26 dBi ultra wide-band parabolic grid antenna

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Need4Speed

Re: 26 dBi ultra wide-band parabolic grid antenna

Post by Need4Speed » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:07 pm

AntennaRaul wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:50 pm
Hello all, I just found this long thread about the wide band parabolic grid. I work at the design and fabrication shop and lab where it originated and can answer any questions. How can I help?
Hello Raul,
I've installed 2 of these at my own home and 2 at my parents place, both identical setups except for the length of the lmr400. When I ordered them from signalboosters.com I asked for information about them and they had a rep from Wilson antenna call me back. He really didn't tell me much I didn't already know. So far I absolutely love the performance from the antennas so hats off for amazing results! I'm connected to a tower 7 miles from the tower with full signal(-75 to -80). I've driven to the tower and got -76 with my phone. My parents are connected to the same tower as I am but are 10 miles from the tower. They get -85 to-90. Furthest I've been able to reach was a tower 19.2 miles away with -90 signal which is unbelievable!

Only real question I have is about the spacing between the two grids. I currently have them 28" from the edge of one grid to edge of the other. Mount brackets are about 5' apart. So far I have not had any issues so have just had the mindset "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Attachments
20191003_171559.jpg

AntennaRaul

Post by AntennaRaul » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi Need4Speed, Looks like a nice install. You can normally use a parabolic antenna almost edge to edge. However this one I suggest 12" edge to edge. The reflector grid is actually undersized at the lower bands 600 to around 900 Mhz. The wavelengths there are large and the feed horns might start "seeing" each other. However less so if in a cross-pol set up like you have. The cross pol set up will have wavelengths off by 90 degrees and enjoy a good bit of attenuation between them.
Excuse my lateness to reply as I had not seen any activity on this thread lately

These antennas get so much distance that latency at the high mileage comes into play and may slow data down, depending on the carrier signal equipment, modem quality and brand. I dont know those details as Im only working with antennas.
These users thanked the author AntennaRaul for the post:
Need4Speed (Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:44 am)

AntennaRaul

Post by AntennaRaul » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:33 pm

2nd reply.... If you need to squeeze the last drop of dBi gain on this or any tower mounted antenna, try putting the radio right below them in a waterproof box. Run the ethernet cable or power wire to the modem and save all that cable loss (and expense)