2 antennas go according to the Wilson antenna guy i spoke with. He said ppl don't normally buy 2. All he could really tell me about them is that they were extremely directional and they were pretty time consuming to hone in on the tower. Gonna take them out to my parents place and see if they'll reach a tower ~8 miles away to see if a setup like mine would be feasible for them.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:37 pm

There is a build of the WiFiX firmware that apparently has a login option where you can get the signal stats updated in near realtime instead of having to run the command manually in the misc modem screen. I think this would help you greatly in aiming the antennas. If you have a hand held signal meter, that would work too, but most people don't have those. :D
These users thanked the author xdavidx for the post:
Need4Speed (Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:37 pm)