WAN Bonding with ROOter and OpenMPTCProuter

How To Tutorials related to Routers and Firmware
mtl26637
Has thanked: 0

Re: WAN Bonding with ROOter and OpenMPTCProuter

Post by mtl26637 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:36 am

I just wanted to come back here and give a big thanks to bnhf2 for posting this information. I had no idea that openmptcprouter even existed and was always under the impression truly combining WAN connections wasn't possible. I do agree that this isn't for everyone and it would help to have a little knowledge of networking but I would think that would be a fair assumption if you read this forum. I already had a free online vps setup through amazon AWS for my reverse ssh tunnel so I was already familiar with the remote portion. Word of caution though, the only AWS instance I could get to boot was the t2.micro. Any upgrades to the instance rendered the instance unusable. I spent TOO much time with amazon before throwing in the towel and going with a vultr instance instead. That being said, even though I was extremely familiar with amazon's services, I'm glad I went with vultr in the long run. Ultimately I'm still not sure what the top limit is on network speeds with the free t2.micro instance, and I'm sure monthly bandwidth would have eventually come into play.

Now that its all said and done, I have 2 WAN connections. 1) ATT+WE826 and 2) ATT+WE1326. Those 2 are load balanced and ran to my main netgear home router to run the house. Off to the side and completely separate from that I have both of these WAN connections (direct to the lan ports of both routers and before load balancing) connected to a Raspberry Pi 4 using cheap gigabit 'usb to ethernet' adapters. The true gigabit ethernet port of the pi4 is connected to a separate gigabit switch where I connect my main workstations for the extra speeds offered by MPTCP. Of course the pi4 is running openmptcprouter and offers average download/upload speeds of around 110/65 Mbps. Not to mention having a true static public ip address now, I could ultimately ditch my reverse ssh tunnel setup, but I just can't do it knowing how much time and effort I've invested into that over the past year.

Once again, thank you bnhf2. If it wasn't for this post I would have never known of this. I'm extremely surprised that this isn't a MUCH more popular thread honestly. I think it might be mistaken or misunderstood what it truly is or something. I put in a lot of work probably but the payoff is worth it if you like tinkering with this stuff. And by the looks of it, MPTCP is still rather new technology and this will all be common and in place automatically in the next 5 years or so. Just to think, a little over a year ago I told my local dsl provider to piss off and got rid of my 5-10 down 0.5-1 up Mbps internet connection that cost more than both of the above combined. Still pisses me off thinking about it really, what a scam eh..

docderwood

Post by docderwood » Sun May 31, 2020 7:38 pm

Would be appreciative if you could recommend a VPS/hosting company?

bnhf2

Post by bnhf2 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:54 pm

docderwood wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:38 pm
Would be appreciative if you could recommend a VPS/hosting company?
Hard to argue with Vultr, if you're in the U.S -- my current OMR VPS is running me $5/mo. Use whichever of their datacenters that's closest to you.

Otherwise, have a look at the list of tested platforms in the OMR documentation:

https://github.com/Ysurac/openmptcprout ... te-the-VPS

Theoretically, any server that is running one of the supported operating systems can be used, including at a friend's or relative's house. Obviously, the upload and download speeds at such a location would need to be greater than whatever your aggregated WAN speeds could reach, or you'd be creating a bottleneck.

I'd recommend veering away from one of the tested commercial providers only if your networking skills are well above average.

docderwood

Post by docderwood » Sun May 31, 2020 7:57 pm

My skills definitely aren't above average!

Fortunate to have GoogleFiber (w/o static IP) at one place....but still think commercial VPS would be better. Thx!

bnhf2

Post by bnhf2 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:18 pm

mtl26637 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:36 am
If it wasn't for this post I would have never known of this. I'm extremely surprised that this isn't a MUCH more popular thread honestly
Glad you found the post useful! I'm amazed too at the relatively modest interest in what OpenMPTCProuter has to offer.

I'm currently in an area with very limited Internet options -- each local provider seems to be capped at around 4Mbps on the d/l and 1Mbps on the u/l. However, by combining a DSL connection with two cellular links, I'm able to get 12Mbps/3Mbps which is a nice bump over 4Mbps/1Mbps.

Whether I'm camped where my combined connections exceed 200Mbps, or in a spot like where I am now, OMR delivers.

docderwood

Post by docderwood » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:28 pm

"Qotom x86 (i3) industrial PC with 4x gigabit Ethernet ports, 2x USB3 and 2x USB2 ports".....

Could you tell me which of these you have (ie how much RAM/SSD size etc)?

I've set up a Vultr VPS and installed Debian etc as above.

Please poke holes in what I'm hoping to do:

1) Currently have Verizon LTE unlimited plan (have had for years) pulls 15-30 (rarely 50) from dual Yagi's and Sierra Wireless EM7565

2) Use either a Tmobile or ATT plan in a MOFI SIM7. Leaning towards Tmobile since I have line of site 4-7 miles away. ATT not so much.

Use Qutom to bond the two before handing off to a router...have a Mikrotik or older Edgerouter.

Any advice? Anyone do this sort of work on the side to help a networking neophyte?

mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:52 pm

Unfortunately, (and thats a big unfortunately), Verizon doesn't support MPTCP as of yet. I can't remember exactly where I read this, but did confirm it today. Hopefully they will support this in the future though. Please someone tell me i'm totally mistaken?

docderwood

Post by docderwood » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:49 pm

mtl26637 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:52 pm
Unfortunately, (and thats a big unfortunately), Verizon doesn't support MPTCP as of yet. I can't remember exactly where I read this, but did confirm it today. Hopefully they will support this in the future though. Please someone tell me i'm totally mistaken?
Uh-oh....hope that's not the case.

I looked here to see if there were support issues but didn't find anything: https://github.com/Ysurac/openmptcprouter/issues/950

docderwood

Post by docderwood » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:14 pm

bnhf2,

Just to confirm.....you aren't having any luck doing this with Verizon Wireless? Was hoping to bond VZ wireless with Tmobile.

If Verizon Wireless doesn't allow bonding, can I set a cap on VZ and have it kick over to Tmobile using this setup? thx!

mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:30 pm

bnhf2 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:41 pm
Also, some providers block multipath, the most notable one for me so far is Verizon. Not sure if they do it everywhere, but they are near me. AT&T and Sprint have been no problem, and they're the fastest anyway. :-) Also, I get limited value out of my 3rd WAN as it's the same provider, on the same tower as WAN1. It's nice to spread my data usage across all of these SIMs I'm paying for anyway. Speeds are great, and it's a very responsive and robust connection.
Looked back through to try to find where I read it. Here is where I seen it (look at first page of this thread) and can confirm it does not work for me either. Spent a couple hours yesterday trying to setup a third WAN connection. Got it all setup and connected but VZW would not allow any of the MPTCP connections :(.