I need a bit of help...

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
gscheb

Re: I need a bit of help...

Post by gscheb » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:52 am

Hello,
In my experience the We-Boost is great for getting phones to work if you don't have good service to make calls and what not.
But for home LTE internet better off with just antennas to the device itself. The We-Boost will create noise and degrade signal quality and it seems to make the signal boost up and down. Makes it unstable.
At least this was my experience with it.

I still have this a We-Boost for my phones and separate periodic log directional antennas for my LTE modem.

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:00 am

WhiskeyLifa wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:20 pm
What are the highest gain antennas that I can buy, honestly? I’m at the point where dumping a few hundred dollars just for antennas is worth it.

Also, what about the WeBoost situation? can it even handle the dual antenna and still see results, or is wiring it straight into my Nighthawk the way to go?
highest gain isn't always the best.

I'd go with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-VT-BV1102 ... lp_pl_dp_2

WhiskeyLifa

Post by WhiskeyLifa » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:01 pm

Didneywhorl wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:49 am
https://www.signalboosters.com/bolton-t ... l-antenna/

About as good as it gets I think

Im unfamiliar with the boosters, I dont think its needed. Its kind of a niche product
I’ve considered those, but they are pretty steep if I’m going to buy two. I’ll use those as a last resort though.

Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:11 pm

I agree, but you asked ;)

I use narrow band flat panel mimo antennas. They work well for me, but they are just for Sprint Band41. Ltefix.com sells them, but I think the wide band versions are on order now, soon to be back in stock
LTE noob, for sure. Learning though.

terryjett

Post by terryjett » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm

Really hard to recommend anything when not sure of your terrain and environment (other than your description).

One thing for sure: DO NOT use a splitter to combine two antennas into one port! LTE is not designed to operate like that and you will end up with very poor results. If you must a use amplifiers, use two.

If you have a really weak signal, any amplifier will not help as it will also amplify the noise.

Yagi antennas can produce mixed results when they do not have a clear and open path to the tower. Kind of hit and miss.

Hotspots with TS-9 connectors are a poor choice for full-time internet use. I highly recommend you invest in a router with SMA type connectors. LTEFIX has a great selection of lower end (but still great performing) like the WE-826 series.

Also, you should try the LTEFIX store for your antennas :) For instance, these flat panels: https://ltefix.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... -n-female/

The store also has (had) very good yagi's if you decide to go that route. You may wish to inquire at store before ordering anything else where.

If you insist on staying with hotspot that uses TS-9 connectors, be sure to use top quality adapters and coax cable. No matter how good your antennas area, cheap high loss cable and TS-9 adapters will kill any gain made. LMR400 is a great choice for cable.

Bottom line: Your budget will dictate the performance. Yagi's are not always going to help in areas with no LOS since they have a tighter beamwidth. First thing I would try are flat panels, but just my opinion.

You also might consider getting a site survey (now in the store).
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

WhiskeyLifa

Post by WhiskeyLifa » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:42 pm

I did some research and found a structure being built two miles from my house, I contacted the company tasked with building it and they told me AT&T should have equipment on it by mid-2020. Ive contacted AT&T technical support and nobody can give me answers about it, which is ridiculous lol.

I’m going to go with two 11dB gain Yagis and work on finding that sweet spot. Hope they work.

WhiskeyLifa

Post by WhiskeyLifa » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:45 pm

terryjett wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm
Really hard to recommend anything when not sure of your terrain and environment (other than your description).

One thing for sure: DO NOT use a splitter to combine two antennas into one port! LTE is not designed to operate like that and you will end up with very poor results. If you must a use amplifiers, use two.

If you have a really weak signal, any amplifier will not help as it will also amplify the noise.

Yagi antennas can produce mixed results when they do not have a clear and open path to the tower. Kind of hit and miss.

Hotspots with TS-9 connectors are a poor choice for full-time internet use. I highly recommend you invest in a router with SMA type connectors. LTEFIX has a great selection of lower end (but still great performing) like the WE-826 series.

Also, you should try the LTEFIX store for your antennas :) For instance, these flat panels: https://ltefix.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... -n-female/

The store also has (had) very good yagi's if you decide to go that route. You may wish to inquire at store before ordering anything else where.

If you insist on staying with hotspot that uses TS-9 connectors, be sure to use top quality adapters and coax cable. No matter how good your antennas area, cheap high loss cable and TS-9 adapters will kill any gain made. LMR400 is a great choice for cable.

Bottom line: Your budget will dictate the performance. Yagi's are not always going to help in areas with no LOS since they have a tighter beamwidth. First thing I would try are flat panels, but just my opinion.

You also might consider getting a site survey (now in the store).
I’ve considered the site survey and may end up doing it. As stated, I’m willing to try anything at this point. My wife was telling me she was getting a consistent 18-20 mbps last night, which is good...but it doesn’t last.

I’ll definitely speak with who I have to before ordering anything, especially about a return policy if they happen to not work.