Antenna mast build & grounds

How To Tutorials related to Antennas
swwifty

Re: Antenna mast build & grounds

Post by swwifty » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:31 pm

I would think if you don't want to add length or buy new cables, just put it at the top of the tower.

Could you maybe just splice your LMR cable to add the grounding? I'm about to have to learn how to do this anyway for running cables without connectors on them.

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:55 pm

Hello swwifty,
Actually today called proxicast tech support. Called them since it is where the lmr 400 was purchased from. Basically he told me there is nothing wrong with putting lighting arrestees at the top of the line at the antenna level. Said they usually advise to put them before they enter the building to decrease ground wire lengths. But if I could ground mine to the tower itself that would be fine.
He also said that lightening arresters don't help with static electricity. Only for lightening strike.
He also said that with the shielding on lmr 400 that static electric isn't an issue.
Based on this starting to think that I don't really have to ground my setup. Does everyone ground these things? Is it completely necessary?

Need4Speed

Post by Need4Speed » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:53 pm

At the top is fine, just be sure to weatherproof all threaded connections exposed to the elements really well. He was correct that the arresters do not stop static electricity. I'm unfamiliar how the proxicast antennas are constructed so can't comment about the ground shielding in the lmr400 protecting against static. As for my antennas, they're aluminum grids, steel mounts, and mounted on an all steel pole and tower. Not much plastic at all on them. So my setup is all highly conductive and basically a magnet for static. That's why I put the times microwave ground straps on. My thought is that they will wick static directly to ground before they reach my arresters. Preventing static from reaching the arresters will help them keep their charge since static degrades the gas charge. My setup is pretty extreme vs most but I only wanted to do it once and not ever be nervous during a storm. If you really want the best arresters out there I'd suggest Polyphaser coil induction arresters. They never degrade and only need replacement if you take a direct strike. They also don't have to be grounded which makes installation a breeze. But like most things I suggest, they aren't cheap ($90 each). I installed these on my parents set up which is identical to mine except for the lmr400 length. They have 75' runs. Was really nice to be able to to just plug them right in line without having to run ground wires!

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:25 pm

gscheb wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:55 pm
Hello swwifty,
Actually today called proxicast tech support. Called them since it is where the lmr 400 was purchased from. Basically he told me there is nothing wrong with putting lighting arrestees at the top of the line at the antenna level. Said they usually advise to put them before they enter the building to decrease ground wire lengths. But if I could ground mine to the tower itself that would be fine.
He also said that lightening arresters don't help with static electricity. Only for lightening strike.
He also said that with the shielding on lmr 400 that static electric isn't an issue.
Based on this starting to think that I don't really have to ground my setup. Does everyone ground these things? Is it completely necessary?
hmm, first time i've heard that, but doesn't mean its not true.

It's up to you if you want to ground things are not, but I've had issues with nearby lightening strikes causing damage to my equipment so be careful in doing things properly. I don't think the arrestors would save your equipment in a direct lightening strike, but maybe if one is nearby?