Problems with signal

Questions and Support related to Antennas
farberm

Re: Problems with signal

Post by farberm » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:30 pm

blames: Yes I know where the tower is located. I turned the direction about every 15 degrees in a 180 degree (90 degrees each way from what I think is ideal) turn just to make sure that things were not way off. The main location I had them pointed should have been within 15 degrees of ideal. The antennas are not mounted yet. Maybe when I get them up higher they would not be susceptible to scatter. I was just trying to test before I spend a bit of money on getting them mounted thru the roof. I was also trying to see if maybe I need an omni antenna instead of the directional since I have a few trees to get thru? Current download speed inside with omnis is 20-30, upload 2-6. Any suggestions are welcomed....

bjames

Post by bjames » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:03 pm

farberm wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:30 pm
The antennas are not mounted yet. Maybe when I get them up higher they would not be susceptible to scatter.
I would think it would be hard to test them at ground level and get any sort of accurate readings. Even signal reflections off the ground can have an adverse effect on the signals and polarity. Are you able to temporary mount them at the location where the final installation will rest?

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:03 pm

farberm wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:30 pm
blames: Yes I know where the tower is located. I turned the direction about every 15 degrees in a 180 degree (90 degrees each way from what I think is ideal) turn just to make sure that things were not way off. The main location I had them pointed should have been within 15 degrees of ideal. The antennas are not mounted yet. Maybe when I get them up higher they would not be susceptible to scatter. I was just trying to test before I spend a bit of money on getting them mounted thru the roof. I was also trying to see if maybe I need an omni antenna instead of the directional since I have a few trees to get thru? Current download speed inside with omnis is 20-30, upload 2-6. Any suggestions are welcomed....
From my experience (and its not always the case obviously) but the external antennas you should be able to get 2x the download speed as omnis (assuming no congestion)

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:10 pm

farberm wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:27 pm
Swwiffy: I need to figure out how to run AT commands on the MOFI. WhenI do then I can get you the LTEinfo you request. What should it look like? It may ne in another location for the MOFI4500?

Yes the the Directional antennas were outside and the OMNIs were inside. That alone would help the signal some. I would have expected a much larger gain in signal. The small omni are only 4db gain where the direction are 15db.

I did not do a speed test, but will try that maybe next weekend.
Yeah, I guess thats whats odd, cause normally just moving your antennas outside one can pickup 10dbm (or 10x stronger signal).

I would try a speed test comparison. That's the real test.

farberm

Post by farberm » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:44 pm

I had the outside antennas up about 20 feet off the ground. (I used a balcony and the mounting pole that I have to place them just outside the window and within one foot of the height, where the inside omni antennas are located. Now remember the LMR400 cable was 18 feet in length so that would subtract some of the signal gain, but minimal from the calculations I did prior.

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:45 am

farberm wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:44 pm
I had the outside antennas up about 20 feet off the ground. (I used a balcony and the mounting pole that I have to place them just outside the window and within one foot of the height, where the inside omni antennas are located. Now remember the LMR400 cable was 18 feet in length so that would subtract some of the signal gain, but minimal from the calculations I did prior.
I would think 20 feet off the ground would be sufficient.

Are the antennas facing the tower without the signals having to cross the roof to reach the antennas. If not, the reflection issue mentioned above may be part of the issue. Signals may also reverse their polarity when reflecting off a surface.

farberm

Post by farberm » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:07 pm

The antennas are facing the tower. The house is three stories tall and behind the antennas. So the antennas are between the house and the tower. See diagram. Not to scale by the way.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 8.06.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 8.06.19 PM.png (19.11 KiB) Viewed 1780 times

Frankhah

Problems with signal

Post by Frankhah » Mon May 27, 2019 10:45 pm

do you have a tree-free and building-free signal path from any potential mounting location towards any of your desired cities?

swwifty

Post by swwifty » Thu May 30, 2019 7:12 pm

farberm wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:27 pm
Swwiffy: I need to figure out how to run AT commands on the MOFI. WhenI do then I can get you the LTEinfo you request. What should it look like? It may ne in another location for the MOFI4500?

Yes the the Directional antennas were outside and the OMNIs were inside. That alone would help the signal some. I would have expected a much larger gain in signal. The small omni are only 4db gain where the direction are 15db.

I did not do a speed test, but will try that maybe next weekend.
sorry I didn't respond sooner. did you get this figured out?