How much will an antenna improve signal

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
swwifty

Re: How much will an antenna improve signal

Post by swwifty » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Rizzader wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:09 pm
Thanks, Swwifty. I appreciate all the information. Looks like the store only has one of those antennas in stock, but when more are in stock I plan on ordering a set with all adapters/cables.

Looks like you spent a good amount of time getting your setup together. If I could pull off downloads in the 60+ range, I would be ecstatic.
You could get away with one for now, but long term, you for sure want two antennas for a lot of reasons.

I did spend a lot of time on it, but it was worth it, in the event that I ever have problems with either connection (plus I benefit from much faster speeds)

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:15 pm

oh, just realized I forgot to ask your other questions about bandwidth.

Certain bands aren't typically slower than another, but there's a few things to note:

1. Band speed is dependent upon its bandwith (LTE deploys in 1.4,3,5,10,15,20mhz bandwidths. the wider the better)

2. Typically the bands (Band 12 or 13 for example) that are lower frequency are lower bandwidth, because they are more valuable as they penetrate obstacles better, and increase cell coverage range.

3. Bands that are higher frequency are less desirable for carriers, so they are cheaper to buy a license from the FCC for, so you typically get higher bandwith in them. For example at my home Band 2 is 20mhz wide, and Band 12 is 10mhz wide.

All of this is entirely specific to a certain area, and can vary quite significantly even over short distances (it entirely depends on how the carrier allocates their spectrum)

Hope that helps clarify things.

Rizzader

Post by Rizzader » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Yeah where I live LTE or satellite internet is my only option, and satellite charges by the GB. The stronger/more reliable I can get my LTE signal, the better.

So on the bandwidth, if I did get an antenna and pointed at a tower with different bands, such as the one with band 2, there is a chance that could lead to increased bandwidth as well? I may end up being limited by the nighthawk, as it does not support band locking of any kind.

I suspect I’ll eventually I’ll have to make my own modem/router combo, but I was trying to tough it out until 5G becomes reality.

Rizzader

Post by Rizzader » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:20 am

Would this antenna work as well?

https://ltefix.com/shop/antennas/adm-1d ... o-antenna/

Just noticed it was in stock and sometimes I’m a little impatient...

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:30 pm

Rizzader wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:20 am
Would this antenna work as well?

https://ltefix.com/shop/antennas/adm-1d ... o-antenna/

Just noticed it was in stock and sometimes I’m a little impatient...
I wouldn't worry about band locking, in fact, its not the best idea, and honestly I don't recommend it.

That antenna will work just fine, only slightly less gain, but it'll get the job done.

Rizzader

Post by Rizzader » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Well so far I have decided to hold out. I saw your post comparing all the different antenna strengths, and now I am holding out for two of these:

https://ltefix.com/shop/antennas/700-27 ... l-antenna/

If only this site would get them back in stock :(

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:25 pm

Rizzader wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:08 pm
Well so far I have decided to hold out. I saw your post comparing all the different antenna strengths, and now I am holding out for two of these:

https://ltefix.com/shop/antennas/700-27 ... l-antenna/

If only this site would get them back in stock :(
Sent you a PM.